Dining Plan no more?

JikoMarie

because it lets me budget for my vacation up front and then just enjoy myself while I'm there and not have to think about money. Same thing with the food.

The thing is, though, now that all of the menus for the restaurants are more or less available online, it's pretty easy to budget before you leave home. I mean, you don't have to plan out your entire meal or anything but if you are looking for an idea of how much you are likely to spend at the restaurants you choose, just look at the menus.

MickeyTigg

I personally wouldn't mind seeing it go away. We have never used it...I'd rather use my Disney Dining Experience card.

It would be nice to see some variety added to the menus that have slowly become generic with th dining plan and also see some availability for ADR's free up.

While they're at it..they can get rid of the "healthy kid meals" too....talk about dull and boring.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I personally wouldn't mind seeing it go away. We have never used it...I'd rather use my Disney Dining Experience card.

It would be nice to see some variety added to the menus that have slowly become generic with th dining plan and also see some availability for ADR's free up.

While they're at it..they can get rid of the "healthy kid meals" too....talk about dull and boring.
I actually really like this and I think they did a pretty good job on it. They did not get rid of the fries they just made it an option.

tomm4004

I like it because it adds to the feel of being on vacation when I don't have to worry about how much my food is costing.

This turns WDW into an all-inclusive resort essentially. That model seems to work for Caribbean resorts. The difference there is that all, or at least most, people are on the program, and I don't think you have to reserve far in advance.

We never know where we're going to eat, or even what park we'll be in, until the day of. That's a vacation to me.

nibblesandbits

This turns WDW into an all-inclusive resort essentially. That model seems to work for Caribbean resorts. The difference there is that all, or at least most, people are on the program, and I don't think you have to reserve far in advance.

We never know where we're going to eat, or even what park we'll be in, until the day of. That's a vacation to me.
That's true. At most Carribbean resorts, you don't have to have reservations. However, most resorts offer buffets as their main way to get your meals too. At Disney you aren't limited to just one way to get your food.

While I have never used the dining plan, since it usually never fits into my schedule or budget, I think it's a great idea and it does offer the ability to eat at places you might not have eaten before. Matter of fact, on my next trip, should they offer the free dining...(and even if they didn't and I were on the plan) I know I'd like to try to eat at some different places...like Le Celliar.

I do think it stinks that people who have ADRs take away the ability for those who are walk ups to eat in a nice restaurant too. Everyone should have the chance to eat at these places, whether they decide months in advance or if they decide that day. So, imho, Disney should save some seats for walk ups...because chances are good that those seats will be taken...not that they will remain empty.

DisneyJoe

One thing I find curious is the people saying that with the DDP they are eating at places they normally would not - I assume due to budget. But if the DDP is $38.99 per day, that's $80 per day per couple. (unless the people posting are getting DDP for free). If these posters were not eating at TS places before, then there's no way that they'd be spending $80 per day on food. Therefore, the fact that they "can" afford the DDP would show that they always had the budget to eat TS - at least some nights.

I think these posters are referring to the higher end restaurants, such as Le Cellier, where the cost per person for an appetizer, entree, dessert, non-alcoholic beverage and tip is approximately $61, putting the total bill at $122. (but would they eat this much to begin with? That is how I tell people to decide if the plan is for them or not)

(DDP doesn't include breakfast?)

Of course it does! Your table service meal credits can be used for breakfast, lunch or dinner, just as your counter service credits can. You can eat a TS breakfast at Chef Mickey's, use a snack credit for a light lunch, and counter service for dinner if you wish. If you don't want the drink from your counter service meal, take a bottle of water to go. There are many ways to maximize the use of the plan.

See http://www.mousesavers.com/diningplantips2007.html for a great article.

-Joe

tomm4004

I think these posters are referring to the higher end restaurants, such as Le Cellier, where the cost per person for an appetizer, entree, dessert, non-alcoholic beverage and tip is approximately $61, putting the total bill at $122. (but would they eat this much to begin with? That is how I tell people to decide if the plan is for them or not)

The most expensive entree at Le Cellier is $27. App is $12; Dessert about $7; Drink $4. That's $50, then tip and tax. So you're about right. If I did this every night, I wouldn't make the weight allowance on the plane home!

Still, for people who are paying the $38.99 fee, I still don't see how, if they budgeted this way normally, that they couldn't eat at nice places without the plan. They can certainly eat well without the plan for $38.99 per day. You can certainly spend a lot less then the above example.

Last time we at TS at Jiko, Citricos, Brown Derby, France, Japan and Canada (and maybe another or so) over a 10-day trip (some were for lunch). We did not spend $800 on food ($38.99 x 2 people x 10 days) on that trip. As I said before, we tend to split a lot of counter service entrees (can anyone eat an entire Wolfgang Puck pizza or those sandwiches at the Boardwalk Bakery?!) We also tend to split desserts, and drink water since we don't like sugary drinks. So it's easily doable to eat well on a budget less than the plan.

Scooter

I think Disney is going to have to rethink this whole dining program.
They are selling meals to family's for less than 40 dollars, but at the same time are turning away locals and people like my wife and myself, who prefer to do walk-ups and don't mind paying $150-$200 for a meal with a good menu and good service. That's not to mention the Wait staff who are missing the $40-$60 tips we used to leave.

Clotho

Forgive me, but my understanding was that the only time when the restaurants truly book up ahead of time (no walk-ups) are:
1) during busy holidays
2) during free dining promotions

The rest of the time, it is easier to get in. But regardless...

I have never in my life expected to be able to just walk up to a delicioius table service restaurant, ANYWHERE on the planet, and felt snubbed somehow when I couldn't just get a table. Nice, sit-down meals require some planning ahead. Disney has just made it so their nice sit-down locations now are the same--you have to plan ahead.

The difference here being that they have to resort to some dining plan arrangement to get it to that point. Why shouldn't they? That's good business, to fill your tables any way you can...and thankyouverymuch, make it a deal for most of the customers in the process.

Ultimately, my only issue is with how far out we need to make our plans. I thought 90 days was far more reasonable than 180. *sigh* But the fact is, you could call any decent restaurant in your city and they would gladly take a reservation from you that far out. The fact that Disney has restrictions on how far OUT you can make the plans is actually the deviation from the norm...

bugsbunny

I don't know where you all eat at, but I can tell you that just about every trip to WDW "requires" advanced reservations or I'll end up eating burgers at a counter.

I eat at places like Liberty Tree, Le Cellier, Whispering Canyons, Artist Point, 50's Prime Time, or the Brown Derby. And for YEARS, I would call the first day I could make the reservation and actually have trouble eating at the time I wanted or maybe not at all.

I hear time and time again from people that are going to WDW and they ask me where a good place to eat is. When I ask when they are going, they will say something like "next week". I tell them some good places and tell them that they don't have a snowball chance in hell in getting a table there without a reservation, which are gone by now.

There are something like 27000 hotel rooms just on WDW property. Those people have to eat somewhere! So during busy times, you better make reservations so your $3,000 vacation doesn't turn into chicken fingers and burgers every day.

And if you are eating like a bird or eat simple fair, then the Dining Plan is not for you. Since I eat a more expensive places, the price per day for me and the Mrs. is FAR FAR FAR beyond the $80/day. During our last trip in December, we were averaging about $120/day if we would have had to pay, but instead used the DP.

This was the first usage of the plan over an 8 day vacation and I was waiting to see how it would work. I must say I truly feel like I got my money's worth out of it and can't see how I wouldn't do it again. I do feel that they tighten up the menus, but its still prety good, IMHO.

polarboi

The thing is, though, now that all of the menus for the restaurants are more or less available online, it's pretty easy to budget before you leave home. I mean, you don't have to plan out your entire meal or anything but if you are looking for an idea of how much you are likely to spend at the restaurants you choose, just look at the menus.

Well, yes, that's true, but what I meant was that you can pay for everything up front and then not have to think about money at all while you're there, except for souvenirs.

Like what I was saying with the rides... I like that I don't have to pay every time I get on a ride. I just pay to get into the park and then I get to enjoy myself, do whatever I feel like, and not worry about how much it will cost, because it's all already paid for. I have the same feeling about the food. I'm willing to pay more up front in order to have that sense of, "Hey, why not try some of this or eat over there? It's all paid for already!" I find it less stressful that way.

This turns WDW into an all-inclusive resort essentially.

Right, that's what I was going for. I like that model.

Oh, I totally agree. But the lack of spontaneity isn't the fault of the DDP; it's the fault of the ADR system. It's just that the DDP and more internet coverage of the ADR system have combined to make ADRs at nicer restaurants more popular.

For me, the simple solution to this is to limit the number of ADRs available and save the bulk of the seats for walk-up guests. That way, if you're really set on a particular restaurant, you can get an ADR, but if you don't get the ADR or you want to be spontaneous, you'll know there are plenty of walk-up seats available for those willing to to wait for them.

Then you could pay for the DDP if you wanted (I do), but it wouldn't force others to plan all their meals out 6 months in advance.

-p.b. :cool:

tomm4004

I have never in my life expected to be able to just walk up to a delicioius table service restaurant, ANYWHERE on the planet, and felt snubbed somehow when I couldn't just get a table. Nice, sit-down meals require some planning ahead. Disney has just made it so their nice sit-down locations now are the same--you have to plan ahead.

I think some people would argue that Disney is not supposed to be like everyone else.

If I stay at an all-inclusive resort in Jamaica, I don't want to have to book my meals 180 days ahead. Having said that, we usually go to WDW in March or April and we've never had trouble eating where we want either by walking up or reserving in the morning.

I do recall Al Weiss once suggesting that they wanted people to be able to plan their entire day before they entered a park, including sequence and timing of rides. I don't like that.

DisneyMusician2

As far as Disney being different from other places, it is. In most other resort areas, you can't just walk up and have dinner unless you are already a guest on that property. Assuming that you want outside people to be able to do that, it becomes the same as any other restaurant on the planet. I live in NY, and you can't even get into ANYWHERE that has really good food without a reservation at least two weeks in advance. And then only if you are lucky. You should plan a bit more, and really find a place you can eat in. I always try dining at some more off-times to facilitate getting in everywhere I want to.

frank4369

I agree wholeheartedly. I spend enough time during the year meeting deadlines and follwing a regimen; vacation is my time to do what I want.

I've never once been turned away from an eating establishment in all my trips, but then again, when I'm at the parks, considering a place to eat is not top priority for me. Never got turned away at Alfredo's or Biergarten, and when in MK, I love a good hot dog from Casey's or a greasy burge at Peco's Bill. Would much rather spend less time at a table and more time experiencing!

frank4369

I don't know where you all eat at, but I can tell you that just about every trip to WDW "requires" advanced reservations or I'll end up eating burgers at a counter.

I eat at places like Liberty Tree, Le Cellier, Whispering Canyons, Artist Point, 50's Prime Time, or the Brown Derby. And for YEARS, I would call the first day I could make the reservation and actually have trouble eating at the time I wanted or maybe not at all.

I hear time and time again from people that are going to WDW and they ask me where a good place to eat is. When I ask when they are going, they will say something like "next week". I tell them some good places and tell them that they don't have a snowball chance in hell in getting a table there without a reservation, which are gone by now.

There are something like 27000 hotel rooms just on WDW property. Those people have to eat somewhere! So during busy times, you better make reservations so your $3,000 vacation doesn't turn into chicken fingers and burgers every day.

And if you are eating like a bird or eat simple fair, then the Dining Plan is not for you. Since I eat a more expensive places, the price per day for me and the Mrs. is FAR FAR FAR beyond the $80/day. During our last trip in December, we were averaging about $120/day if we would have had to pay, but instead used the DP.

This was the first usage of the plan over an 8 day vacation and I was waiting to see how it would work. I must say I truly feel like I got my money's worth out of it and can't see how I wouldn't do it again. I do feel that they tighten up the menus, but its still prety good, IMHO.

On the last trip, we went to 50's Prime Time on a whim and were seated right away. I usually avoid the busy times like summer months or school vacations, so perhaps it would be different then. All the more reason for me to go during quieter periods.

STGRhost

I am also confused at the number of people who have a hard time getting ADRs. Are you trying to eat at specific, more traditional times, or what?
When we went in October, with the exception of Cali Grill and YSH, we made ADRs anywhere from a week ahead to the day of, for 6 or so people, and didn't have ANY trouble - and we ate bfast and dinner at Boma, lunch at France, dinner at Mexico, Jiko, etc. DH and I walked up to Brown Derby for lunch, too.
We managed to use up all of our credits for TS and CS, and most of our snacks, too (we'll work on that next time).
I remember reading these boards before we went, and being afraid we wouldn't get in ANYWHERE (which is why I did the few ADRs a week out) but we really had no trouble at all.... :shrug:

JikoMarie

Well, yes, that's true, but what I meant was that you can pay for everything up front and then not have to think about money at all while you're there, except for souvenirs.

I agree it is less stressful to plan things ahead of time. One good strategy (for anyone not doing the DDP) is to figure out roughly how much your dining is going to cost and put all of that money on your credit card before you leave home. That way you don't really have to worry about how much things cost when you are there. You simply use your room key and a way you go.

Math geek alert: (For fun)

I agree that this is a good way to figure out whether or not the plan is good for a specific family or group. However, I think your math is a little off. I'm going to assume that most people do not eat the most expensive appetizer, entree, dessert, and nonalcoholic beverage. Taking an average of each of these at Le Cellier at dinner time and adding a 15% gratuity, it is reasonable to assume that each person would spend about $47.49 each and $94.98 a couple. So, seeing as the DDP allows for $38.99, you save $8.50 a person and $17 a couple. Once again, HOWEVER, I don't think that most people eat like this. I know we certainly wouldn't. For instance, we drink water and, if we even got an appetizer, it would be shared. Also, dessert would be questionable and would really depend.

Spicey477

As a WDW restaurant server, it has been very interesting reading your opinions on the DDP.

First, let me say that I have only been serving there for a year, so I never worked without the DDP. Any guest that is on the DDP, I ask what they think of it, if it works for them. I would say 85% love it, that would probably be a family with teenagers or adults. The ones with children (under the age of 10) seem to go either way, but they are typically not enjoying the fine dining options and instead spending their points on character dining.

As far as people knowing about it, our nights vary, but some nights, half of my tables have never heard of it, or some nights all of them are DDP. When I mention it, they do ask what it entails and usually seem interested. Lately I have had a lot of Canadians and Floridians (spring break here) and I would say of those tables, 5% of them were on the DDP. So, I am guessing that the vacation planners are mentioning it to some, and not to others (going back to that conversation about external marketing).

I do remember some rumblings in the fall about how we were losing a lot of money with the free DDP and the computer systems have been updated to catch any DDP fraud.

As a guest, I have the Disney Dining Experience card, and truly enjoy going to WDW a lot to eat for special events and with visitors in town. In that way, the DDP is killing me, because it is hard to get popular restaurants (ahem...Ohana) and not just at holidays/breaks. I am talking mid-January here, and I am not calling the day of, typically a week or two before. Also, I have noticed (maybe because of the DDP) a decline in the standards for the finer dining spots. My husband was in a jacket and I was in a nice outfit for the California Grill (requests business casual wear) and there are kids in there with gym shorts on all over the place. It just makes for a different dining experience, but I am not blaming that on the DDP.

STGRhost

I agree that this is a good way to figure out whether or not the plan is good for a specific family or group. However, I think your math is a little off. I'm going to assume that most people do not eat the most expensive appetizer, entree, dessert, and nonalcoholic beverage. Taking an average of each of these at Le Cellier at dinner time and adding a 15% gratuity, it is reasonable to assume that each person would spend about $47.49 each and $94.98 a couple. So, seeing as the DDP allows for $38.99, you save $8.50 a person and $17 a couple. Once again, HOWEVER, I don't think that most people eat like this. I know we certainly wouldn't. For instance, we drink water and, if we even got an appetizer, it would be shared. Also, dessert would be questionable and would really depend.

But I don't think that's right, either. The $38.99 is per day, not TS meal, I believe. So you need to include the average CS meal and snack in that amount, too. Assuming the average CS meal costs $10 (which is probably low, especially with the dessert included) and the snack is $2.50, you would have spent around $60 for the day, which means you save about $20.
Of course, math isn't my thing, so feel free to correct me. But it sounds like a good deal if you like food!:slurp:

Justin Jones

I wouldn't miss the Dining Plan itself. I have used it and liked it, but prefer the Disney Dining Experience for the flexibility it provides. I would miss the possibility of the occasional Free Dining Plan that has been offered, I'm prepared to accept less flexibility for free food :D

I think the biggest problem the DDP has is the impact it's had on availability. I don't mind deciding six months in advance where I'd like to eat, but there are plenty who do. With the advent of DDP, spontaneous dining at TS restaurants virtually ceased to exist, alienating spontaneous guests and locals who don't need to make long range reservations for vacations to the World...

I know it was an almost constant when we were there in February to see people being turned away because of not having ADRs or being told to come back in two hours, there might be something. "Veteran" guests who know what to expect can plan ahead, but a novice who booked a vacation to the World without doing any real research and paid for DDP might be justifiably bitter if they can't actually use all [or potentially any] of their TS credits. I would bet Guest Relations received "an earful" from a number of guests.

I don't understand your argument about flexibility. We've had the dining plan three years in a row, and we hardly ever do any advance planning. Sure, we do book an evening at the California Grille, but everything else falls into place while we're in the parks (even eating at very popular restaurants like Boma, Narcoosee's, and Coral Reef). If we're in Epcot and decide to eat at Le Celier, we call a couple of hours before dinner time and usually (99% of the time) get a table (we've even walked up 5 minutes before and received a table in June!). Likewise, we may be in Animal Kingdom and decide to eat at Flame Tree right on the spot. I don't know if we got some special plan, but to us it's not constricting at all, and we save tons of money.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom