DINOSAUR - Strange Testing

GlacierGlacier

Original Poster
When I last rode it in February they were not turned on. The picture above looks like they are black light LEDs perhaps to enhance what is otherwise a super dark ride.

Perhaps a couple of these in the last GOT episode would have helped.
They are turned on, but not visible to the human eye. They are Infrared LEDs, outside of the spectrum of visible light but can be detected by cameras and other sensors.

GlacierGlacier

Original Poster
Infared LEDS are quite visible to the human eye, they emit a subtle red glow in low light conditions.
Not all.

LED Emitters with a red glow/light are near-infrared, still on the visible light spectrum but quite close to the infrared wavelengths. True infrared can be seen by cameras (that are lacking an IR filter), but not by human eyes (in the vast majority of cases).

I'd love to post a picture showing that these LEDs are invisible to the human eye, but...

DisneyCane

Not all.

LED Emitters with a red glow/light are near-infrared, still on the visible light spectrum but quite close to the infrared wavelengths. True infrared can be seen by cameras (that are lacking an IR filter), but not by human eyes (in the vast majority of cases).

I'd love to post a picture showing that these LEDs are invisible to the human eye, but...
This can be easily demonstrated by pointing a remote control at your cell phone camera and pressing a button on the remote. You can't see it with your eyes but a pink/purple dot will appear on your screen.

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
Probably not it at all... but if they’re black lights.. are they doing some experimentation with lighting? Perhaps certain dinos “appearing” as you get closer to them? That’s be neat. Probably not it at all. But neat.

But also, I guess Pointless. As you could just do that with normal rigged lighting.

GlacierGlacier

Original Poster
Probably not it at all... but if they’re black lights.. are they doing some experimentation with lighting? Perhaps certain dinos “appearing” as you get closer to them? That’s be neat. Probably not it at all. But neat.

But also, I guess Pointless. As you could just do that with normal rigged lighting.
They're not black lights.

In terms of on-ride lighting, there is one coaster I know of in pre-production with front-facing flood lights on the head-rest...

GlacierGlacier

Original Poster
Maybe there are some IR-sensitive goggles in riders' near future...?
Pointed away from guests? No.

Not to mention any headware that isn't a cheap pair of 3D glasses increases the time between dispatch significantly.

Yeah let’s slap VR on it, like six flags!
See above.

Note that while some VR systems use IR base stations (the openVR / lighthouse system from HTC/Valve does) for the headset to calculate position, it's definitely not great in this setting.

Many VR implementations on coasters / attractions (implementations using Oculus go, Samsung Gear, and similar) can only track rotation. This leads to some nausea, as when your head translates around, the world moves with it.

A tracking system using base stations would alleviate this issue, and some attractions have attempted to implement this.

See Dave&Buster's VR attraction for the results. They're.... subpar.

Anyway - these are not VR base stations.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
Pointed away from guests? No.

Not to mention any headware that isn't a cheap pair of 3D glasses increases the time between dispatch significantly.
I'm not talking about tracking -- I'm talking about illumination. You don't want IR illuminators pointed at your goggles.

GlacierGlacier

Original Poster
You sounded just like Bob Iger then.
There is nothing you could do with IR goggles that show lighting couldn't accomplish. And with a dark ride like Dinosaur, where there are large sections of tight, undecorated hallway, you do not want guests seeing in the dark.

I'm sorry, I was far too brief with my dismissal of your idea.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom