dining question

mikewdw

Original Poster
planning first cruise in june, (7 night) how does the formal/semi formal dining night work? what to wear? what is appropriate on non formal nights? never cruised before so lots of questions.
any info appreciated
mikewdw

EOD K9

@Disneyfalcon or @sweetpee_1993 are our resident experts who can answer that. However, formal night I believe is during one of your at sea days. A suit or tux is what is acceptable for that night. On normal nights, dress pants/khakis and a polo/dress shirt are perfectly fine. I know they have been relaxing the rules for the main dining rooms, but you cant go wrong with the attire I just told you about. Have fun and enjoy your cruise.

sweetpee_1993

Formal night typically falls the night of the first at-sea day. Not embarkation night. It's usually the next night. The suggested dress of formal attire isn't mandatory but its nice. You can go with tuxes or nice suits. A sports coat with khakis, shirt, & tie are nice, too. We've done full tuxes and a gown for me before but it was extremely unpleasant and uncomfortable. On our most recent cruise we went with nice suits for the guys and I wore a cocktail dress. That felt like a nice balance for us in a formal-for-us way. Semi-formal is a step down from what you do for formal night. In my case I had a simple little black dress to wear for semi night as a step down from my cocktail dress. The guys I guess would've done their suit pants & dress shirts minus the tie or maybe with different shirts & ties. We skipped our semi night, tho. LOL! Typical cruise casual for us is khaki pants w/a polo or a button-up. My hubby has worn his Flying Tigers warbird Hawaiian type shirt with khakis and it looks nice. Technically Disney has said khaki shorts or dressier shorts are okay for cruise casual but my DH is a bit more on the traditional side. I think he's insane but I'm not a fan if dressing up, either. It's truly up to you. As long as you don't show up for dinner in swimwear you should be fine. There's always a broad range of dress for the various nights.

Don't forget pirate night! That's your chance to get all festive pirate-y! Its a pretty casual night. We prefer shorts, pirate tshirts, and some pirate accessories. Some people go all out in full costumes. It's really fun!

Tom

Beta Return
Question....so what do you do if you choose not to participate in formal or semi-formal night? Where do you eat instead?

The thought of dressing up is nauseating for me, lol. I wear jeans and a button-up tee to work, and dressing up for a meeting means khakis. Definitely don't want to pack that fancy stuff, or wear it, on vacation. But I've never understood what the alternatives are on those nights.

Kevin P

Wife had a nice Dress and I wore nice shirt with khakis and sports coat, for our first dinner at sea and our date night at Palo... If you do Palo, please - Please get the Chocolate Sufle' (How ever you spell it) desert.... Holy Cow it was awesome!!!

bow0303

Question....so what do you do if you choose not to participate in formal or semi-formal night? Where do you eat instead?

The thought of dressing up is nauseating for me, lol. I wear jeans and a button-up tee to work, and dressing up for a meeting means khakis. Definitely don't want to pack that fancy stuff, or wear it, on vacation. But I've never understood what the alternatives are on those nights.

I would say that you could do one of the quick dining options (on the upper decks) or room service.

sweetpee_1993

Khakis with a button up would be fine. Not everyone dresses to the 9s even on formal night. You could also go try Cabanas for dinner. Cabanas becomes a relaxed table-service restaurant at dinner with a menu that takes a sampling of dishes from the main dining rooms. On our teen-free anniversary voyage last Sept we ate on the MDR on the first night. Every other night of the trip we ate from the walk-ups, Cabanas, or room service. We didn't feel like dressing for dinner. Formal night in the adult pool was awesome. Had the whole area to ourselves!

Tiggerish

Resident Redhead
Premium Member

IIRC, you're on a 3-night cruise, Tom, and there is no formal night on the short cruises, so it won't be an issue at all!

Tom

Beta Return
IIRC, you're on a 3-night cruise, Tom, and there is no formal night on the short cruises, so it won't be an issue at all!

You're right, and I knew that :p I was asking for future reference, since DCL is addictive and I'm sure a longer cruise will be in our future. Just thought I'd ask now since the discussion was happening.

And thank you to everyone who replied :)

sweetpee_1993

Does the cruise casual dress apply to breakfast, lunch and dinner or just dinner?
The recommended dress (cruise casual, formal, dress up, etc) applies to the dining rooms at dinner. Breakfast and lunch in the dining rooms casual is okay such as shorts, tshirts, etc. Don't show up shirtless, barefoot, or (for ladies) in your swimsuit. That sort of thing. Make sense?

bow0303

The recommended dress (cruise casual, formal, dress up, etc) applies to the dining rooms at dinner. Breakfast and lunch in the dining rooms casual is okay such as shorts, tshirts, etc. Don't show up shirtless, barefoot, or (for ladies) in your swimsuit. That sort of thing. Make sense?

Got it. You have all the answers. :) Thanks Sweetpee.

sweetpee_1993

Got it. You have all the answers. :) Thanks Sweetpee.
I wouldn't say I have all the answers. I've just enjoyed my share of eggs Benedict and panini's & fries. Well, prob'ly my share and half a dozen other people's shares. LOL!

She really does!
**blush**
Well thank you. That's like the super nicest thing for a Disney nerd! LOL!

bow0303

I wouldn't say I have all the answers. I've just enjoyed my share of eggs Benedict and panini's & fries. Well, prob'ly my share and half a dozen other people's shares. LOL!

**blush**
Well thank you. That's like the super nicest thing for a Disney nerd! LOL!

LOL. But seriously, between you and Disneyfalcon answering my questions and others I feel like we are ready for our Cruise and wont have any surprises.

sweetpee_1993

LOL. But seriously, between you and Disneyfalcon answering my questions and others I feel like we are ready for our Cruise and wont have any surprises.
Trust me, before my first cruise I was totally freaked, too. I was so used to having all the knowledge of how things worked, the ins & outs of a WDW vacation. It was so unnerving to go on a cruise & feel like I knew nothing. Very uncomfortable. @Disneyfalcon & @HollyBelle were my lifesavers! I prob'ly made them insane with all my questioning. Holly was such a doll making extra effort to document & photograph every moment in the check-in & boarding process. That was huuuuge for me. Point is, I was new once. Someone helped me. It's only right for me to help others. :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom