DINOSAUR closed for refurbishment July 25 - November 20 2016

JustInTime

Everything is closing during my time in September, this is getting really bothersome, i wish they'd plan it so rides like Dinosaur and BTM arent closed together.

If only RoL actually came out to compensate for it...
I'm kinda hoping ROL will be open then. My fingers are crossed

Last edited:

zakattack99

In the Parks
No
Did the ride get darker as it aged? Or am I just not remembering correctly. I went in 2010 and the ride scared the poo out of me. I remember it being dark but still seeing the different dinos and foliage and only being pitch black at parts. Then I went again in November 2015 and it seemed like it was pitch black the whole time except one or two show scenes.

Bairstow

I'm... amazed. I would have been willing to bet that Disney wouldn't take Dinosaur offline until the new Avatar stuff had very been operating for at least a year.

Atomicmickey

I, for one, hope they change the lighting. I can't see a dino-gone thing
in that ride. So dark. Compared to Indiana Jones, ugh. Please, please
just a little. I know it won't happen, but I would wish for a little foliage to cover
up the blank dark walls as well.

I am a huge dino-nerd, and this ride has always been a missed opportunity IMO.
Agreed, I recently rode JP in UORL and it was very, very creaky and disappointing
for the most part as well.

But, of course, Disney can and should do better.

At the very least it would be nice to see some of the effects that people have been
talking about from when the ride first opened, working.

AndyMagic

Despite the problems this attraction has had over the years, it has remained one of my all time favorite rides in Orlando. I know a lot of the talk regarding the quality of the ride has been about the effects being turned off or the dinosaurs malfunctioning but my biggest gripe remains the CTX to DINOSAUR re-branding back in early 2000 and the drastic ride profile changes that accompanied it. Let's not forget that the EMVs were toned down to bring the height restriction from 48' to 40' in an attempt to make it more accessible and bring it in-line with the demographics of the film. Most of the "it's too dark and nothing happens" complaints stem from the lack of thrill that accompanies the darkest portions of the ride. The old ride profile had very intense side-to-side movements during the pitch black show scenes. The, "LEFT, RIGHT, LEFT!" sequence where the ride vehicle is supposed to be dodging incoming meteors was truly exhilarating and distracted from the fact that there wasn't much to look at.

Long story short, all the ill-advised changes they made to the ride profile and the audio cues to help bring in more kids didn't do much to actually prevent kids from finding the attraction absolutely terrifying anyway. It also didn't increase the popularity of the ride like they had hoped and for the last 15 years we've been saddled with a gimped attraction with a ridiculously unnecessary tie-in to a film IP that no one even remembers or cares about.

I know it will never happen but I say, make those EMVs do what they were intended to do and BRING BACK COUNTDOWN TO EXTINCTION!

Mike S

Just rode Jurassic Park at Uni for the first time, followed by Dinosaur a couple of days later.
I was under the impression that JP was the superior ride.
Not even close.
Save for the T-rex at the end of JP, the ride was barren looking and the animatronics were pretty bad.
My whole family actually wound up thinking Dinosaur was better than how we remembered it after riding JP.
Both rides animatronics stink when compared to the Dinosaurs made by Creature Technology for their Walking with Dinosaurs show, and they just made a certain big ape as well ;)
I'm happy that Dinosaur is finally getting the attention it needs. Dinosaur has always been one of my favorite rides, but on my most recent trip to WDW I was extremely disappointed to see how inconsistency it was running! I rode Dinosaur at least 12+ times over the duration of my trip, and maybe twice was it running without any noticeable malfunctions.

A list of malfunctions that occurred over the duration of my trip include:

• Sauropod was covered with a black tarp on/off the entire duration of the trip.
• Evacuated twice on the same day. :cry:
• Alioramus was stationary.
• Lights during the first time traveling sequence weren't working.
• My sister told me after riding there was a Dinosaur with just a head. Apparently it's whole body was missing(?) :confused:
My personal fav -
On one my AK days, The Carnosaurus that chases towards the time rover was not only bent over, but it looked like it had face planted on the floor completely. Keep in mind it's still moving forward on the track.. Lol.
Man I need video of that :hilarious:

Multiple trips over the past year I've seen the Carnotaurus head on a stick. It's a backup for when the first one isn't working.
I think that's my problem with Dinosaur... I rode Indy first... had I never ridden Indy, I think I would like Dinosaur so much better... and now, when I ride Dinosaur, all I can think is WDW will never have an Indy clone (which I'd be fine with) because they have Dinosaur... possibly a nice investment that to plus the ride would help, but I doubt that will happen in just two months...
I rode Dinosaur first but ever since riding Indy last year I've been spoiled. If only more of it looked like this.
f42aa2869339f08c7692a85d9d557bc7.jpg

Countdown%2Bto%2BExtinction2.jpg

countdown+3.jpg

ChrisFL

Premium Member
Both rides animatronics stink when compared to the Dinosaurs made by Creature Technology for their Walking with Dinosaurs show, and they just made a certain big ape as well ;)

There's a lot of companies who can make better animatronics than what we see on rides...but they're usually not designed to work flawlessly every 30 seconds for 12-16 hours a day either. We'll see how the new big ape works, hopefully we get the best of both quality and reliability.

Mike S

There's a lot of companies who can make better animatronics than what we see on rides...but they're usually not designed to work flawlessly every 30 seconds for 12-16 hours a day either. We'll see how the new big ape works, hopefully we get the best of both quality and reliability.
Some of those same Dinosaurs are now on display at the Melbourne Museum for an exhibition and run daily but let's get back to Dinosaur. I hope it gets everything it needs.

AndyMagic

What if it's all a ploy to re-brand it again?!?!?

View attachment 142598

That's too thematically appropriate for a re-brand in the current Disney era of attraction rehab atrocities. Frozen in Epcot, Guardians of the Galaxy in Tower of Terror, ANT-MAN in Dinosaur! But don't worry! Since an ant is an animal it's FINE! All that matters is shoehorning IPs into anything and everything. Next up, Jungle Book's Kali River Rapids. Actually, once again, that makes a bit too much sense.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom