Dining Plan no more?

Scooter

Based on the number of complaints about the current dining plan, I wouldn't be surprised if they got rid of it or changed it in some way, shape or form.

jmvd20

I too just heard something, I may be able to get my hands on a slightly used bridge - if anyone is interested I may be able to get you a great deal on it.

Magic Freak

Maybe they are going back to the old system when you had it on the Deluxe plan, etc...

Maybe in the long run they are actually losing alot of money on the deal.

People will complain and they will adjust...

The people waiting for the free dining plans will be the most upset.

I can confirm that Disney is not loosing money on the Dining Plan.:)

tomm4004

I hope this is true the only thing the Dining plan has done is ruined most of what were good restaurants.

I'm not agreeing or disagreeing with this, but it is interesting to look at from an economics point of view.

If a meal is valued at $40 and Disney is giving it to DDP customers and placing a value of $28 on it, is it reasonable to assume that the quality will stay at a level worthy of the $40 value? If the customers themselves don't place a value of $40 on the meal - and many have said that they would not eat there at regular prices - then why would Disney place a $40 value on the meal? Are they not going to lower the value toward the $28 mark to keep their financial box by cutting costs somehow?

And if customers who are paying full price realize they are no longer getting $40 in value, will they not go elsewhere?

It seems inevitable that the quality and variety would suffer, at least from an economics point of view.

Also, if they are turning people away - maybe they need more restaurants! Do they have to be at capacity all the time to make a profit?

Kalikala

I'd personally love to see it gone.

I miss the days when if you were at Epcot and decided Le Cellier sounded really good for that night, you could walk over and get a table. Now if you didn't book it months in advance, there's not a lot of chance you're going to get a table. I know a lot of people don't mind planning out their meals way in advance, but I'm very spontaneous with where I go each day- I have no idea where I'm going to feel like eating three months from now!

Also, the quality/quantity of food seems to have declined since the dining plan began. The S'mores at 50s Prime Time, for example, are now half the size they used to be.

I can see how the dining plan would be awesome for some people, but there's just no way it would be a "savings" for me. I usually spend around $20-$25/day on food, and end up stuffed. The plan would be WAY too much food for me- so much of it would go to waste!

Champion

There haven't been any External Marketing efforts for the DDP, only internal (which are inexpensive) and WOM buzz. That's just it, the majority of people that book reservations (not just Worldphiles, ect) are not even aware of the dining plan. While most everyone here is, the average guest is not necessarily aware of it because of the lack of external marketing. But I'd be willing to bet MANY more people are aware of the infamous "$1600" package or the stay at the Castle Suite, because those are things that are externally marketed. And believe it or not, it's not as big of a money maker as people here seem to make it out to be. Just because it is popular does not mean it brings in significantly increased revenue. Folks on the board in finance can back me up on that one. (Jeremy, that's your cue)

Yeah, no external marketing except for the year and a half they offered it FREE as a perk for staying onsite.

Oh.

tink rules

First...I need to say that we go three times per year. Two weekend trips and one 10 day trip through DVC and I am not one of these people who like to "arrange" my trip itinerary 180 days in advace.

A fellow DVCer clued me in on how to beat the system...his theory to preserve "spontaneous" dining. They booked a breakfast and a dinner at each park for their trip before they bought the dining plan. This ensured they would have a table no matter what park they decided to go to for that day. While this is not truly "spontaneous" it does leave the option to go to whatever park they want. They do cancel the extra reservations once they decide on the park and meal of choice for the day. In essence, they book 8 reservations per day and only use 1.

While I do not agree with this method...it really works. I called today to attempt to do this and was actually allowed to book 8 resevations for one day. It may be wrong...but I will try for our 10 day trip later this year.

Let the beating commence:( :goodnevil :fork:

So they're the reason I can't get ADR's to Ohana!!! :eek:

I won't beat... I just know who to go with next time because then I'll "always have a table"!!!

miles1

Not saying it will come to be, just saying it is a possibility due to certain products that are being heavily marketed, and the reasons behind the necessity to heavily market the new product might have led people to believe it is possible the DDP is being discontinued.

Do you think you could make this a little more cryptic?:lol:

I'm trying to read between the lines. The message I'm getting is that DVC members are P.O.'d that they can't get into the restaurants on short notice, making DVC harder to market when there's a lot of new units coming on line.

Am I way off base?

jasondiff

As it stands I would love to see them get rid of it. Dining at WDW has gone downhill in the last several years and at least some of the blame has to go to the DDP.
Alternatively, let them make the restaurants worth their menu prices with better menus and food, and charge $49.99/day or more for the DDP. I'd be ok with that.
I always make my ADRs way in advance, so I never have had a problem with getting a TS meal when and where I want, but I know it's a problem for many.

As for the financials, look at it this way: If all the TS ADRs are booked by people on the DDP where the TS value is $28, then all those people eager and willing to pay $40 cannot do so. Thus, if Disney can find a way to have TS occupancy at 75% of what it currently is with the DDP, then they actually make more money, use less food and staff, AND there is still availability for walkups or last minute ressies.

I don't doubt that most people who use the DDP love it. But how many people who don't use the DDP complain when they can't get a table the same day or even a week in advance. If these complaints are numerous and loud enough, I can see them getting rid of it.

I also wonder if servers are getting less in tips than they used to, because gratuities are included on the DDP and it's likely many people who would tip well otherwise don't leave any additional gratuity when they're on the DDP.

typhoonguy

Original Poster
Yeah, no external marketing except for the year and a half they offered it FREE as a perk for staying onsite.

Oh.
Actually that would not be external marketing. That was internal. External marketing would be an add in a non-Disney magazine or TV station. Internal marketing would be placing it on the disneyworld.com website, or offering it by Word of Mouth through the Walt Disney Travel Company, or even sending out mailers to travel agents or previous guests. Those are all examples of what happened with the DDP, examples of internal marketing. A great example of external are the commercials I sited earlier in the posting.

......... the majority of people that book reservations (not just Worldphiles, ect) are not even aware of the dining plan........because it is popular does not mean it brings in significantly increased revenue. Folks on the board in finance can back me up on that one. (Jeremy, that's your cue)

First off I took part of your quote out so I could respond too two things.

I see you know some of moderate level Disney nomenclature. So I'm assuming either A) Your are/were/know someone who is a CM or B) A Disneyphile that likes to learn the various nomenclature to boost things passed down from them. Of course I have no clue who you are/were/know nor do I care to be honest. I always do find it amusing when people toss around nomenclature to make it seem they are more "in the know".

Anyways...To say that "..the majority of people that book reservations (not just Worldphiles, ect) are not even aware of the dining plan..". I think that is silly.. do really think that WDTC (Walt Disney Travel Company) CM's do not want people to know about something that will/can increase their revenue? That would go the same for travel agents as well. I'm sure someone can correct me if I'm off base on this one.

Lastly "...because it is popular does not mean it brings in significantly increased revenue. Folks on the board in finance can back me up on that one. (Jeremy, that's your cue)" I'm sure something must be working for the Dining plan otherwise it would never have been brought back for a second year. I do admit adding the line about Jeremy was a nice touch also. I would like to also give a shout out to Phil in Ailse 3 cubicle 6 (I really dont know a Phil just thought I would add it) I'm sure the Prince Of Persia Billboard will look great on top of the Narnia building.

Dont forget the mouse is watching. Keep the postive buzz alive. :)

mickeysgal

I loved the DDP. It really doesn't matter to me about the "free" option, because I'm a DVC member, and I can't get it for free anyway.

After enjoying the DDP on our last trip, I wondered if Disney would create another level of DDP. This one would be (3) counter services and a snack. It could be considerably less than the current DDP, and a little more understandable than the "trade in credits" on the current plan. This option would give guests on a real tight budget, 3 meals a day, and keep them on property. This could possibly ease the overcrowding of the table service restaurants, open more tables for walk up guests, castmembers, and residents. It could also help bring back the variety, the menus used to have.

Disney could also offer the less expensive plan during the "free" promotions, then guests have the option to upgrade to the other option.

Just a thought I always wanted to share!

Champion

Actually that would not be external marketing. That was internal. External marketing would be an add in a non-Disney magazine or TV station. Internal marketing would be placing it on the disneyworld.com website, or offering it by Word of Mouth through the Walt Disney Travel Company, or even sending out mailers to travel agents or previous guests. Those are all examples of what happened with the DDP, examples of internal marketing. A great example of external are the commercials I sited earlier in the posting.

If you called they would have given it to you. Same as the current ad that is running now.

But I have the feeling that you are just going to bend the facts to fit your opinion, so go ahead and post whatever you want.

ImaYoyo

If you called they would have given it to you. Same as the current ad that is running now.

But I have the feeling that you are just going to bend the facts to fit your opinion, so go ahead and post whatever you want.
I think you're missing the point on this one... Because you are or are not offered the plan when you call does not differentiate internal marketing from external. If you call and are able to get the dining plan, that doesn't change the way it was marketed to you. Marketing is how does the information reach you. Internally, the company reaches you through their own media, like you calling and then being told about it from a cast member. Externally, the company reaches you through another company's media. Like you watching the Discovery Channel and seeing a commercial for the dining plan. Make more sense now?

Anyway, I would miss the dining plan. My family always found it to save us a load.

GrowingUpDisney

Do you think you could make this a little more cryptic?:lol:

I'm trying to read between the lines. The message I'm getting is that DVC members are P.O.'d that they can't get into the restaurants on short notice, making DVC harder to market when there's a lot of new units coming on line.

Am I way off base?

Now I am lost!!! Does this have anything at all to do with DVC? I though this was about DDP. Where did DVC get thrown into the mix?

Niki

JikoMarie

I'm glad that the DDP is working for some people but I personally think that the DDP as it's being offered right now is terrible. While I don't mind making reservations well in advance, the DDP is not a savings for us in the least. Sure, if you would normally buy that much food in a day, the DDP would save you money but we don't eat anywhere near that amount of food in the run of a day.

Not to mention all the waste I've heard about. People leave still having 10 or 11 snack credits left over sometimes. I like only paying for what I actually eat.

As far as trying new restaurants, I don't really get how the DDP helps you to do this. If you want to try something new, simply make a reservation.

As well, I believe people when they say that the quality of food has suffered because of the DDP. As BeachClubVillas says:

I miss the days when different restaurants had different food and the signature restaurants had signature dishes to try. Since the dining plan, I've noticed a huge decrease in the variety of food offered at the table service restaurants, and I think it's because more and more people are eating there.

So I think the Disney Dining Plan definitely needs to be altered.

For the record, it seems as though Disney Dining is cracking down on this. It is a lot more difficult as of late to book more than one reservation for each meal. I am personally glad about this. I think that your friend's method is unfair.

A fellow DVCer clued me in on how to beat the system...his theory to preserve "spontaneous" dining. They booked a breakfast and a dinner at each park for their trip before they bought the dining plan. This ensured they would have a table no matter what park they decided to go to for that day. While this is not truly "spontaneous" it does leave the option to go to whatever park they want. They do cancel the extra reservations once they decide on the park and meal of choice for the day. In essence, they book 8 reservations per day and only use 1.

Oh.

I'm confused about this. A. Onsite Disney guests ate free for a year and a half? I had heard about this free dining being offered in August and September but not for a year and a half. Could you please clarify? B. They definetly did not externally market this! I'm sure I would recall a single advertisement if they did. They don't externally market the dining plan at all, as another poster has pointed out.

Anyways...To say that "..the majority of people that book reservations (not just Worldphiles, ect) are not even aware of the dining plan..". I think that is silly.. do really think that WDTC (Walt Disney Travel Company) CM's do not want people to know about something that will/can increase their revenue? That would go the same for travel agents as well. I'm sure someone can correct me if I'm off base on this one.

Actually, the poster you are responding to is correct in my opinion. WDW doesn't really market DDP much at all, internally or externally. I've been on the phone several times with CMs about my upcoming honeymoon onsite at WDW and never once did anyone even mention the dining plan to me. (I don't really care because I think it's a crock but that's not the point.)

Clotho

I seriously doubt they will ever offer an all counter service DDP. Mainly because they are counting on people buying alcoholic drinks with their TS meals. Restaurants make a huge percentage of their $$ through alcohol sales. Usually it is the highest grossing item on any menu, followed by desserts. A lot of people don't know that restaurants don't really make much on appetizers and entrees.

So if they can get you in on discounted meals, they can get you to drink, they can make most of their money. So they want to fill those tables as much as possible, to up their liquor sales.

tomm4004

Not to mention all the waste I've heard about. People leave still having 10 or 11 snack credits left over sometimes. I like only paying for what I actually eat.

Ah, I wonder if this is where the profit is made. It's like rebates on a TV or computer product - what percentage of people actually send it in?

One thing I find curious is the people saying that with the DDP they are eating at places they normally would not - I assume due to budget. But if the DDP is $38.99 per day, that's $80 per day per couple. (unless the people posting are getting DDP for free). If these posters were not eating at TS places before, then there's no way that they'd be spending $80 per day on food. Therefore, the fact that they "can" afford the DDP would show that they always had the budget to eat TS - at least some nights.

Since we don't eat much and portions tend to be huge, we usually split counter service entrees. So lunch at Flame Tree will be about $14 bucks, or at the Tangerine it might be $17. That leaves us $63-66 dollars for dinner (DDP doesn't include breakfast?). And we wouldn't eat TS every night so some days our budget might only be $30-40 bucks for the two of us. That leaves $100 for dinner the next night - which will get us through Citricos. So unless you are getting DDP for free, I'm not actually sure how you come out ahead. We wouldn't, since we don't eat that much and don't want to eat TS every night.

jasondiff

I think for the most part people think it's a great deal because they get more than $38.99 worth of food. But the question is, whether they would spend that much on food if they weren't on the plan. As you pointed out, I think the answer is "no" a lot more than it is "yes".

And it's pretty clear that not everyone gets such a great deal - if you have 12 snack credits left at the end of your stay, you're losing money there. Especially since you can use snack credits to buy soda or water - I have to figure these people drank something while in the parks all week!

polarboi

I love the DDP. For me, it's not a matter of savings (except when it's free), since I'm frugal and would likely spend less on food without it.

I like it because it adds to the feel of being on vacation when I don't have to worry about how much my food is costing. It's like the difference between paying for each ride on an attraction (the old way) versus paying for admission to the parks and then getting to ride whatever you want (now standard almost everywhere). Even if the latter worked out to be more expensive, I'd still prefer it, because it lets me budget for my vacation up front and then just enjoy myself while I'm there and not have to think about money. Same thing with the food.

-p.b. :cool:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom