DINOSAUR - Strange Testing

GlacierGlacier

Original Poster
I haven't seen anyone say anything about this before, but today there was a single Time Rover which had mounted on it a black tube steel rig, upon which sat some IR LED lights. It was being used as a standard ride vehicle, in rotation with everything else.

20190503_120620.jpg
20190503_162901.jpg
20190503_162823.jpg

Does anyone know more about this? Could they be doing testing for future changes to the attraction?

EDIT:

User @Hugh Jazz has some more information
It is a lidar camera. It is part of a proof of concept to monitor riders in case of a ride stop. Today if the ride stops CMs have to go to each car to account for every rider. This can take over an hour. New system would allow restart in minutes. There are POCs running on other rides also (Splash, and Prirates). My company is participating in the POC.

Last edited:

Kman101

I haven't seen anyone say anything about this before, but today there was a single Time Rover which had mounted on it a black tube steel rig, upon which sat some IR LED lights. It was being used as a standard ride vehicle, in rotation with everything else.

View attachment 369164View attachment 369165View attachment 369166

Does anyone know more about this? Could they be doing testing for future changes to the attraction?

News to me. But I guess it was reported elsewhere?? I guess I missed it.

Thelazer

most likely a test of real time motoring of passengers thru video.
Ie, if you stand up, stick your arm out to far, it can be detected in real time and ride e-stopped without having a human do it.

GlacierGlacier

Original Poster
Thoughts:
most likely a test of real time motoring of passengers thru video.
Ie, if you stand up, stick your arm out to far, it can be detected in real time and ride e-stopped without having a human do it.
There are more ways to detect guests than sticking a big ol' IR rig on the back of an RV. Not to mention, it was only lights, not sensors. And they weren't pointed particularly at guests either.

Maybe some more photopass stuff?
Totally a guess, but as aforementioned, probably video coming to a commercial near you shortly.
The issue with video/photo pass thing is the lights are pointed away from the guests, so even if they wanted to see things in grayscale (which is what you'd get from IR) you'd still just have silhouettes of the guests.

By comparison, the "it can get kinda bumpy out there" line that plays in the pre-show has IR video that goes alongside it - that footage is lit from the front.

Personal ideas:
- Tracking accuracy of ride programming. Having fixed IR beacons would allow them to determine how far off the programmed motion path the base is, allowing for diagnosis of any issues relating to that.
- Testing for interference on ride systems. Some attractions use IR beams for detection of RV position (jungle cruise does this to trigger effects. Dinosaur is a bus-bar attraction, so the ride always knows where each vehicle is without IR beams), but most use them for safety - the wandering guest idea. Someone gets out - poof. Ride goes down.
- Someone put it on there at one point for calibration or something and forgot it.

Whatever way, I doubt we'll get a definitive answer. It's likely just going to dissapear in a few months and nothing will come of it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom