Dining plan changes to KILL Free Dining???

erasure fan1

Who in their right mind wouldn't accept an offer that provides $980 worth of food in exchange for $177 (18%)? I'd run with that offer any day of the week.
Yes its a great deal but the point is how would that effect the servers. You might tip, I know I would tip but I can see a lot of people take free dining as just that, FREE as in no money has to leave your hands. Resulting in a lot of servers getting a big fat bunch of nothing.

WDW-LUVR

When My hubbie and I first started going to Diseny World we did the spontaneous Dinning Plan and each year we found it getting hard and hard to just walk up to the podium and say "table for 2, please." We didn't like missing out on our Favorite places so we started doing ADR, which use to be priority seating. That was long before The Dinning Plan and the FREE Dinning Promo. I believe 180 ADR in necessary due to fact that everybody LOVES WDW and finds a way to put it in there budget and not because of the Dinning Plan. Now Our Family is a big fan of the Dinning Plan, Food is paid before we leave the house and don't have to budget that in to our spending money. We have had some BAD experiences with service and them adding tip to things that were not covered on the dinning plan, so I like the fact that they are taken the tip out, wished that they had reduced the price more than a dollar though, but hopefully the service and the quality of the food will return to what it once was.

WDW-LUVR

I don't think 15% has been the average for at least 2 years. Besides, unless I receive bad service, I'm usually tiping 20-25%.:shrug:

In High School I use to waitress and If I get Bad Service I Don't tip at all. If I get good service then I leave a very hefty tip. even with using the Dinning Plan I would leave a tip on the table if the service was good.

DisneyJoe

Who in their right mind wouldn't accept an offer that provides $980 worth of food in exchange for $177 (18%)? I'd run with that offer any day of the week.

You only need to tip for table service - counter service and snacks are usually not tipped, so your calculated tip should be less.

If Disney is smart they will stay away from the free dining promo
Why? if it fills the rooms on property? Give me a good business reason that they should "stay away from the free dining promo"?

erasure fan1

Why? if it fills the rooms on property? Give me a good business reason that they should "stay away from the free dining promo"?
Bad PR is a strong thing, either from unhappy employees (and you will have lots), or guests feeling they got ripped because its not "free" like it always was. If they add the tip back in for the free dining promo then like I said, thats fine.

JimboJones123

Original Poster
Bad PR is a strong thing, either from unhappy employees (and you will have lots), or guests feeling they got ripped because its not "free" like it always was. If they add the tip back in for the free dining promo then like I said, thats fine.
I don't think that I must have said it that clearly before.

IT IS NOT FREE IF YOU ARE "EXPECTED" TO STILL PAY MORE. That is the point of the thread. Upsetting 2 of the 3 parties involved would not be kosher.

Sure it doesn't bother EVERYBODY -- and congrats for it not bothering you if you are in that group. But I would be bothered by having to fit an extra bill for something "I" was told was free. A "clear" disclaimer would need to be more than necessary in all advertising, booking, mailing, seating, and billing.

Yes, you can "expect" that anybody of at least "general" intellegence should understand what responsibility they are getting into, but that would just be another opportunity to push your superiority agenda.

erasure fan1

I don't think that I must have said it that clearly before.

IT IS NOT FREE IF YOU ARE "EXPECTED" TO STILL PAY MORE. That is the point of the thread. Upsetting 2 of the 3 parties involved would not be kosher.

Sure it doesn't bother EVERYBODY -- and congrats for it not bothering you if you are in that group. But I would be bothered by having to fit an extra bill for something "I" was told was free. A "clear" disclaimer would need to be more than necessary in all advertising, booking, mailing, seating, and billing.

Yes, you can "expect" that anybody of at least "general" intellegence should understand what responsibility they are getting into, but that would just be another opportunity to push your superiority agenda.
I agree, Im on your side, you cant call it free anymore because its not totaly free, you still have to pay something. It does bother me that the tip is not included thats why I said they shouldnt do the "Free" dining promo. You can/will upset guests and servers, like you said upsetting 2 of 3 parties isnt kosher.

disneydudette

Ok when I booked this promotion... I knew I was getting the DDP for free... not just "free food." It seems that you're putting too much emphasis on the word "free." This promotion is to include the DDP (and whatever the aspects of that plan are) on your MYW package at no additional cost.

Lets say my MYW package includes the 2008 DDP at no addtional cost. Because of that, I don't feel obligated to book 7 TS knowing that we would have to pay 7 tips. So maybe I'll book 4 TS locations and plan on using mostly CS and Snack credits. Even if we're still hungry, since the DDP was included with my package, I don't feel guilty passing up a couple of TS meals and paying OPP for some CS meals. Even factoring in what we paid for tips, the overall savings would definately be worth it.

I do agree that the new changes will result in a lot of server's getting stiffed, but I don't think it will soley happen during a free dinning period. What I still don't understand is why they would expect me to pay a tip on a $40 bill, if overall I spent $38 that day, and had a portion of that go towards a CS meal and Snack?! What I'm trying to say... is that if a portion of my money when to a TS, CS, and Snack credit for that day... why would I pay a 15% tip on a $40 bill that I only paid at most $25 for? Does that make sense?

WDFAN1977

I am the type of person who likes every detail of my vacation laid out in advance. This is why DDP was good for my family and I. With flexibility and planning enough time in advance, we had little problem getting into the restaurants we wanted. Know that they are taking out tips and appertizers, it just doesn't seem as great of a deal.

DisneyJoe

Coming soon, to be released in April 2008 for travel dates of August/September "Almost Free Dining, you pay the Tip" or "Reduced Price Dining plan offer"

I can see many people booking a "Reduced Price Dining plan" offer.

BIG WINK and GRIN.

meatloafsfan

Or more reasonably -

During select dates in August and September, add the Magic Your Way Dining plan* to your Magic Your Way package** for no additional charge!

*gratuties not included.
**3 night minimum stay - 10 night maximum stay and ticket purchase required.

JimboJones123

Original Poster
Ok when I booked this promotion... I knew I was getting the DDP for free... not just "free food." It seems that you're putting too much emphasis on the word "free." This promotion is to include the DDP (and whatever the aspects of that plan are) on your MYW package at no additional cost.

Lets say my MYW package includes the 2008 DDP at no addtional cost. Because of that, I don't feel obligated to book 7 TS knowing that we would have to pay 7 tips. So maybe I'll book 4 TS locations and plan on using mostly CS and Snack credits. Even if we're still hungry, since the DDP was included with my package, I don't feel guilty passing up a couple of TS meals and paying OPP for some CS meals. Even factoring in what we paid for tips, the overall savings would definately be worth it.

I do agree that the new changes will result in a lot of server's getting stiffed, but I don't think it will soley happen during a free dinning period. What I still don't understand is why they would expect me to pay a tip on a $40 bill, if overall I spent $38 that day, and had a portion of that go towards a CS meal and Snack?! What I'm trying to say... is that if a portion of my money when to a TS, CS, and Snack credit for that day... why would I pay a 15% tip on a $40 bill that I only paid at most $25 for? Does that make sense?

That actually makes perfect sense. Then you are actually tipping about 25% or so on what you actually "paid". Huh. Another interesting item with these changes. Should you tip on the $26 that that you actually paid?

goldswas

I have just booked for Sept 08 and have the free DDP. I never expected the Gratuity to be included, but I have read that for groups of over 6 (used to be 8)18% will automatically be added to the bill. I would normally tip about 20%. When the gratuity is added to the bill, are you expected to give any more in tips. I understand that waiting staff in the US appear to earn a lot less than they do in the UK. I think the minimum wage here is about £5.35 ph about $8 or $9, so although most people do leave tips of about 15% its not such an important thing.

Every time I go to the US I get completely confused by the tipping procedure. I would be really grateful if somebody could clarify it for me. Some travel guides say 15% others say 20%. Some places add it to the bill and others don't. Help!!:veryconfu Sharon

JimboJones123

Original Poster
15% is concidered the bare minimum for acceptable service. 18% is the more the accepted standard now, especially in business settings. Great service can ben 20-25% if you are an exceptional tipper.

I use my own scale based more on guests served. We have kids, and a lot of times they don't get their own meals, so I tip by the guest. 4 of us at a place where they basically give you refills and move plates (buffets or counter order w/servers) $1 per person. At a standard fare sit down -- Chili's, Friday's, Don Pablos, ect, $2 per person. If at a fancier place, maybe a steak place or upper scale italian or something where meals are at least $15 each, $3 per person. At something grand, like a WDW sit down meal where the meal is $20 or more, $4 per person. This usually keeps the tips anywhere from 15-35%. But it is a tip based on the ammount of work they do. If we add dessert, it's another 50 cents from each of us.

So a $30 meal gets an $8 tip. A $50 meal would get a $12 tip. If the meal costs $80 or so at say the Melting Pot - $16 tip. If we get dessert there -- $20. Sometimes if I do order a steak at the Chilis and the bill does come to $50, usually I'll still only tip that $2 per person or $8. Yeah, it's a lower %, but how often does a table w/2 adults and 2 kids under 6 give you $8 as a Chili's waitperson? They would have done the EXACT same work for me if we would have split 2 burgers and had a check of $14.

Yes, I have worked as a server for several years, and I do find this to be a personally logical way to tip. It may not be what's generally done, but I do believe that the person is working for a desired ammount for a table for a time period. If I hold up a "4 top" I should tip what a "4 top" would tip. $2 per person at a standard fare sit down. It is very generous when a lunch crowd can be automatic gratuity and every person gives their 94 cents and calls it a day.

JimboJones123

Original Poster
Yes I am also shocked by this development. I hope they are making it very clear, for the server's sake, that next year they will have to pay their own gratuity and have the ap taken away, and lose 90%+ of snack selections. Things could get CRAZY next year if not.

Mickey'n'Minnie

Just wanted to add my two cents...i just got back DW and they changed the Dining Plan while we were there. Someone was saying a few pages back that they don't like making plans ahead of time or there not being any seats to eat after you thought you had a great deal? Well now you can switch your table service meals for a quick service...if you do this you get 2 snacks OR a lanyard with a pin. Now i'm not sure how great that trade off is but it worked well with us because we didn't make reservations ahead of time and we couldn't get in anywhere. We went last year and could walk into the table service restaurants but this year POP was running at 100% capacity and everywhere was packed.

Just thought i'd explain the new changes :)

We used the FREE dining plan one time two years ago Nov 2005. We booked our ADR's the 5 months or so in advance, as we always plan our itinerary anyway. We did not have any problems to speak of. The food was ok, and in many cases great...I guess it depends on where you go. this year we booked our vacation in Nov, and we paid for the dining plan extra.

I am thankful that the FREE dining will be over by Nov, maybe it wont be as crowded.

the only problem we ever experienced is that in some of the restaurants that have character dining, the meal is not as good as it could have been. I guess it's because Disney figures the emphasis isnt on eating its on interacting with the characters, especially if you have small children.

FREE dining can stay or go it doesnt matter to me as long as its over by our usual NOV vacation time.

;)

NewfieFan

Just wanted to add my two cents...i just got back DW and they changed the Dining Plan while we were there. Someone was saying a few pages back that they don't like making plans ahead of time or there not being any seats to eat after you thought you had a great deal? Well now you can switch your table service meals for a quick service...if you do this you get 2 snacks OR a lanyard with a pin. Now i'm not sure how great that trade off is but it worked well with us because we didn't make reservations ahead of time and we couldn't get in anywhere. We went last year and could walk into the table service restaurants but this year POP was running at 100% capacity and everywhere was packed.

Just thought i'd explain the new changes :)

That's interesting!

goldswas

15% is concidered the bare minimum for acceptable service. 18% is the more the accepted standard now, especially in business settings. Great service can ben 20-25% if you are an exceptional tipper.

I use my own scale based more on guests served. We have kids, and a lot of times they don't get their own meals, so I tip by the guest. 4 of us at a place where they basically give you refills and move plates (buffets or counter order w/servers) $1 per person. At a standard fare sit down -- Chili's, Friday's, Don Pablos, ect, $2 per person. If at a fancier place, maybe a steak place or upper scale italian or something where meals are at least $15 each, $3 per person. At something grand, like a WDW sit down meal where the meal is $20 or more, $4 per person. This usually keeps the tips anywhere from 15-35%. But it is a tip based on the ammount of work they do. If we add dessert, it's another 50 cents from each of us.

So a $30 meal gets an $8 tip. A $50 meal would get a $12 tip. If the meal costs $80 or so at say the Melting Pot - $16 tip. If we get dessert there -- $20. Sometimes if I do order a steak at the Chilis and the bill does come to $50, usually I'll still only tip that $2 per person or $8. Yeah, it's a lower %, but how often does a table w/2 adults and 2 kids under 6 give you $8 as a Chili's waitperson? They would have done the EXACT same work for me if we would have split 2 burgers and had a check of $14.

Yes, I have worked as a server for several years, and I do find this to be a personally logical way to tip. It may not be what's generally done, but I do believe that the person is working for a desired ammount for a table for a time period. If I hold up a "4 top" I should tip what a "4 top" would tip. $2 per person at a standard fare sit down. It is very generous when a lunch crowd can be automatic gratuity and every person gives their 94 cents and calls it a day.

Thanks for this it is really useful, so in general the 20% I have tipped in the past is o.k.. Incidentally, what is the Chillis? But as there are 6 of us and the 18% is going to be added to the bill at Disney restaurants, would I be expected to add anymore?

Sharon:slurp:

NewfieFan

Thanks for this it is really useful, so in general the 20% I have tipped in the past is o.k.. Incidentally, what is the Chillis? But as there are 6 of us and the 18% is going to be added to the bill at Disney restaurants, would I be expected to add anymore?

Sharon:slurp:

Ok, somebody correct me if I'm wrong on this one but the 18% that is automatically added for groups of 6 or more is over and above the price of the dining plan next year. Maybe you already knew this and I misread your early post as well. I just didn't want you to get to a restaurant and think that the 18% is included in the price and therefore is covered. I'm guessing the 18% is automatically added to the bill and you will be required to cover it! Am I right on this one?:veryconfu

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom