Dining Plan Yes or No

mynonnie

Original Poster
We have never done the dining plan but keep hearing good reports. Your comments would really be appreciated.

Thanks!

jim1051

My humble opinion is that Dining plan is a good deal. It fits us perfectly.

We stay at DVC resort and eat breakfst in villa. Then we have coounter serice lunch, and nice dinner. We have done this with and without dining plan, and so the plan works well for us.

il grande chuck

i can't speak from experience because we're going in november *with* dining plan for the first time. but here's what i've concluded from all the research i've done on it:

i crunched the numbers, and the dining plan seems to be a much better deal than out-of-pocket unless you eat nothing but counter service all week or if you're going to eat offsite a lot. otherwise, the people who appear to be unhappy about the plan are those who fail to book their adr's well in advance, so they arrive and discover that they can't get in to their favorite sit-down places. it seems to me that the plan allows you to eat cheaply at a nice mix of counter and sit-down places, without having to nickel-and-dime yourself. it becomes an even greater bargain once you figure in that you save $$$ on tax and tips as well, since they're already included in the plan.

just my $.02.

chuck

KippWade

I love the dining plan for one simple reason... It's paid for!

I don't have to worry about food expenses while we are down there, as we have it all taken care of.

It was just so nice to be at the parks and when going for a meal to just whip out the Magic My Way card and be on my merry way.

TikiBeckie

If your interested in eating at several different nice restaurants at Disney then it is great...DH and I like to eat at the nicer places, and this plans allows us to. If you only want counter meals for lunch and dinner then I wouldn't get it.

spike595

The DDP was great. The meals were already paid for and bugeted. The only thing I recommend is try to figure out where you want to eat on different days and make ADR's for those places. Many times restraunts fill up quick.

davinakb

We have never done the dining plan but keep hearing good reports. Your comments would really be appreciated. Thanks!
Hadn't done the DDP yet, but read a lot of comments while considering buying it. (FREE is a no-brainer.) Other than some of the other comments on these threads, some things to consider: – How much does your family eat? How often? Do you prefer counter service or table? Do you eat early or late?

I ask because many comments I've read have mentioned that it's almost too much food for them, and they end up with unused (usually counter service) meals. Many people, do a bagel and a piece of fruit in the morning, then bring in snacks and enjoy on big sit-down meal a day at the park or at a resort.

That's what my family has been doing for years. Last year, we bought the Disney Dining Experience card for the first time (for FL residents or annual passholders) and it's been a better fit for us. It's a flat 20% discount that covers everything, including alcohol. Usually pays for itself after two meals. (Last year I'm guessing we used it at least 10 times. :slurp: ) FWIW.

slappy magoo

If you qualify to get the DDE card, if you prefer eating at full-service resturants and especially if you likes your hooch, I'd opt for that over the Disney Dining Plan. It gives you 20% off just about every (if not every) table service resturant, a few food courts (depending on the nearby availability of a full service restruant, like in the Value resorts, POFQ, water parks or the Animal Kingdom Park) and also in many if not all of the lounges. Alcohol at WDW is not cheap, and the pass is good for parties of (I think) 10 people, 20% off an entire bill. Bring a large group to Cali Grill or any of the more-expensive resturants, it pays for itself right there.

If you're not eligible for DDE, then I say, like at least one other poster has said, go to allearsnet.com, check out the menus there, figure out where you'd like to eat and if, when all is said and done, if it will be worth it for you.

KrazyKowboy

I think it's a great deal if your eating habits include a table service meal each day. If counter service meets your taste, you'll do better out of pocket as you go.
I typically like to sit down to an appetizer and dessert as well as a large dinner of steak and potatoes once a day so it's a great plan for me.
For a listing of 2006 participating restaurants and their menus as well as the prices you'd be paying if paying out of pocket check out this link ,,,
http://www.wdwinfo.com/MagicYourWaydining.htm

CoffeeJedi

We got in on the FREE dining promo for September (if they offer it again next year, we're taking it!) Our first meal's bill at the Coral Reef for 4 people was 220 dollars! Even if it wasn't free, $40 a day is still a great deal at those prices.

Pioneer Hall

we were on the free dining plan when we were there last month. We all agreed that it was a great package and next time we will take advantage of it even if we have to pay for it.

vmkaddict

Just returned from WDW and this was our 2nd year on the DDP. I'd do it again in a heartbeat. The only downside I found this year (mainly because there were 9 of us) was having to rush to meet our ressies, sometimes we had to drop what we were doing to eat, and while on vacation I try to be a bit more spontaneous. I definitly have eaten in places I probably would not have considered without the DDP.:slurp: :slurp: Hoping they offer it again next year:lookaroun

KnK

My husband and I decided not to use the plan, but had tried it in the past. We also like to eat at the high end choices that took up 2 choices, that meant several of the days we still had to come up with meals. Also, we like to share items and don't always get 2 full meals.

Even with counter service options it just was not worth it. One of our favorite lunches is to share a turkey leg (yummm) and share an order of cheese fries. Then in the afternoon we could have a Dole Whip or ice cream. We would still have to pay for this on the dining plan. (Yes, I know the Dole Whip counts as a snack)

The other issue is those of us who have AP's. When I did the math, we still saved a lot more by using the room discount as well as the Disney Dining Card.

I am one of those folks who records every cost of Disney vacation. I make a chart that list each of the days, record where we ate and how much we spent. Overall, still came out cheaper to feed ourselves and not use a plan.

Tara Stone

Hi..We just returned from a Sept 17-24 trip on the Platinum Plan!! This is definately the way to go:sohappy: All your food is covered and I do mean all!!! The regular DDP does not at all compare to this plan which in the past was the deluxe plan and in the mid to late 90s was know as the Grand plan and only available to guests staying at the Grand Floridian and the Yacht and Beach Club. Now as long as you're at a deluxe resort it is available to you. The food portion of the plan is terrific! Let me walk you thru it...
To begin with there exists a "Platinum Plan staff". The staff is only for PP guests..they will make all your reservations for you (not just for food..for EVERYTHING!!) and advise you on every aspect of your trip. The Grand Flo PP staff is headed by a fantastic cast member by the name of Heather White. She is just the sweetest, kindest "ready to do whatever needs to be done" to make you happy person in the "World" . In addition there isn't much she doesn't know about Disney.
The PP brochyre will tell you you are entilied to 3 meals and 1 snack a day per person...these are not counter service or combo meals---you can have every meal at signature dining if you like...all the dinner shows..anywhere!
In addition you can also eat at Victoria and Alberts...every night if you so wish (we dined there twice!). Private dining (room service) is also included!:p On PP there is no diferentiating between meals and snacks..you just have your card swiped..this did on occasion cause us some problems in the parks because food carts were trying to charge to snack coupons but PP does not have snack coupons...you also don't use "two coupons" for and special meals On the first day we had 120 coupons and when we left we still had 20 some leftover! When we had snack issues our planner just told us to charge it to the room and every night they went into the system and wiped out the charges. We also did this when we wanted a salad and an appetizer since some of the resturants aren't completely familiar w/ PP as they have been seeing alot of the basic plan lately with the free promotion. Another bonus of this plan is we were able to get resevations for places we couldn't get on our own. We were able to get Cinderella's castle breakfast just a few weeks prior to arrival. We also had great seats for Hoop Dee Do with out calling a year in advance (3 tables back from stage). If you enjoy eating this is the plan to do. Four of us ate at Victoria and Alberts and it was over $500! Gratuities Included in the plan too! Also ate at: Narcoosees (food great service was the worst in my whole life!!) Chefs de France (excellent food excellent staff) Fultons Crab house (excellent!) Citricos (very good). Liberty Tree tavern( excellent food service was a little slow) Cinderella castle ( food was mediocre service slow but the kids loved it!) Le cellier ( average), lottawattta shack at Blizzard Beach. Chef Mickeys, 1900 Park Fare, The garden View for Tea at the Grand Flo. Snacks here and there..ice cream, turkey legs, etc all covered!
Mind you this is not a plan for a very tight budget but the included items other than the food also make for it being worthwhile! Unlimited recreation, boat rentals, golf w/ carts balls shoes etc..golf LESSONS! guided fishing tours (my husband LOVED it ...did 2 two hour trips) admission everywhere, the miniature golf is included too. Selected spa treatments ( massage and facial)
childcare activity centers PRivate IN ROOM baby sitting ( our sitter was Trish...she was fabulos..kids loved her!) Fireworks cruise, Preffered seating for fireworks in all the parks, La nouba, kids Pirate cruise and Wonderland tea party. Fanatsmic special seating.. EVERYTHING you can think of except alcohol! Save up its worth it!!!!! You also get special pampered treatment from the pp staff....I can't say enough good stuff about them!:sohappy: :sohappy:
progress.gif
Tara StoneView Public ProfileSend a private message to Tara StoneFind all posts by Tara StoneAdd Tara Stone to Your Buddy List

3WaltFans

Yes, dining plan. We used it for the 1st time in 2005 and are using it again in 1 more week when we head back down to WDW.

It saves money. Just make your reservations months in advance and it is great!

KrazyKowboy

Once again, DDP, yes most certainly.

Now the platinum plan, that's a whole 'nother ball game. Sounds like the whole do wa diddy to me, but afraid it's champagne taste on a beer budget for most folks.

I'm all for it though ! I'm available if someone on it needs a good sugar daddy, I'm for hire !!

:sohappy: :sohappy: :sohappy: Yeh for the platinum plan.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom