Disabilities

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
wedoada said:
No offense taken Tom in fact we sound a lot alike, I hate the whole PC thing too.

RandyW

Ditto.

And as I said, I don't argue with a CM who says no, I just skip that ride. Standing at the fastpass entrance arguing just annoys even more people.

My situation is a little unusual, so I'm quite tolerant. If the wait for a ride is long enough I'd be at risk, I'll show my GAC. If that gets me into the FP line, great! If not, it won't ruin my vacation.

Nansafan

We have been blessed to not have anyone in our group who has a disability whereby we needed special assistance until 2 summers ago. Half way through our vacation, my 13 yr old neice sprained her ankle. This involved an ambulance ride to Celebration hospital, xrays, a splint and a very long night. We then needed a wheelchair for the next 3 days of our trip. It was quite interesting to see how the different attractions accommodated the wheel chair user and her party, there were 5 of us in total. My neice was so anxious to show everyone she was feeling better hopping on her good foot that I was afraid she would injure that one as well. I am so glad this was a one time shot for us and have sympathy for all who live with wheelchairs, ECV's and crutches on a daily basis. The world is full of people who will take advantage but I try to keep an eye on the one's who really need the help. They would trade with me in a minute I'm sure.

lunalovegoddess

Tigggrl said:
Ok, here is my view from here.....I have an injury...its not a visible one...Its in my spine:lookaroun ...I am facing the possibility of having surgery for it, as we have exhausted every avenue, and the whole pain management sux, The steroid shots have helped me gain weight, and its very depressing and not to mention annoying. I walk the treadmill 3 times a week, for 10 minutes on SLOOOWWW.....I can not stand for long periods of time, and walking alot is out of the question...I cant ride my bike, or skate...this is so hard as I used to be extremely active. Sitting on the puter is getting easier, but shoulder surgery was no fun. I tried the wheelchair rental thing last week at Disneyland, because after 10 hours, WITH a steroid patch and rest, I was in so much pain I could not sleep. I HATED it...and I am sure I am eligible for handicap parking, but refuse to get it...I am stubborn, and the pain wins out....so if you see me at WDW, in my current state, do not assume I am lazy....I really am in pain, and I have a dr. note and 5 different meds to prove it...

*hugs*
My mom has a similar problem. For almost 30 yrs she has had problems with her back, due to an old injury. Within the past 2 yrs it has become disabling. She does not use a wheelchair to get around because she is uncomfortable sitting or standing for long amounts of time. She also cannot walk for long amounts of time either. Her doctor's orders are that she rest for as long as she is comfortable and then get some walking in so that her muscles don't atrophy or her joints don't lock up on her. (among other problems) Looking at her, you would not be able to tell what the problem is, like Monty said. If someone saw her using a wheelchair and then walking around for a little while, they probably would give her the same treatment.
I think everyone has offered fairly accurate input from both sides of the story. Most people with disabilities do not need to use wheelchairs all the time, and it is difficult to tell just by looking at them.

tigger2

hi all,

this is a topic thats close to my heart as i'm a carer for disabled children. i have 6 children and each of them are different and would require a guest assistance pass for different reasons.

one of them has cerebral palsy, a tracheostomy and epilesy, she has a life limiting medical condition and is often quite poorly, she has the most severe disability of all the children i care for but she is probably the one that would need it the least - apart from the fact that the wheelchair wouldn't go through the lines!

the other children all have autism, this is, on the whole, an invivisible disability. they are all able to walk, 1 of them can talk as an average child, 2 of them can say some words. none of them can stand being close to people they don't know, they do not like physical contact at all really, this can cause them to become VERY anxious and have what we describe as a 'meltdown' most people would describe as a tantrum! but seeing a 9 year old have a huge through himself on the floor, bang his head tantrum is distressing for his family, for the people in the queue next to us but mainly incredibly distressing for the child, they do not understand why they have to be in that position, they also do not understand the concept of waiting - 2 of the children can now wait about 5 minutes which is a real breakthrough.

the thing is, these kids are not in wheelchairs, the run, they spin, they scream, they laugh, they jump, all the things that people think makes them 'normal', their problem is that they just can't cope with the queue lines.

the thing is these kids have to live with a terrible disability, the world really doesn't make much sense to them at all, the fact that they can enjoy disney like anybody else really makes such a difference to lives. we couldn't do it without the guest assistance card.

BTW, disneyland resort paris insist that you have some form of proof of your disability. we take a letter that details the child gets disability living allowance, you can use disabled parking permit, letter from dr etc

thank you, sorry it is long winded!!

I have a 11 year old daughter with mutilple handicaps, along with a seizure disorder and visual imairment, but to the outward apperance, she looks typical. Until you start to pay attention to it. We use a wheelchair for her. She can walk, but when she decides she is done, that is it, she sits or we are carrying her. I suppose we are so used to living with her condition, it is second nature. We did not get the assistance card the last time we were there. We just used the exits where possible. We ususally feel guilty utilizing the advantages that the wheelchair sometimes bring us. We would happily wait for that next bus if there was a long line and many sleeping kids and we came up later than them. The bus driver usually insists you board first. I always feel bad passing up line goers, but for us, it beats holding a 55 lbs. girl through the whole line. I even rarely use the handicap placard for the car. We are just that way. It does make me mad when you see an obvious misuse of the system. But there will always be those people.

DivaJ69

edwardtc said:
Well, I'm usually pretty outspoken on topics like this, so I'll be tactful. And as a disclaimer, I mean NO disrespect to those of you (specifically those who have posted in this thread) that have honest-to-goodness disabilities, be they seen or unseen.

The only way to fix the abuse problem is to offend SOMEONE and be utterly invasive of privacy - or to just use personal judgement, which often doesn't work. I, personally, would be the last person WDW would want at Guest Services deciding who gets a Pass or not - because I'm quick to pre-judge everyone I see. Someone like MontyMon would come in, and for reasons he stated himself, I'd be quick to doubt him and his needs. That's why I don't work in places like that, haha.

There are PLENTY of people who abuse the system. I'll be in the grocery store (like last Wednesday) and see some utterly obese woman driving around in an ECV, bumping displays, parking in the middle of aisles while she looks at everything on the shelf, and then barks at a stock boy to get her a 12-pack of coke and put it in her basket. Oh God, I wanted to.....do bad things. She's probably someone who'd go to WDW with her family of 12 and get an ECV, then take all 12 of them to the front of every line, because she can't drink Diet Coke (don't flame me with the "she might have a gland issue" comments - this is an example).

So, a CM sees someone like the woman above, and if he/she tries to judge them and decline front-of-line access to them - they could be in for some problems. I'd LOVE to be the one who actually decides who gets a Pass or not - but like I already said, I'd be too harsh. I appreciate Wedoada's comment about waiting in line with everyone else. Not many in his/her place would say something like that. I'll say that people with severe disabilities or other lifelong illnesses have "done their time" waiting in doctor offices, operating rooms, and simply dealing with life as a disabled person - and I feel for them. Perhaps some of those people, by individual opinion, should get a front-of-the-line pass, and maybe take their closest family members (who have probably waited in doctor offices with them for years). But I, personally, don't want Big Bertha to drive up to the front of the line with her 12 cousins and aunts and uncles and cut everyone who has been waiting in line - but that's just me.

I HATE situations like the girl and dad RUNNING to ToT - there is no way in my mind that they deserve special treatment. The 3 guys in ECV's at Epcot were PROBABLY abusing the system, but as someone said, they MAY really have had something that justified it. 2 people RUNNING to a ride are not justified - period...especially when they exlaim out loud that they're expecting it. UGH! I just wish we didn't have to be so P.C. nowadays - God forbid we offend someone in order to try to make it a better place for everyone.

Sorry for the soapbox - and again, no offense to the disabled parties who have posted in here..and I apologize if anything that I wrote offended you.

-Tom :wave:

Do you think "Big Bertha" chooses to be obese? Obviously you have an issue with morbidly obese people. Obesity is an illness/disease AND (in the case of the morbidly obese) a legitimate disability. Would you have made the same comments if the lady you saw in the grocery store wasn't "utterly obese" but a thin disabled person who was bumping into displays, parking in the middle of aisles, and barking at stockboys? Would you have called her "Leg-less Lucy"? Or "Gimpy Sue"? I doubt it.

Not all obese people are the lazy self-indulgent human beings you make them out to be. Shame on you.

DisneyBunny

*Treads very lightly*

Having just spent a few days in the world with two delightful people who need assistance in the form of an ECV and a push wheelchair, I would like to offer just a few thoughts that haven't already been touched upon.

Whatever small conveniences may come from having a GAC card, or which few rides you might have a lessened wait (See barnum's wonderful list for the truth of that), the hassle that it is to just navigate the crowds in Disney while in a chair, is unimaginable for those who have never done it before. People in general don't watch where they're going. I was even guilty a few times of that myself when we were with our friends. But that fact makes transversing the pathways when they're even moderatley crowded a nightmare. The ability to freely navigate your body through a crowd is a luxury for some people.

And when the crowds thicken, it is nearly impossible to move anywhere. When we tried to leave after Spectro one night, on our way down Main Street we had to form a human barrier around one of the chairs to ensure that nobody came barreling into her - and our being there stopped that from happening several times!

It's just some food for thought. We all need to grow more tolerant of other people. And even though I've been cut off from getting onto a bus because of a massive wheelchair party, I try to remind myself of just how good I have it, and how lucky I am that I can stand/walk freely at all.

*backs away cautiously*

Floridasunshine

DisneyBunny said:
We all need to grow more tolerant of other people. And even though I've been cut off from getting onto a bus because of a massive wheelchair party, I try to remind myself of just how good I have it, and how lucky I am that I can stand/walk freely at all.

How true! Last Sunday I was at Animal Kingdom... There was a party of about 6 people.... There was a legless woman with dwarfism (sorry if that is not the correct word) there who had a little girl with obvious disability (about 5 years old) as well as dwarfism sitting in her lap strapped in. There was also another adult (caretaker?) and another elderly person in a wheelchair with another adult in their party.

When that little girl climbed down out of that chair and hobbled over to Donald Duck with the biggest smile on her face and then looked up at the elderly woman (Grandma?) who also was smiling back with this huge smile, it made me feel bad for any annoyance I felt on waiting on wheelchair bound folk....

It is only by grace that we are not in the same situation ....

Tigggrl

No offense of any kind taken here! I just want to thank those who are tolerant, and it helps to feel that people understand, Because, to be honest, there are days when I don't understand, or just plain get frustrated by it all. I want to go to WDW before I have to have any surgery, because I know how to deal with things as they are now, and the possibility of getting another steroid shot before I go is good.
Thanks again!
:wave:

tigger2

hi

thank you to all those tolerant people....i think the thing to remember is that often these kids (and adults) have a difficult time, everthing is so much more difficult to do but they do it, they get on with life without complaining. i think its great that disney world recognise that these people have as much right to access these activities an dif that means that the only way they can achieve that is to use another entrance or to wait in a quieter less busy area then great.

we could not take these kids to disney without this assistance and the pleasure they get out of these trips is just fantastic.

rdour@techminds

I'm visually impaired, and I use the guest assistance passes. It may not be obvious why, but do a search on it using my screenname and you'll find my description why I do it. Or listen to the Let's talk About Disney podcast from late Feb.

The point is, I am blind. I use a cane. I also have albinism (I'm an albino). this combination of conditions is quite rare. But do I have ID on me all of the time to prove it, of course not. One major thing that I will never understand about the ADA is why they don't have standard issue ID cards. These could be simple IDs protected in a similar copy protection method as state IDs. However, these would be incredibly useful. I am constantly getting doctors notes for proof of disability for one reason or another. If I could just surrender an ID for a few minutes while someone verifies it, my life would be so much easier. It would potentially eliminate fraud.

I understand, people hate being under a form of control like an ID, but why not? I'm sure people with "invisible" conditions would appreciate a solid piece of evidence they could present in any situation.

I'm going to be traveling an awful lot very soon, my new job is quite exciting in that aspect. But you know what's gonna be a b***h? Getting transportation in many cities. I can't drive, and cabs are expensive. I have a RTA reduced fare card in my area (Chicago IL). Imagine having to come up with doctor notes for every major city I need to visit, or just deal with faxing all of the time. Nope, a single federal issued ID would just take care of that right away. In fact, make it all centralized so that trained, medical or clinical staff can make that assessment. Some people may have some problems with such a system, because diagnosis may not exist for their condition. But let us cross that bridge when we get to it.

Ryan

tink81

Exactly, tolerence is a virtue. It's sad enough that grown adults judge who is or isn't wheelchair or ECV worthy, but to spread that ignorance to their children....two visits ago I was waiting in line at Peter Pan's Flight. We were two groups away from boarding the ride and a group with a person in a wheelchair came through the FP line and boarded. The two boys in front of me WITH THEIR PARENTS all but fell over from shock and disgust "why do they get our boat mommy?" "we waited for 5 hours for our turn and they just walked up and got on, NO FAIR" What's even more disgusting is the parents agreed and started in on the CM about "you can tell they don't really need that wheelchair, did you see how she just hopped out of that thing?" "That isn't right, blah blah blah.."

We should all look at the big picture, if you consider getting on a few rides at Disney World because of a disability a *perk*, re-evaluate your priorities. When these people leave WDW, they still have to live with their ailments! I wish everyone who struggles with a disability, peace. :sohappy:

wedoada

I actually created a nice credit card type ADA ID Card for myself at a site online.

It is not an "Official" card but it shows my photo, name & DOB on the front and on the back it says the following:

The bearer of this card is a Person with a Disability as defined by the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA).

If there is a need to verify this status contact:

(my doctor's name, hospital and phone number)

It has worked pretty well on the rare occassions that I have needed it.

I can email a scan of it to anyone who'd like to see it along with the website where I got it. it was like $15.00 including shipping and it is VERY high quality.

RandyW

Tom

Beta Return
DivaJ69 said:
Do you think "Big Bertha" chooses to be obese? Obviously you have an issue with morbidly obese people. Obesity is an illness/disease AND (in the case of the morbidly obese) a legitimate disability. Would you have made the same comments if the lady you saw in the grocery store wasn't "utterly obese" but a thin disabled person who was bumping into displays, parking in the middle of aisles, and barking at stockboys? Would you have called her "Leg-less Lucy"? Or "Gimpy Sue"? I doubt it.

Not all obese people are the lazy self-indulgent human beings you make them out to be. Shame on you.

I think you missed my point. I decided to use SOME "disability" for my example, and that was the one that came to mind because I encountered it recently. I could have made one up, I suppose, but it would have ended up offending someone else.

Yes, I understand that obesity can sometimes not be helped - but I also recognize that there are many obese people who just enjoy eating too much - and can fix that problem in any number of ways (from dieting to surgery). I don't really care what this specific woman's reason was for being as bulky as she was - I had a problem with how she behaved. She had NO respect for anyone around her...the world revolved around her. Sure, her life is probably pretty rough being in her condition, but that doesn't give her the RIGHT to TELL a stockboy (who was minding his own business, stocking the milk cooler) to get her cases of Coke - she could have asked him, not TELL him. And she could have parked on the side of aisles while browsing the merchandise rather than stopping right in the middle of it while I, and others, were trying to navigate from one end to another.

I could go on and on about things like this, but I won't. I was using her as an example of people who abuse the system, and EXPECT everyone to cater to them - not as an example of a "fake disease" or to make her out as a lesser quality citizen because of her weight. If "Legless Lucy" was doing the same things that this woman was doing, and acted like royalty, I'd say the same things about her.

I'm sorry for offending you - not my intent. As others have comprehended from my first post, I am very tolerant of people with true disabilities and wish them as many advantages as they can obtain in their lives - as long as they don't EXPECT them.

Enderikari

I just want to point out one thing here. The whole point of the guest assistance card issue is to allow everyone EQUAL access to the rides, and to make the rides accessible for everyone. A guest who cannot walk normally can be accomodated by allowing their wheelchair to enter the standard queue, thus treating them EQUALLY. If a child with Autism cannot wait in the standard queue line, they can be given a pass so they are able to wait somewhere else, or even take advantage of fastpass to more quickly enter attractions, just like everybody else. Look on the Guest Assistance Card itself, it says that it is NOT supposed to provide immediate access...

Victoria

Not old, just vintage.
Oh how I love threads like this...lol.
When I go to Disney I use a GAC and an ECV. This is because I have rapidly progressing severe arthritis, moderate hearing loss and was recently diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis. I am still able to walk, stand, ride a bike, etc, pretty well....on most days. I even work in a job that requires me to do a great deal of standing. I am greatful that I am still in good enough shape to be able to be ambulatory most of the time. However, I definetly have days with very bad flare ups . Often the stress of traveling, the heat in Florida, long days, etc can bring on a severe attack and leave me quite debilitated for several days when I am at WDW. Using an ECv in my case is a preventitive action to keep me from having to cut my trip short or spend days in my resort because I am in too much pain to move.
I am fed up with other guests staring, commenting, and being all around rude about a young girl (22 year old me) using an ECV to "avoid lines." As Barnum's excellent post details, most attractions are now so that handicapped people and their parties can travel through the mainstream entrance. I have nothing to hide and am willing to educate rude fellow guests about my conditions...if for no other reason that it usually shuts them up pretty fast. :lookaroun The guests to also obtain ecv's, wheelchairs, etc "illegaly" also anger me. Dude, leave some for the rest of us who need that wheelchair.
I am greatful for the fellow guests I encounter who are tolerant and don't use the ADA accomodations in WDW uneccesarily. I am also very greatful for WDW even deciding to include so many things they aren't required to provide, as Wedoada kindly pointed out.
Alright, I am going to roll off my soapbox now I guess. :lookaroun :lol: :lookaroun
/rant.

Woody13

Enderikari said:
I just want to point out one thing here. The whole point of the guest assistance card issue is to allow everyone EQUAL access to the rides, and to make the rides accessible for everyone. A guest who cannot walk normally can be accomodated by allowing their wheelchair to enter the standard queue, thus treating them EQUALLY. If a child with Autism cannot wait in the standard queue line, they can be given a pass so they are able to wait somewhere else, or even take advantage of fastpass to more quickly enter attractions, just like everybody else. Look on the Guest Assistance Card itself, it says that it is NOT supposed to provide immediate access...
Yep, the key is reasonable accommodation.

DivaJ69 said:

I'm sorry, but if someone can't steer their ECV properly, parks in the middle of aisles, and is being extremely rude to a stockboy, I don't care whether they're utterly obese or if they're thin and disabled. Being a decent, polite human being really doesn't take that much of an effort...True, the obese woman in this situation may be in the catagory where she didn't 'choose to be obese', but still....being incredibly rude really isn't making anyone think the best of her...

And I don't mean to be offensive to anyone; I'm the first to admit that I have a weight problem myself, and I'm a strong advocate for ECVs for people who genuinly need them. I just also happen to be an advocate for being polite...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom