DINOSAUR - Strange Testing

ThemedScream

Have you tried? Seatbelts, like restraints on most attractions, stay locked until triggered either by a CM or the ride system. For dinosaur, if someone needs to unbuckle at the belt check, the cm has to press a button on the vehicle itself to unlock them.

I was under the impression that on some rides, like Indy, the seatbelts will unlock on their own in the event of an emergency situation that requires the guests to exit without being led by a CM.

Movielover

That really does sound exactly like ole Bob "Never Give Guests IR Goggles" Iger. Exactly. I've personally never understood his unwillingness to simply give guests what they want, which is to say: more IR goggles. Hopefully whoever replaces him won't be so stingy with night vision headgear.

We even have a picture from that meeting...

GlacierGlacier

Original Poster
I was under the impression that on some rides, like Indy, the seatbelts will unlock on their own in the event of an emergency situation that requires the guests to exit without being led by a CM.
I have to assume yes in some cases, but in the case of a full ride-stop with mandatory evacuation in the case of a Non-Emergency, CMs will manually go and unlock each car one at a time. This way they can guide guests to the exit without them being totally unsupervised.

celluloid

I have to assume yes in some cases, but in the case of a full ride-stop with mandatory evacuation in the case of a Non-Emergency, CMs will manually go and unlock each car one at a time. This way they can guide guests to the exit without them being totally unsupervised.

Typically from my experience no. If all suppression systems fail to extinguish the fire and it is still in the path of vehicles then the employees will rush to the vehicles that need assistance individually as there is likely less.

If you think.of it this way, the average ride is two to four minutes long from start to finish, once an emergency isolated, no further boarding and they are only unloading all of the ride vehicles.
In 2 to three minutes everyone is out of that danger. Cycling the natural operation of of a ride is typically the safest way to exit.

Last edited:

ThemedScream

Typically from my experience no. If all suppression systems fail to extinguish the fire and it is still in the path of vehicles then the employees will rush to the vehicles that need assistance individually as there is likely less.

If you think.of it this way, the average ride is two to four minutes long from start to finish, once an emergency isolated, no further boarding and they are only unloading all of the ride vehicles.
In 2 to three minutes everyone is out of that danger. Cycling the natural operation of of a ride is typically the safest way to exit.

I was wondering because my partner took part in safety drill where they had random CMs go through Indy on foot, and either stay put somewhere or try to find an exit. They said this was to see how long it took emergency crews to locate guests. My partner decided to go all the way to the end, because why not, and I was super jealous... But that's what made me think they might unlock on their own in some situations.

Janir

Disney wants to know which parts of the ride crack your ribs and which parts pop your spine. They've got experiments to run, there is research to be done on the people who are still alive.
For all the tossing and turnign that ride does, I have worse problems with Space Mountain than Dinosaur for back and neck issues. I guess I can see in Dinosaur, where in Space Mtn, I can't get my body to flow as I can't see where we're going as easily and the little jarring corner brakes can't be anticipated at all.

brertigger

I was wondering because my partner took part in safety drill where they had random CMs go through Indy on foot, and either stay put somewhere or try to find an exit. They said this was to see how long it took emergency crews to locate guests. My partner decided to go all the way to the end, because why not, and I was super jealous... But that's what made me think they might unlock on their own in some situations.

Dinosaur also has some large signs before the load station about following lights on the floor in the event of an emergency, which seems like there might be certain cases where the seatbelts would unlock and guests would be on their own to start an evacuation.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Dinosaur also has some large signs before the load station about following lights on the floor in the event of an emergency, which seems like there might be certain cases where the seatbelts would unlock and guests would be on their own to start an evacuation.

E.g., in case of the Rapture.

J/K, the CMs wouldn't be raptured.

Hugh Jazz

It is a lidar camera. It is part of a proof of concept to monitor riders in case of a ride stop. Today if the ride stops CMs have to go to each car to account for every rider. This can take over an hour. New system would allow restart in minutes. There are POCs running on other rides also (Splash, and Prirates). My company is participating in the POC.

DisneyCane

It is a lidar camera. It is part of a proof of concept to monitor riders in case of a ride stop. Today if the ride stops CMs have to go to each car to account for every rider. This can take over an hour. New system would allow restart in minutes. There are POCs running on other rides also (Splash, and Prirates). My company is participating in the POC.
Couldn't the same thing be accomplished with proximity sensors installed in front of each seat? Either that or fixed mount IR/Lidar throughout the ride so that all ride vehicles can always be seen by one of the cameras?

DisneyCane

A couple of years ago I was on splash mountain and there was a non-emergency evac. I was shocked at how long it took the CMs to get to the logs and find a maintenance guy that they needed to get the unnecessary lap bars unlocked.

I would think it is far worse to prevent quick evacuation of hundreds of people in the event of a fire than to not have the lap bars so some idiot can get out and be killed by not following simple rules.

Movielover

A couple of years ago I was on splash mountain and there was a non-emergency evac. I was shocked at how long it took the CMs to get to the logs and find a maintenance guy that they needed to get the unnecessary lap bars unlocked.

I would think it is far worse to prevent quick evacuation of hundreds of people in the event of a fire than to not have the lap bars so some idiot can get out and be killed by not following simple rules.

These show buildings can sometimes be a large series of dead ends and mazes. Sure there are dedicated evac routes but if you have never seen or been back there you would never know which way is the quickest or safest. The probable reason that it took so long on Splash was because it happened to be a non emergency. A series of list and checks must be done before passengers can be released. Usually higher up supervisors must be on hand before release. Also the location of your vehicle may have been a factor as well, with most of the rest of the ride being cleared first. Finally it may have not been needed to evac at first, with maintenance only deeming it necessary to evac after a period of inspecting the problem.

If it had been an emergency, such as a fire all of these elements would have been moving much faster, and the area nearest the emergency would have been handled first.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom