Dinosaur AA Not There

Demarke

Have I told you lately that I 👍 you?
Premium Member
Been gone for many years I believe. If I remember correctly there was a refurbishment and it just never returned for some reason. Same thing happened with some of the sound during the initial time travel sequence. Probably more examples I can’t remember.
Do you recall about when by chance? I first went to AK in 2016 but have been about 3-4 times a year since 2018 and don’t remember that line at all!

CoasterSnoop

Has Dinosaur ever closed for refurbishment and come back with something ADDED instead of removed? Or at least something noticeable being fixed?
A lengthy 2016 refurb saw added screens to replace the Compsognathus jumping across the vehicle effect that was turned off early in the ride's life. The lighting was also tweaked in ways that enhance or detract from the experience depending on who you ask. And it restored the Iguanadon's net projection effect and chase sequence audio that was also turned off awhile before, but that could be stretching "addition."

Disney did give this ride some love post-Eisner, but it's true that Dinosaur is in this sort of late-90s Epcot dark ride situation where nobody wants to flip the bill for maintenance so the ride becomes steadily more run-down. It's a downward trend but it hasn't impacted my personal enjoyment of the ride yet. As long as they keep Charging Carno from becoming Yeti Pt. 2, I'm relatively happy.

Last edited:

Cmdr_Crimson

Been gone for many years I believe. If I remember correctly there was a refurbishment and it just never returned for some reason. Same thing happened with some of the sound during the initial time travel sequence. Probably more examples I can’t remember.
I can't count the number of times I've ridden this and never understood the Whoops line. I thought it was him losing control of the vehicle. (And I'm usually pretty good at picking up those story details.) 😄
Do you recall about when by chance? I first went to AK in 2016 but have been about 3-4 times a year since 2018 and don’t remember that line at all!
I found a 2017 video and timestamped it. You can hear him say "Whoops" in this one...

Virtual Toad

I always assumed the "whoops" line was in response to the Sauropod burping. In terms of refurbs, if they want to be a true world-class resort, they should have a fully functioning duplicate backup available for all major animatronics such as the photo-op Carnotaurus. The Shaman in Navi River Journey is another good example. Keep one onstage while the other is being maintained/refurbed. This really should be best practice and SOP for world-class theme park design.

One other thing they could do to dramatically improve Dinosaur/CTX is to replace and upgrade the projectors/monitors in the preshow. It's a perfect stage-setter for the ride but the video quality as presented is not anywhere near what you'd expect at your local Best Buy, let alone the world's top tourist destination.

999th Happy Haunt

I found a 2017 video and timestamped it. You can hear him say "Whoops" in this one...

I was curious, so I narrowed it further. The last video uploaded on youtube with the whoops is this one from March 17, 2018.

Even stranger, check out this POV from 2016, and compare the time travel noises at around 1:10 to the same scene in the newer videos. Too much dead silence now that some of those sound effects are gone. This is also pre screens added for the Compsognathus, so maybe this is the sound I remember disappearing after a refurbishment and not the “Whoops” line. I can’t image a simple sound effect “breaking,” have they just forgotten to turn it back on all this time?

VicariousCorpse

Even stranger, check out this POV from 2016, and compare the time travel noises at around 1:10 to the same scene in the newer videos. Too much dead silence now that some of those sound effects are gone. This is also pre screens added for the Compsognathus, so maybe this is the sound I remember disappearing after a refurbishment and not the “Whoops” line. I can’t image a simple sound effect “breaking,” have they just forgotten to turn it back on all this time?

Yes. Very weird. I just want to know if all these audio changes were intentional or got messed up during refurbs. Because while the whoops line could be seen as removed for causing confusion or whatever; removing ambient noises in the tunnel doesn't make any sense. It also makes the effects like the pathetic level of fog stand out even further.

Cmdr_Crimson

Yes. Very weird. I just want to know if all these audio changes were intentional or got messed up during refurbs. Because while the whoops line could be seen as removed for causing confusion or whatever; removing ambient noises in the tunnel doesn't make any sense. It also makes the effects like the pathetic level of fog stand out even further.
This one from Parkeology has probably the best audio of the ride so the glass shatter and the "Whoops" is clear as day as it sounds..Not sure what year this was done..

I mean what is their deal with Disney they warn that Dino's are in scary dark places on this ride...Jurassic Park at IOA is going all out with jump scares and louder audio and better ways go make the Dinos look great...If they can up the scare factor and boost the audio this ride would be great..But, then the little kids will be upset making the parents complain blah blah blah....They should really put a big sign in front of the attraction as a warning..

VicariousCorpse

This one from Parkeology has probably the best audio of the ride so the glass shatter and the "Whoops" is clear as day as it sounds..Not sure what year this was done..

I can find the actual source audio that is even clearer. If I'm remembering correctly there is also unused seeker audio that confirms it was supposed to be the rover running over the tail! I will report back with findings.

999th Happy Haunt

I mean what is their deal with Disney they warn that Dino's are in scary dark places on this ride...Jurassic Park at IOA is going all out with jump scares and louder audio and better ways go make the Dinos look great...If they can up the scare factor and boost the audio this ride would be great..But, then the little kids will be upset making the parents complain blah blah blah....They should really put a big sign in front of the attraction as a warning..

Always loved that video, maybe my favorite attraction POV ever.

In Disney’s defense though, many of the dinos on River Adventure at IoA look far worse than the animatronics on Dinosaur, as of right now I’d still say Dinosaur is the more frightening attraction.

VicariousCorpse

Here is the video I found with the source audio files. It has quite a bit unused audio.

In the 2016, the rover revs multiple times as you proceed down the hallway, sparking sounds building, alarms going, and it crescendos with a loud crack as you go into the forest. It the newer videos, the revving cuts off after the first one builds going into the next gear, and many of the ambient sounds are gone as you meander and wobble down the hallway. My ears are bad, but this is what it sounds like to me at least.

Points of interest in video
00:40 Some of the revving sounds that are missing.
22:30 First tunnel electric sounds are played.

I don't think that's a glass shatter and saying whoops. We run over the tail. The loud shhh sound you are thinking is glass, I believe is just the air release on the sauropods machinery, she has always been quite loud with her hydraulics.

Points of interest in video
06:41- Sauropod ahead. Ooh, and that would be it's tail. Ouch, that's gotta hurt. You'll be glad to know, she's a vegetarian.
11:10 TAILBUMP.AIF audio file plays.
19:21 First Instance of the whoops line, previous unused iterations did not include this line, but did include the "be glad she's a vegetarian" part.

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
Original Poster
I believe the audio adjustments were intentional. The main reason I believe this was mostly because I always thought the “right left right” yelling was always wrong when I was a kid.

When he said “right” we would go left. And vise versa. Now it’s accurate with the ride vehicle.

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
Original Poster

Jurassic Park, with the exception of the final drop, had actually looked extremely rough for a while now. I’d argue that the AAs on that ride are awful compared to DINOSAUR, only because Dinosaur hides the limited motions with a dark atmosphere.

In Jurassic Park, you can see the AAs barely moving in broad daylight.

Virtual Toad

Dinosaur/CTX to me was always the ride at WDW which was great but had so much potential to be downright extraordinary. I remember riding it during soft open/AP previews right before AK opened to the public. Spoke with a cast member who was super psyched about Joe Rhode being on property overseeing last-minute adjustments.

The ride itself has always been 90% "there" to me. Pushing past what I call the "90% barrier" to get to true greatness is the challenge with most creative endeavors. Shame this ride could never quite get there because the set-up, script and storyline are exceptional.

And while we're talking effects, anyone else remember the actual sparks coming off/down the walls during entry to the time tunnel? I always thought that was particularly cool.

Model3 McQueen

In the Parks
No
Ride needs a big refurbishment to Carno and some of the other sceneries. Story should stay the same but the effects need some modernization. Bring it back to glory.

VelocityRaptor

I believe the audio adjustments were intentional. The main reason I believe this was mostly because I always thought the “right left right” yelling was always wrong when I was a kid.

When he said “right” we would go left. And vise versa. Now it’s accurate with the ride vehicle.
Omg yes!! I always remember it being opposites but the last time I rode I noticed it audio matched the direction. I prefer the original

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom