DINOSAUR - Strange Testing

Janir

Couldn't the same thing be accomplished with proximity sensors installed in front of each seat? Either that or fixed mount IR/Lidar throughout the ride so that all ride vehicles can always be seen by one of the cameras?
No, the seat sensor just says, someone left this seat. The LIDAR is scanning the immediate area and can map out everything around it and what's moving and where.

tissandtully

It is a lidar camera. It is part of a proof of concept to monitor riders in case of a ride stop. Today if the ride stops CMs have to go to each car to account for every rider. This can take over an hour. New system would allow restart in minutes. There are POCs running on other rides also (Splash, and Prirates). My company is participating in the POC.
Thank you! Also, why LIDAR? Is it using depth information and making 3d scans of the riders?

DisneyCane

No, the seat sensor just says, someone left this seat. The LIDAR is scanning the immediate area and can map out everything around it and what's moving and where.
Does this scenario happen that often that it is worth the investment in having a LIDAR system on every ride vehicle?

Hugh Jazz

Thank you! Also, why LIDAR? Is it using depth information and making 3d scans of the riders?

Making wireframes at this point of the POC. to see if arms, legs, etc are inside the vehicle.

Does this scenario happen that often that it is worth the investment in having a LIDAR system on every ride vehicle?

I have been told that any delay in restarting a ride is worth quite a bit to Disney. These cameras are a new generation and are less expensive. They are looking at a multi ride, worldwide solution.

GlacierGlacier

Original Poster
Making wireframes at this point of the POC. to see if arms, legs, etc are inside the vehicle.

I have been told that any delay in restarting a ride is worth quite a bit to Disney. These cameras are a new generation and are less expensive. They are looking at a multi ride, worldwide solution.
Would every attraction require a similar mount? Or is this simply for testing?

That high vantage point is great for sensing and all, but it would definitely not look good on other attractions. It kinda works with dinosaur, thanks to the Sci-Fi aesthetic of the time Rover, but I can't imagine something like that being strapped onto some other bus-bar attractions.

Not to mention the requirement of power & computation is probably a bit restricting. No boat rides, no coasters - unless some other style was planned for those.

peter11435

Would every attraction require a similar mount? Or is this simply for testing?

That high vantage point is great for sensing and all, but it would definitely not look good on other attractions. It kinda works with dinosaur, thanks to the Sci-Fi aesthetic of the time Rover, but I can't imagine something like that being strapped onto some other bus-bar attractions.

Not to mention the requirement of power & computation is probably a bit restricting. No boat rides, no coasters - unless some other style was planned for those.
This test is a proof of concept. Any permanent implementation would take on a very different and presumably far less intrusive form. Many attractions already feature various forms of technology to identify guests out of vehicle. In most cases these are integrated into the ride vehicles or facilities making them nearly invisible to the average guest.

AEfx

It is a lidar camera. It is part of a proof of concept to monitor riders in case of a ride stop. Today if the ride stops CMs have to go to each car to account for every rider. This can take over an hour. New system would allow restart in minutes. There are POCs running on other rides also (Splash, and Prirates). My company is participating in the POC.

I wish we had a feature to somehow vote posts like this to the top of the thread, right under the OP. Would have saved me ten minutes of reading through to find the answer. I knew someone would know...LOL.

Thelazer

I could think of a few ways of adding ultra sonic senses in each seat, along with a few other ones.. that would do the same job and not require a lidar mount.

peter11435

I could think of a few ways of adding ultra sonic senses in each seat, along with a few other ones.. that would do the same job and not require a lidar mount.
There are numerous methods of detection already used across the property. Many attractions already feature multiple technologies used for this purpose including seat sensors. All have their pros and cons.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom