Dining Plans

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
After having gotten the plan years ago at a huge discount we would never pay for it. I've never (and still don't) understand the "convenience" aspect some people like. I don't want to have to think about if I'm getting my money's worth. One podcast some time ago did an analysis and you have to be vigilant to come out ahead. They also said that the quick service plan was almost impossible to come out ahead unless you always ordered the most expensive items.
What really gets me is that a lot of people, even after being told they will probably spend more on a dining plan than just paying for the food, just don't care and buy it anyway for the "convenience". I'm sorry, but my money is a lot more important to me than convenience.

King Racoon 77

Thank you sir. You were an inspiration.
Premium Member
What really gets me is that a lot of people, even after being told they will probably spend more on a dining plan than just paying for the food, just don't care and buy it anyway for the "convenience". I'm sorry, but my money is a lot more important to me than convenience.
For those of us from across the pond it used to be a "free" attachment to the booking. I know it technically isn't free but the booking was the same cost with or without it.

King Racoon 77

Premium Member
Yep, in 2018 we had the 'free' quick-service Dining Plan included for our 10 night stay at POR. We then upgraded that to the standard Dining Pan for ÂŁ140/$180 each for the entire trip, which was a no brainer for us.
Sounds similar to our last trip.

NelleBelle

Back in the day when they offered the "free dining plan", my MIL made sure she read the fine print on the dining plan and made sure we got everything that was included on that plan...every beverage (we had so much bottled water/juice in addition to our refill cups), snacks coming out our ears, and she made sure we ordered every appetizer and dessert at every meal! It was such a waste of food! That's when DH figured out that as vegetarians, we would never buy the plan separately and from then on we opted for the discounted rack rate. We still schedule at least one table service and then we don't spend so much $$ and wasted food overall to not do the DP.

Last edited:

KrzyKtty

Really, I think if most people that ended up not getting the dining plan for free put the same price they would have paid for on the dining plan on a gift card instead, they'll see how much money they save by not getting the dining plan. I can't imagine there's a lot of people out there that really eat the huge amount of food you would need to eat to come out on top. If you get it for free, then definitely use it, but if you had to spend thousands on it, you're probably better off just budgeting.

Figgy1

Premium Member
Really, I think if most people that ended up not getting the dining plan for free put the same price they would have paid for on the dining plan on a gift card instead, they'll see how much money they save by not getting the dining plan. I can't imagine there's a lot of people out there that really eat the huge amount of food you would need to eat to come out on top. If you get it for free, then definitely use it, but if you had to spend thousands on it, you're probably better off just budgeting.
Even more so when you pay for gift cards at 5% to 10%+ off comboing store discounts, paying for those with cash back cards and paying those right away

nickys

Premium Member

Even more so when you pay for gift cards at 5% to 10%+ off comboing store discounts, paying for those with cash back cards and paying those right away
Since we’re now DVC we don’t get those nice U.K. free dining deals. But on our last visit we made the dining plan work for the Christmas weekend by doing three character dining meals plus a BOG breakfast. But the numbers didn’t add up for the New Year weekend that same trip. So it is possible to make it worthwhile but you need to crunch the numbers.

Incidentally until fairly recently buying a Disney gift card wasn’t an option for international guests, at least not from the U.K. or EU. I think we might now be able to buy them online, although I’m not 100% sure that ShopDisney allows that any more. The U.K. Disney gift cards aren’t interchangeable with the US ones.

crazy4disney

In the Parks
No
I can say I have saved a good amount of money using the Dining Plan in years past... I always eat at character dining Breakfast & Dinner so in my situation the lack of one offered and most times offered "free" during my visits it definitely hurt last year going w/o and my current upcoming trip this summer.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I can say I have saved a good amount of money using the Dining Plan in years past... I always eat at character dining Breakfast & Dinner so in my situation the lack of one offered and most times offered "free" during my visits it definitely hurt last year going w/o and my current upcoming trip this summer.
This is one of the few remaining situations where the DDP works out financially. Not only are the character meals priced insanely high even by Disney standards, but you have to pay full price regardless if you are an adult that is going to eat their weight or an 11 year old that will eat 3 chicken nuggets and a bowl of ice cream.

crazy4disney

In the Parks
No
This is one of the few remaining situations where the DDP works out financially. Not only are the character meals priced insanely high even by Disney standards, but you have to pay full price regardless if you are an adult that is going to eat their weight or an 11 year old that will eat 3 chicken nuggets and a bowl of ice cream.

Exactly & with an 8yr old daughter who still truly enjoys these interactions it also gives us extra time in the parks to avoid having to meet most characters and "waste' time that way. So its a win win.

Weather_Lady

I have no doubt that you save money when you get something for free. ;)

I feel like we need to start putting a disclaimer on all DDP discussions that when some of us argue that the DDP is rarely "worth it," the "it" isn't time or effort or some other intangible thing. We're simply saying it's not "worth" the price for those who are actually paying for it, compared with what they'd otherwise pay for their food out of pocket.

Granted, your point about character meals is well taken, as a 1-credit character meal is manifestly the "best" use of a TS credit and really the only way to save money on the DDP (assuming, of course, that these are the exact same meals you'd book regardless of whether you had the DDP or not, meaning you'd have spent the same amount for the expensive meal and gratuity even if you were paying out-of-pocket).

Last edited:

kalel8145

I get those that say there is little to no value in the plans, and probably right. Its your money, do as you please. For my family we absolutely enjoy the convenience. Just tap the pad and move on. For myself it honestly limits the snacks I eat. Your only allotted so many so once I use them up, this fatty gets cut off. I know I could do that anyway, just a psychological thing for me. The issue here is others saying its not worth it. Worth is relative to each individual, weather it is paying more for the food then I would out of pocket, or others just find it a ridiculous thing to purchase. You do you.

crazy4disney

In the Parks
No
Yes, one does tend to save money when they get something for free. ;)

I feel like we need to start putting a disclaimer on all DDP discussions that when some of us argue that the DDP is rarely "worth it," the "it" isn't time or effort or some other intangible thing. We're simply saying it's not "worth" the price for those who are actually paying for it, compared with what they'd otherwise pay for their food out of pocket.

i wasnt really arguing just stating my personal experience with the dining plan... to me its simple math if you have places booked (which you basically have to) and you call & get prices it becomes a very simple comparison on whats cheaper. I used the word "free" loosely because i would always upgrade to the deluxe option but even without the "free" promotion i still saved money used the dining plan again i fully admit as been pointed out that character meals twice a day is where the savings is coming from. Also not wasting snack credits on smaller items always a $5-6 price tag.

King Racoon 77

Premium Member
Yes, one does tend to save money when they get something for free. ;)

I feel like we need to start putting a disclaimer on all DDP discussions that when some of us argue that the DDP is rarely "worth it," the "it" isn't time or effort or some other intangible thing. We're simply saying it's not "worth" the price for those who are actually paying for it, compared with what they'd otherwise pay for their food out of pocket. While your point about character meals is well taken as a 1-credit character meal is the "best" use of a TS credit (although it also inflates gratuity amounts and thus raises out of pocket expenses), the regular DDP wouldn't actually cover the 2-per-day you mention.
If the poster was from the UK then the dining may well have been free. 🙄 We pay the same rate regardless of if we accept the dining plan .

crazy4disney

In the Parks
No
I get those that say there is little to no value in the plans, and probably right. Its your money, do as you please. For my family we absolutely enjoy the convenience. Just tap the pad and move on. For myself it honestly limits the snacks I eat. Your only allotted so many so once I use them up, this fatty gets cut off. I know I could do that anyway, just a psychological thing for me. The issue here is others saying its not worth it. Worth is relative to each individual, weather it is paying more for the food then I would out of pocket, or others just find it a ridiculous thing to purchase. You do you.

With how Disney basically forces you to book so far in advance again it just becomes simple math & a couple phones at most. get prices for said buffet/family style meal do a rough estimate of snacks per meal plan add in the free resort mug and if that number is higher than what the dining plan cost purchase the dining plan... if its cheaper simple pass on the dining option. Its pretty simple to me.

kalel8145

With how Disney basically forces you to book so far in advance again it just becomes simple math & a couple phones at most. get prices for said buffet/family style meal do a rough estimate of snacks per meal plan add in the free resort mug and if that number is higher than what the dining plan cost purchase the dining plan... if its cheaper simple pass on the dining option. Its pretty simple to me.
Again like I said, worth is relative to the individual. I may pay more, but it is worth it to me to not have to budget and plan and do the research and math. Tap the pad and go. If you want to, cool. I wouldn't tell you how to plan your trip.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom