Dining with characters is done

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Why are we arguing about the worth of Character Dining when we've been told it's done for good? ;)

Anyhoo, I don't see any value in a "distanced" character meal. Part of the value of the character meal is personal time with a handful of M&G characters.

And that goes into my calculation of the worth of a character meal. For me...
  1. I would have already paid the extra cost for a nice sit-down meal (served or buffet). It gives one a break from 10 hours of walking or standing, and respite from the heat.
  2. Some venues have excellent food. I would have eaten at Tusker House or Trattoria al Forno without character dining anyway.
  3. I wanted character interaction. Whether bringing a child for that experience or for me, the fun of role-playing and collecting a picture. (For my friend, the pleasure of chatting up a very pretty college girl.) However, outside of Character Dining, meeting characters means standing in lines, often in the heat. That's time that could have been spent on rides. So... time is money. If you figure out how much you're spending at a Disney vacation in dollars per hour, then skipping four or five character lines have a significant cost savings.
For other people, they would have different calculations based on what they value.

Touchdown

Why are we arguing about the worth of Character Dining when we've been told it's done for good? ;)

Anyhoo, I don't see any value in a "distanced" character meal. Part of the value of the character meal is personal time with a handful of M&G characters.

1. I would have already paid the extra cost for a nice sit-down meal (served or buffet). It gives one a break from 10 hours of walking or standing, and respite from the heat.
  2. Some venues have excellent food. I would have eaten at Tusker House or Trattoria al Forno without character dining anyway.
  3. I wanted character interaction. Whether bringing a child for that experience or for me, the fun of role-playing and collecting a picture. (For my friend, the pleasure of chatting up a very pretty college girl.) However, outside of Character Dining, meeting characters means standing in lines, often in the heat. That's time that could have been spent on rides. So... time is money. If you figure out how much you're spending at a Disney vacation in dollars per hour, then skipping four or five character lines have a significant cost savings.
For other people, they would have different calculations based on what they value.
Ditto. I try to always have a sit down meal a day. CP breakfast and Tusker House dinner is good I enjoy even without characters. I don’t like Indian food, or anything spicy for that matter so my pickings in AK are slim, Tusker House hits that sweet spot of being adventurous without being too adventurous.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
The characters are now a lower priority item for us, it’s the food we go back for. And if the food and food quality has changed for the worse, then there’s no reason for us to return, especially at the extortionate prices Disney is want to charge these days. As has been mentioned - Charge me Olive Garden prices for Applebee’s-quality food. I’m ok with that because of where we are. Charging me top steakhouse prices for a piece of overcooked flank steak? Hard pass.

aliceismad

I'll admit that I'm one of those people who is willing to pay extra for a some things at Disney that make my life more convenient, and character dining was one because it saved the time tracking down and waiting in line for characters. But I have to agree that the quality of food at the last few I've been to were pretty poor, especially for the price and especially now with the lack of interaction. Chef Mickey's was not very good in 2019, and I don't think we'll return anytime soon, despite the chance to see the Fab 5. My husband really enjoyed the 1900 Park Fare brunch (and the less common characters), and we like Tusker House.

I'll be interested in how the character meals evolve as the covid situation changes. I've been reading the trip reports hoping to see how things are going at Crystal Palace.

asianway

There was about a 5 year gap in between my Chef Mickey's visits. When I came back it wasn't the same restaurant. Gone were the "home made" dishes and replaced with defrosted mass-produced Sysco stuff. Just an absolute drop in quality unlike that I've experienced at any other restaurant. However, par is the course for what the DDP did to WDW.
I remember when they first opened they had the Top of the World dressing on the salad bar

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member

I'll admit that I'm one of those people who is willing to pay extra for a some things at Disney that make my life more convenient, and character dining was one because it saved the time tracking down and waiting in line for characters. But I have to agree that the quality of food at the last few I've been to were pretty poor, especially for the price and especially now with the lack of interaction. Chef Mickey's was not very good in 2019, and I don't think we'll return anytime soon, despite the chance to see the Fab 5. My husband really enjoyed the 1900 Park Fare brunch (and the less common characters), and we like Tusker House.

I'll be interested in how the character meals evolve as the covid situation changes. I've been reading the trip reports hoping to see how things are going at Crystal Palace.

I’ll still go to a character...but it’s limited to a breakfast or the few spots with edible afternoon food. It’s not the outpaced pricing...it’s coupling that with old country buffet food that is the line in the sand with me. I know how to find Sysco/Aramark if I want it

I remember when they first opened they had the Top of the World dressing on the salad bar

I remember when the concourse steakhouse next door had 3x the quality of steak as le cellier at 1/4 the current prices...

Those were the days, Edith

brb1006

That video seriously made me tear up. 😢

Reminded me of a similar video from 2015 which showed Marie from The Aristocats and Pluto interacting and showing love to a female guest with cerebral palsy. At the time, Marie alongside Pluto were meetable around the Flag Pole area in Main Street USA. However, Marie and Pluto quickly noticed the girl and decided to get up close to her.

Alongside the story about Snow White comforting a young boy with Autism which made national news.

Say what you will about meet and greets or not being a "character person". But stuff like this seriously makes you appreciate the Cast Members and Characters going the extra mile with guests. This is the type of stuff that makes guests want to return to the Disney Parks.

Matter of fact, I'm having a feeling future commercials and ad campaigns promoting Walt Disney World's 50th Anniversary might capture some very touching and heartfelt moments with guests similar to the ads for Walt Disney World's 25th Anniversary between 1996 and 1997 and the 100 Years Of Magic Celebration from 2001 till 2003. Especially for the post-COVID world if we're lucky.

Last edited:

JoeCamel

Reminded me of a similar video from 2015 which showed Marie from The Aristocats and Pluto interacting and showing love to a female guest with cerebral palsy.

Alongside the story about Snow White comforting a young boy with Autism which made national news.

Say what you will about meet and greets or not being a "character person". But stuff like this seriously makes you appreciate the Cast Members and Characters going the extra mile with guests. This is the type of stuff that makes guests want to return to the Disney Parks.

I have warm memories of using the castle walk from Liberty Square in the mornings to find Fairy Godmother or the Tremane sisters making magic in that corner of the castle. Day after day it was special to see them interact with the kids.

asianway

I’ll still go to a character...but it’s limited to a breakfast or the few spots with edible afternoon food. It’s not the outpaced pricing...it’s coupling that with old country buffet food that is the line in the sand with me. I know how to find Sysco/Aramark if I want it

I remember when the concourse steakhouse next door had 3x the quality of steak as le cellier at 1/4 the current prices...

Those were the days, Edith
Bison steaks there were awesome

GimpYancIent

Reminded me of a similar video from 2015 which showed Marie from The Aristocats and Pluto interacting and showing love to a female guest with cerebral palsy.

Matter of fact, I'm having a feeling future commercials and ad campaigns promoting Walt Disney World's 50th Anniversary might capture some very touching and heartfelt moments with guests similar to the ads for Walt Disney World's 25th Anniversary between 1996 and 1997 and the 100 Years Of Magic Celebration from 2001 till 2003. Especially for the post-COVID world if we're lucky.

The special character / child interactions over the years are sooo many there is no way they can all be documented. The looks on the faces of the children during character interactions are truly priceless. Even hugging droids can produce special moments. That is a large portion (critical portion) of the magic that needs to be brought back!

ppete1975

1614306245916.png

ppete1975

honestly Ive always thought that would be a cool job to have... just to bring smiles to faces.. heck if i could afford it id do it for free

phillip9698

They just crossed the rubicon on it...I hate to look (it’s cringeworthy)...so I usually don’t. But here goes:

Character breakfast prices in 2002:
Adult $16.99
Child $9.99

Total for four with tax and tip: $66.09

Current price for Hollywood and Vine (yesterday):
Adult: $42.00
Child: $27.00

Tots for 4: $174.24

Praetorians will Claim “inflation”...yet we’d all be homeless and starve if 264% was standard inflation...it doesn’t even fit into a “supply and demand” or “crowd” argument.

It’s the standard fight that we all get drug into in wdw: there are Just some that wear it like a badge of honor to blow cash their (new money...long ago internally targeted/keyed on)....
It’s insane...it’s immature. But it affects everyone.

Ok...time for some tai chi and birkam to calm myself down...

Namaste

What was the 2019 price? Disney knows they have people who want to see characters by the balls now that meet and greets are gone. You want to guarantee seeing a character you gotta pony up now.

drew81

Has anyone heard anything on character dining staying as is even when full restrictions are all lifted? The days of visiting guests at tables may have come to an end?

GimpYancIent

Has anyone heard anything on character dining staying as is even when full restrictions are all lifted? The days of visiting guests at tables may have come to an end?
Don't believe that is the direction things are going. Character appearances at various dining locations are occurring now the interacting W guests at tables is not far off.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom