Dining Plan Changes

Alztybrn

Original Poster
Listening to the WDW Today podcast, Len Testa (Ohhh Len!) of the Unofficial Guide mentions some rumors from very good sources of what changes we may see.

1. All dining plans will not have gratuity included

2. There will be a deluxe plan that includes Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner, as well as 2 snacks per person, per night (not sure what type of options will be available...ie. counter service vs. sit down meals)

3. Snacks will be reduced to essentially a medium beverage, water, popcorn or ice cream bar.

I am not a fan of these changes, as we will probably also see a price INCREASE from last years price, with the reduction of what we get in return. This is making the DDE look all that more of a bargain.

Richie248

If the rumors are true, that certainly makes the DDP less appealling. I like the ease of having gratuity included. I guess we'll have to see how this pans out!

erasure fan1

Yea the changes dont look all that great to me either. We did it this last trip and that was enough for me. Add in a price increase and the tip not included and thats just not worth it for us. Hopefully they change the horrid kids selections.

lilclerk

Listening to the WDW Today podcast, Len Testa (Ohhh Len!) of the Unofficial Guide mentions some rumors from very good sources of what changes we may see.

2. There will be a deluxe plan that includes Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner, as well as 2 snacks per person, per night (not sure what type of options will be available...ie. counter service vs. sit down meals)

3. Snacks will be reduced to essentially a medium beverage, water, popcorn or ice cream bar.

I am not a fan of these changes, as we will probably also see a price INCREASE from last years price, with the reduction of what we get in return. This is making the DDE look all that more of a bargain.

:eek: :mad:

autigger

We have used the dining plan and really enjoyed it. I doubt we would use it with these changes.

I thought the whole idea of the dining plan was to make a Disney World vacation like a cruise ship or an all inclusive trip, i.e., pay one price and most everything is included. These changes completely defeat that concept.

If true, this is a poor decision by Disney.

These changes will make families like mine search for options outside Disney for dining. While using the dining plan on recent trips, we never ventured off property. I doubt that will be the case now.

kennygman

We've used it twice. Once was free. I can understand the no tip, but they should lower the price by the 18% tip then. Changing the snacks is a bad move, I liked the freedom to choose.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member

From what I have heard (insert salt here) the rumor of gratuity being removed from the DDP is not correct. Apparently the original source of this rumor misunderstood a change to another dinning plan and applied it to MYW dinning. Rumor 2 is correct, at least as correct as a rumor can be, no clue on rumor 3.

cmatt

think ill stick to buying my food - as in breakfast then one meal (just a main course) in the evening, and possibly a chorro in the daytime.

Dont think i would get my money's worth! :p

mousefan1972

I'll be really bummed if this is true. Especially the snack option change...
I think Disney will see a decrease in the number of guests purchasing the DDP if they go forward with these changes. :(

lilclerk

We've used it twice. Once was free. I can understand the no tip, but they should lower the price by the 18% tip then. Changing the snacks is a bad move, I liked the freedom to choose.

I definitely agree with both of those. What if I don't want popcorn or ice cream (hard to believe, but it could happen?) And I personally don't like Dole Whips, but man would that start a riot if they weren't a snack anymore :lol:

And we always tipped above the DDP tip, so that's not a huge deal.. but it was nice, just in case one of us didn't have cash on us.

Ausdaddy

From what I have heard (insert salt here) the rumor of gratuity being removed from the DDP is not correct. Apparently the original source of this rumor misunderstood a change to another dinning plan and applied it to MYW dinning. Rumor 2 is correct, at least as correct as a rumor can be, no clue on rumor 3.

This is good to hear on Rumor #1, but Len is a pretty good source. I hope we can get some definitive information soon. It will affect my planning for a trip early next year. I agree with everyone that the snack change is disappointing, if true. The gratuity change would affect my decision to purchase, however.

RiversideBunny

I think there used to be a version of this years ago, long before there was something called the DDP.
When you bought your tickets for WDW you could buy the all-inclusive version that included all your meals.

:)

dandaman

I personally don't like Dole Whips, but man would that start a riot if they weren't a snack anymore...

I'm surprised it took a full 10 posts for someone to say something about this. :lol:

...Besides Dole Whips, the ice cream and popcorn were the only two things I usually got on the DDP as a snack anyway. :shrug:

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
This is good to hear on Rumor #1, but Len is a pretty good source. I hope we can get some definitive information soon. It will affect my planning for a trip early next year. I agree with everyone that the snack change is disappointing, if true. The gratuity change would affect my decision to purchase, however.
Agreed, he is but from what I am getting this not one of those malicious rumors just someone getting their wires a little crossed and some misinterpreted information getting a life of its own as we know happens from time to time on the internet.

Alztybrn

Original Poster
OK...so here is some quick math (BEWARE!) :lol:

Using 2007 prices:

Day at the MK

Lunch at Pecos Bill:
Cheeseburger - $5.89
Desert - $3.59
Drink - $2.39

Dinner at Crystal Palace
$28.00 (no tip)

Snack - $2.50

Total = $42.37 (what cost would be if paying for DDP features)

So...if you were on the DDP you paid $39.00 for the day, BUT now...you have to add tip to your sit down meal...another $5.04 (18%) out of pocket, which brings your total you paid ($39.00 DDP + $5.04 tip = $44.04!!!!

You are actually LOSING money by using the DDP :hammer:

Computer Magic

I hope this is not true and Master Yoda is correct.

As for #3, That was the orginal DDP when it came out a few years ago. It didn't go so well and Disney changed it to add anything around $3.00.

I really like the current plan. I could even consider a small increase if it went towards the tip.

hrcollectibles

I am a fan of the dining plan. Even if these changes do fo into effect. While I used the dining plan I still left tips (yes I knew Tips are included) but when i go out i generally tip between 20 - 25%...

LivinWitTheLand

I think there used to be a version of this years ago, long before there was something called the DDP.
When you bought your tickets for WDW you could buy the all-inclusive version that included all your meals.

:)

You still can buy an inclusive MYW Premium ticket that includes all your meals and unlimited recreation such as parasailing etc. Disney does not heavily market it, but it is an option when booking on wdw.com

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom