Dining Plan no more?

typhoonguy

Original Poster
Ah. In that case....NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!! I hope the info is not right! (And thank you for the clarification)
Not saying it will come to be, just saying it is a possibility due to certain products that are being heavily marketed, and the reasons behind the necessity to heavily market the new product might have led people to believe it is possible the DDP is being discontinued.

DisneyMusician2

Not saying it will come to be, just saying it is a possibility due to certain products that are being heavily marketed, and the reasons behind the necessity to heavily market the new product might have led people to believe it is possible the DDP is being discontinued.

Interesting....well then! Let us know when you know more. I'll be very interested to see if it will continue, or if there is anything else interesting planned in its place.

mufasa0505

I wouldn't be surprised if they are tweaking it, like maybe doing a couple of different levels (like the old silver, gold, platinum) but the plan is very popular (even when it's not free).

BeachClubVillas

I would love to see them get rid of the Dining Plan, but that's just my personal preference. It's so popular that I can't see them actually doing so. What I really wish they would do is stop generalizing every menu. I miss the days when different restaurants had different food and the signature restaurants had signature dishes to try. Since the dining plan, I've noticed a huge decrease in the variety of food offered at the table service restaurants, and I think it's because more and more people are eating there.

I would love to see them get rid of the Dining Plan, but that's just my personal preference. It's so popular that I can't see them actually doing so. What I really wish they would do is stop generalizing every menu. I miss the days when different restaurants had different food and the signature restaurants had signature dishes to try. Since the dining plan, I've noticed a huge decrease in the variety of food offered at the table service restaurants, and I think it's because more and more people are eating there.

How I agree! They cannot ged rid of it fast enough! Then, maybe, there would be some spontaneity left. I might be able to make reservations without thinking '180 days today...': I might eat different food in different restaurants; and I might be able to say, once more, that WDW provides fine dining. Here's hoping....

Thurp

As a local, I would prefer that they got rid of it. Now, I can understand the significant cost savings to a family (food isn't cheap at WDW) but, speaking selfishly, it prevents us (full-paying customers) from eating at any table service restaurant. We choose restaurants the same day or the day before, when the DDP promotion is in effect, we can never get a reservation so we end up spending $10 on a burger and a drink instead of 3 times as much as a table service restaurant.

lpet11984

I too would hate to see the dining plan leave-- because of it, my family was able to try all sorts of new places that we wouldn't have otherwise. Some of them are now as high on our must do list as some of the attractions.

I also don't think it'll happen, given all the marketing efforts they've done with it lately. Just last summer they expanded the snack offerings with the DDP (yay Dole Whip!!)....not sure why they'd go to all that trouble just to pull it now, but I suppose crazier things have happened.

Either way, I hope they don't get rid of it.

typhoonguy

Original Poster
I too would hate to see the dining plan leave-- because of it, my family was able to try all sorts of new places that we wouldn't have otherwise. Some of them are now as high on our must do list as some of the attractions.

I also don't think it'll happen, given all the marketing efforts they've done with it lately. Just last summer they expanded the snack offerings with the DDP (yay Dole Whip!!)....not sure why they'd go to all that trouble just to pull it now, but I suppose crazier things have happened.

Either way, I hope they don't get rid of it.
There haven't been any External Marketing efforts for the DDP, only internal (which are inexpensive) and WOM buzz. That's just it, the majority of people that book reservations (not just Worldphiles, ect) are not even aware of the dining plan. While most everyone here is, the average guest is not necessarily aware of it because of the lack of external marketing. But I'd be willing to bet MANY more people are aware of the infamous "$1600" package or the stay at the Castle Suite, because those are things that are externally marketed. And believe it or not, it's not as big of a money maker as people here seem to make it out to be. Just because it is popular does not mean it brings in significantly increased revenue. Folks on the board in finance can back me up on that one. (Jeremy, that's your cue)

svickersart

I havent used the DDP yet, we are booked for WDW with DDP this November mainly because it is a money saver for us. there is a very good profit on restraunt food so I dont think Disney is losing money on the plan at all. We are looking forward to giving it a try.
Steve

lpet11984

There haven't been any External Marketing efforts for the DDP, only internal (which are inexpensive) and WOM buzz. That's just it, the majority of people that book reservations (not just Worldphiles, ect) are not even aware of the dining plan. While most everyone here is, the average guest is not necessarily aware of it because of the lack of external marketing. But I'd be willing to bet MANY more people are aware of the infamous "$1600" package or the stay at the Castle Suite, because those are things that are externally marketed. And believe it or not, it's not as big of a money maker as people here seem to make it out to be. Just because it is popular does not mean it brings in significantly increased revenue. Folks on the board in finance can back me up on that one. (Jeremy, that's your cue)

I don't doubt your reasoning for one minute-- I realize that the average person probably doesn't know what all those little symbols next to the menu items represent. I'm not saying that the DDP is a huge money maker at all; it's a convenience/service for guests who know about it. Those who book through the right travel agencies or directly through Disney are much more likely to use it, because they're more likely to hear about it.

All I'm saying is 1) I'd hate to see it go and 2)why bother to go through all the effort of revamping part of the program less than a year ago if they're just going to pull the whole thing? :veryconfu Now, that's not to say they won't do it-- I've seen crazier things.

As you said earlier, it's a "possibility". All any of us can do now is wait and see.

I'd still hate to see it go, though.

recrat

How I agree! They cannot ged rid of it fast enough! Then, maybe, there would be some spontaneity left. I might be able to make reservations without thinking '180 days today...': I might eat different food in different restaurants; and I might be able to say, once more, that WDW provides fine dining. Here's hoping....

First...I need to say that we go three times per year. Two weekend trips and one 10 day trip through DVC and I am not one of these people who like to "arrange" my trip itinerary 180 days in advace.

A fellow DVCer clued me in on how to beat the system...his theory to preserve "spontaneous" dining. They booked a breakfast and a dinner at each park for their trip before they bought the dining plan. This ensured they would have a table no matter what park they decided to go to for that day. While this is not truly "spontaneous" it does leave the option to go to whatever park they want. They do cancel the extra reservations once they decide on the park and meal of choice for the day. In essence, they book 8 reservations per day and only use 1.

While I do not agree with this method...it really works. I called today to attempt to do this and was actually allowed to book 8 resevations for one day. It may be wrong...but I will try for our 10 day trip later this year.

Let the beating commence:( :goodnevil :fork:

spaceghost

Let's recap:

Because of the promotion of another "product" its possible that the Disney Dining Plan may go away.

So, in other words, there something else coming along that at least overlaps, if not supersedes the current dining plan. So even if the current incarnation of the plan goes away, there's going to be some sort of comparable service offered...

...probably. :lookaroun

KeithVH

<SNIP>What I really wish they would do is stop generalizing every menu. I miss the days when different restaurants had different food and the signature restaurants had signature dishes to try. Since the dining plan, I've noticed a huge decrease in the variety of food offered at the table service restaurants, and I think it's because more and more people are eating there.

Do we know if the dining plan was the major reason for this change. I mean I have to agree with this sentiment. It has REALLY changed overall in the last 5-10 years. But, if the DDP did go away, especially the Free option, I'm not sure that would change the genericization (ouch) of the menus.

I am very suprised though that more people don't complain about this on the various boards. Sometimes it almost seems a non-issue.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom