Dining Plan poll

If the rumored changes take effect:

• Will you not buy the plan now, whereas before you would have (or did).

Votes: 125 52.3%
  • You will still buy the plan.

Votes: 48 20.1%
  • You dislike the plan, and wouldn't have bought it in the first place.

Votes: 66 27.6%

• Total voters

jmvd20

Hows about option #4 - I will still buy it but will not leave a tip...

That'll teach Disney to mess with my dining plan...

Captain Hank

I'm not sure what all the uproar about tipping is. My family just finished using the dining plan for 3 days, and had a blast. We got it for a special value, but would have gotten our money's worth even if we'd paid full price. We had exceptional food and fantastic service. Also, we always tipped over the 18%, because we felt the the servers deserved it.

If the situation allowed, I think we'd definately do the dining plan again. The only rumored change that would frustrate me would be the snack plan. We were able to get some great things from the resorts for snacks, and I would not like it if it were so restricted. However, I don't think I'd be frustrated enough to not get the plan again.

Oh, and for those considering getting the plan, but simply not tipping (I hope you're just kidding), please do not do this! It only hurts the front-of-line cast members who have no say in the decision making.

jmvd20

Oh, and for those considering getting the plan, but simply not tipping (I hope you're just kidding), please do not do this! It only hurts the front-of-line cast members who have no say in the decision making.

I would hope that everyone saying it is just joking, I know I was. Unfortunately though it is always the front line people that take the heat for decisions made by management.

Just a few weeks ago I once again saw a guy yelling at a gas station worker... yea, the girl behind the register gets to pocket your $3.50/gallon :rolleyes:

Dwarful

We have used the dining plan before and are using it again in a few days. With the changes, we wouldn't bother with the plan again. Example: we are going to eat at LeCellier on Sat. night. I want to be able to go in and order whatever I want...I don't want to think "Wow, in order to make the most out of the dining plan I have to order X,Y & Z". Including the tips is a big part of it, it makes things easier and more of a value esp. for families with 6 or more people.

JimboJones123

We have used the dining plan before and are using it again in a few days. With the changes, we wouldn't bother with the plan again. Example: we are going to eat at LeCellier on Sat. night. I want to be able to go in and order whatever I want...I don't want to think "Wow, in order to make the most out of the dining plan I have to order X,Y & Z". Including the tips is a big part of it, it makes things easier and more of a value esp. for families with 6 or more people.
Thus, using the plan for breakfast is a money loser now. No way around it. Lunches are a money loser now at many places too. Every CS can't be the Chix/Ribs for $12.99 at Cosmic Rays. If paying out of pocket you are losing between $8-20 in value every TS meal. That's a big fall.

beanbunny

If they make the rumored changes, we will definitely not purchase it - there would be no advantage. While table service meals are great, they can also be very time consuming - so, unless there is added incentive - ie gratuity and appetizer, we would not bother. Counter service works just fine for us and is quite a bit less expensive! 12 days to go - who hoo - with DDP! :wave:

bassman

erm sorry if im sounding dumb but what changes are happeneing to the dining plan and when.

for our next trip we have got the dining plan in a deal we booked at coronado springs and are due to travel 27th september.

i hope this isnt going to affect our trip.

Cinderella1976

I always enjoyed the dining plan and we bought into it on every trip. It worked well for our family of five. It was really nice to know all of our meals were paid for in advance at a reasonable price with gratituity included. I personally don't mind making all of my ADR's 180 days in advance. With these new changes we will NOT be purchasing the dining plan on our future trips. I guess I will have to start saving up my Disney Dollars throughout the year for dining :lol: .

Ausdaddy

erm sorry if im sounding dumb but what changes are happeneing to the dining plan and when.

for our next trip we have got the dining plan in a deal we booked at coronado springs and are due to travel 27th september.

Read here.

vegetathedog

I will not buy the plan anymore. They seem to have taken the value out of it. Plus I had a hard time eating all my food. Buying more meals will not work for me and I am not paying $1.00 less for something that cost $5-10 dollars. Add the loss of your tip and your out another good chunk of change. Now I will just have to go grocery shopping and eat less in the parks. If these changes are true it is a shame.

Disney needs to step it up right now. The competition is working on some great projects. Aquatica (Sea World) and Harry Potter (Universal). These are both major projects that I know I want to see. The only thing I see Disney working on atm is Midway Mania. I hope some major announcements are coming soon. Taking away perks is a step back. On my next trip I will spend more time off property than I have in years.

wdwmomof3

I always enjoyed the dining plan and we bought into it on every trip. It worked well for our family of five. It was really nice to know all of our meals were paid for in advance at a reasonable price with gratituity included. I personally don't mind making all of my ADR's 180 days in advance. With these new changes we will NOT be purchasing the dining plan on our future trips. I guess I will have to start saving up my Disney Dollars throughout the year for dining :lol: .

We have a family of five too and it really does add up. I used the plan for the exact reasons that you did but I don't think we will do it again.

GoofyFan1

We don't buy the plan for a couple of reasons:

1. We don't like have a steadfast itinerary...be at this park, at this time for dinner. This is especially helpful when you are dealing with crowds in July. :lookaroun If the park we chose that day is busy, we go to a different park.

2. We don't eat that much when we're there. Coffee in the morning, lunch/dinner around 3 or 4 in the afternoon. Usually I carry some snacks with me for later. We also tend to back to the resort for pool time so we have snacks, etc. in our room.

disneymom08

I'm just not sure what the big deal is. In practice according to Touring Plans the dining plan as it is saves you between $4 and $43. So by eliminating nachos as a snack item, which I can't imagin eating anyway, and a $5 appetizer and $5 tip thats a net reduction of $9 in value. So with the changes you would be saving on average $10.50 per day using median cost menu items and potentailly $34 on the high end. Yeah, its not the great value it was before but it still saves you money. Unless I'm interpreting it incorrectly. Who didn't expect the price to go up; it is the disney way isn't it?

JimboJones123

Business is booming. Higher prices. Less perks. Guess we've been lucky since Sept. 11th. The values will be less. No reason for them not to be. WDW doesn't need to draw you as much anymore.

I equate this to my Hockey Fandom. I am priced out of going to NHL games. I used to be a season ticket holder. 41 games a year. Now, my season ticket cost from just 10 years ago would get me 14 games. So I don't go at all. Same thing may happen to WDW. If people are spending, why offer these great values? A major problem is becoming overbooking throughout the year. Why not cut back on those people overbooking if supply can't keep up with demand.

I don't think any of us have a right to complain. It just isn't a cost effective option anymore. Oh well.

erasure fan1

I'm just not sure what the big deal is. In practice according to Touring Plans the dining plan as it is saves you between $4 and $43. So by eliminating nachos as a snack item, which I can't imagin eating anyway, and a $5 appetizer and $5 tip thats a net reduction of $9 in value. So with the changes you would be saving on average $10.50 per day using median cost menu items and potentailly $34 on the high end. Yeah, its not the great value it was before but it still saves you money. Unless I'm interpreting it incorrectly. Who didn't expect the price to go up; it is the disney way isn't it?
Yes you can still save money but now you have to pay more attention to what you do to keep it a savings. The last thing I want to be doing is worrying about what the whole family is ordering to keep it a savings. Lunches and 2 credit meals can take away the benefit real quick.

flscooman

changes take effect jan/'08

If the changes go into effect, then its adios meal plan for me!

On the positive side, maybe reservations for restaurants will be easier to get!

If Disney hopes that this will be a great way to maximize profits, then they better reevaluate their changes one more time. Disney has seen a major increase in revenue to their food service. Another unintended (maybe intentional) benefit is the decrease in demand on attractions as more people spend more time in restaurants and away from overcrowded attraction lines. Additionaly, filling restaurants to capacity aides in receiving more revenue (even if slightly discounted) than having 80% bookings at full price. Finally, there's the guest satisfaction to consider. Having more people leave happy never never hurts the bottom line of a business and I think that it's clear that the program has done just that.

To illustrate the benefit of the plan here's an example of the discount math:

Take an example of a 1000 room hotel. Say the maximum price is $100/night.

Disney has 80% booked at full price. Revenue= $80,000/night

Disney has 100% booked at 10% discount. Revenue= $90,000/night + Guest satisfaction increases significantly!

To put it in a simple math equation: :D + :sohappy: + :D = $$$$$

sbkline

Without taking the time to crunch the numbers for every counter service and table service place we plan to eat at next year, I did figure a couple of them.

I want to eat at Chefs de France, for example. And one of the courses that I would probably eat is $24.95. The drink is around 3 bucks, I think and desserts are $6.95. So, not counting tax, the total comes to about $35. The dining plan will cost me $38 bucks a day, so I have already paid for my dining plan just with one table service meal. I still have to have my snack and my counter service yet that day, also. So at least on that day, it looks like I'm still coming out ahead of the game, even with these new changes which I'm not so crazy about.

Another day, I want to eat at Liberty Tree. I think it said on there that supper there is about $26. Add dessert to that and we come to probably 30 bucks or so, plus tax. That leaves me probably with less than 7 dollars left to cover my counter service for the day as well as my snack. So for that day, as well, it looks like I'm still coming out ahead.

I didn't take the time to add the numbers for the rest of the places I want to eat at, but just with those two, it looks like the DDP is still a good deal for me.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom