Dining Plan and Volume of Food

SMS55

Hi everyone. I have a question about the dining plans. I've been going to the parks since I was little and will be making another trip before the summer blackout for my seasonal pass. I've never done the meal plan before. I've eaten at a few places but always felt the prices were high, so we we ate off site many times to save some money. Our theory was that the money we save goes into next trip's bank. I have a question about the volume of food. Is it alot of food or is it certain things off the menu? I know that with the deluxe that includes one sit down, a quick meal and snack, you can choose places like Chef Mickey's which are all you can eat, but what about the a la carte restaurants? How much food is included? Appetizer, entre, desert and beverage? And also for quick service are we talking burgers, fries and a coke? Just asking because I am a big guy and I also have a 15 year old who is a bottomless pit. Want to know if it is worth it.

HM Spectre

For the deluxe plan lunch/dinner, a QS includes a non-alcoholic drink, entree and dessert. A table service lunch/dinner includes all that plus an appetizer. With the deluxe plan you get 3 meals/2 snacks per person/day.

It sounds like you're describing the basic instead. The basic gives you the QS/TS/snack per day and you can get the same stuff per meal as the deluxe minus the appetizer for dinner. The difference is that the quality is higher with the TS than the QS and you're able to eat breakfast/lunch/dinner via TS on the deluxe whereas you'd have to pay out of pocket for some meals and choose a counter service daily with the basic. QS for the most part is your typical burger/sandwich/small pizza with chips/drink/dessert that you order up front and bring to your table. TS is a sitdown restaurant. Signature restaurants count as 2 meals because the quality is (usually) higher than the average TS.

On my last trip we did the dining plan for the first time and I was stuffed just from the basic plan with a couple meals out of pocket and out of pocket appetizers from time to time. If you want to be full, just make sure you order something with a big enough portion size. Hope that helps! :wave:

Upvote 0

mrsdanalind

Hi everyone. I have a question about the dining plans. I've been going to the parks since I was little and will be making another trip before the summer blackout for my seasonal pass. I've never done the meal plan before. I've eaten at a few places but always felt the prices were high, so we we ate off site many times to save some money. Our theory was that the money we save goes into next trip's bank. I have a question about the volume of food. Is it alot of food or is it certain things off the menu? I know that with the deluxe that includes one sit down, a quick meal and snack, you can choose places like Chef Mickey's which are all you can eat, but what about the a la carte restaurants? How much food is included? Appetizer, entre, desert and beverage? And also for quick service are we talking burgers, fries and a coke? Just asking because I am a big guy and I also have a 15 year old who is a bottomless pit. Want to know if it is worth it.

We originally started off with the delux dining package, but quickly realized that three BIG meals a day ( sitdown, full service, with appitizer, entree drink,and desert) was just way to much food for us. My DH is a big guy but even he couldn't eat like that, and not go into a food coma! So we switched to the regular dining package with a sit down ( we usually do either a breakfast or a dinner) with a entree, drink, and desert, a quick serve, ( either breakfast or lunch ) and no they are not all burgers, fries and a soda pop. You can eat pretty much what ever your little heart desires, just by choosing the right menue and venue and a snack. We don't get food comas, and we eat lighter because of the heat.
Have fun.

Upvote 0

wilkeliza

We always get the basic dinning plan (1 TS, 1 QS, 1 Snack) and are pretty full off of it. We typically paid out of pocket for breakfast because for my group coffee and a pastry will kick start the metabolism and get us to lunch. I haven't even though about going up to the Deluxe Dinning plan. 3 TS a day and 2 snacks seems like a lot. I would hate to schedule all those TS and feel so confined to a certain schedule. With only 1 sitdown a night you are a little more free to roam and do what you want.

Upvote 0

docdebbi

if you are concerned about the bottomless pit, plan where you plan to eat your counter service meals accordingly. at all table service restaurants, the portions are satisfying for your "pit". however, counter service varies widely, think about a hot dog and fries at casey's corner, vs barbecued ribs, corn, beans, etc from flame tree barbecue. use the menus located on this site or allears and you can figure out where you should be eating. i can't imagine anyone who can't be satisfied by the regular dining plan. and as you pointed out, if you use your once daily table service for a buffer, you're good to go.

Upvote 0

SMS55

Original Poster
It sounds like you're describing the basic instead.

Yeah that's what I meant, my mistake. Another question. For breakfast, does a bagel count as a snack? I am not a breakfast person. A bagel and a little coffee and I'm good til lunch. Then is when I start hitting hard. Thanks.

Upvote 0

dsdmbU2

We always get the "regular" dining plan and it's always enough food for us. What the quick service includes varies on where you are eating. For instance, at Flame Tree it's assorted barbeque, at Pizzafari it's a good size personal pizza and a salad. Most, if not all, come with a chocolate mousse for dessert. I would say don't waste any meal (TS or QS) on breakfast unless it's a character meal (Donald's Safari, Cinderella's, etc.) as this is usually the least expensive meal. In addition, we've had some confusion (from workers) with what constitutes a "quick service" for breakfast in the past especially if you're trying to piece together a meal. For instance, at Boardwalk Bakery a "quick service" is like a muffin and 2 drinks or something weird like that. We just pay out of pocket for those type of places. Yes, I think a bagel would probably be considered a "snack". The lunch menus (or display boards) at most places do a good job of defining what a "quick service" meal is. When in doubt ask!! Other than the few aforementioned times castmembers couldn't be more helpful!!

Upvote 0

CaptainJackNO

We have had the basic dining plan for our last three trips. For our next trip in April, we will not utilize it. We decided that the amount of food was way too much. The fact that you MUST choose a dessert for each meal is problematic. Also, you have to include the tip, which is, roughly 15-20 dollars per meal. So, for us, it would have cost us about 837 dollars for our seven day trip for the dining plan. Then, add the extra 120 bucks for tips, and the additional, say, 100 dollars for breakfast, which is not covered, and we would have paid in excess of 1000 dollars for food for 7 days. We find that is too much money AND food.

While we enjoyed the freedom of choosing any restaurant we wanted to try, we would rather not drop 1000 dollars on food during the week, after we have dropped over 2000 on the trip.

We decided we did not want to have a table meal every day, mainly due to the amount of food and, we really find that having too many ADRs hampers your freedom in the parks. Many times on past trips we have been walking by a crowded attraction that just happened to have a short wait at that moment, but would have lost ADRs so we passed it up. Made us feel our entire trips centered on restaurants and not on the parks. Thus, we will opt out of the dining plan this trip. We have pulled up all of the menus of places we plan on eating and believe we will save about 400 dollars on food by not getting the dining plan. Now, we will not have a table service every day; however, we will enjoy 5 table service dinners in a seven day trip, including Ohana, 1900 Park Fare, Chef Mickey, Rainforest Cafe, and 50's Prime Time Cafe.

If you want to experience many restaurants, then, yes you will save alot of money. However, if you enjoy freedom to ride and do not need to eat a table service every day, you will work out cheaper minus the dining plan. Especially if you are like my family and NEVER order dessert in restaurants. Have Fun!:wave:

Upvote 0

DisneyWall-E

I am 6'3" and 295lbs. I'm a big guy and I can eat a lot. The regular dinning plan(1TS, 1QS, 1SNACK) has always been more food than I can eat, and I've been going for free dinning in Sept for the past 6 years.

Upvote 0
I think the basic dining plan will be enough to satisfy you. Like someone else mentioned, just really do the research with the menus for your counter service meals...you can find quarter chicken dinners with sides at Flame Tree, Cosmic Rays...double cheeseburger meals everywhere...etc. You can use one table service at several buffet/character meals/all you can eat...like Boma for breakfast or dinner, Crystal Palace or Donalds Safari Breakfast, to name a few.
I find the plans to be too much food and never eat it all. You can also maximize your snack credits. For instance, you can use it for bottle of Coke or you can use it for an ice cream cookie sandwich the size of your head at the Main Street bakery, or a bag of Chip and Dale pretzels...the snack credits can get you a lot of mileage if you use them wisely. Pay for the coke out of pocket and use the credits for the larger snacks...

I really think that you'll be fine.

Upvote 0

SMS55

Original Poster
I think the basic dining plan will be enough to satisfy you. Like someone else mentioned, just really do the research with the menus for your counter service meals...

I can see some on Disney's site. Is there somewhere else I can see more of them. That chicken and rib combo at Cosmis Rays sounds really good.

Upvote 0

Rob562

Yeah that's what I meant, my mistake. Another question. For breakfast, does a bagel count as a snack? I am not a breakfast person. A bagel and a little coffee and I'm good til lunch. Then is when I start hitting hard. Thanks.

Yes, a bagel counts as a Snack. You can also get a bowl of cereal w milk, a danish, a croissant, etc. (When you're at the food location, look on the menu boards and display cases for the little purple and white DDP logo indicating you can use a Snack credit)
And as the plans apparently now all come with the refillable mug, you'll have that for your coffee.

I'm also usually a bagel-for-breakfast person, though on vacation I'll often splurge a bit. But if I'm feeling like something between a bagel and a full breakfast, I'll just buy a kid's platter of waffles or pancakes and pay for it out-of-pocket.

-Rob

Upvote 0

mjmyers10

If you have an annual pass, you might want to look into getting the tables of wonderland card. For $75, you can save 20% off your meals. It will probably save you more than the dining plan.

Upvote 0

slappy magoo

Here is a link for menu's
http://allears.net/menu/menus.htm

Enjoy:)

Yeah, no offense to wdwmagic, but that's the link I always use to check out menus. And there are soooo many counter service options beyond burgers or individual pizzas. for adults anyway. I do find their menus for kids rather limiting and often wish they'd just make smaller portions of some of their adult meals...

Our next trip, we're going back and forth between either buying the Tables in Wonderland membership (a 20% discount on pretty much all table service meals and a smattering of counter service meals for Florida residents, annual passholders and [like us] DVC members), or the Deluxe Dining Plan. usually we wouldn't go Deluxe, but we're going for the first time with our two daughters, one of them is going on 4, and the other is still an infant. We figure we'll be extremely limited with the amount of time we can actually be in the parks before it'll be nap time or too hot for standing in the sun. So making more table reservations - especially character meals - seemed like a good use of time.

We booked more breakfasts than we usually do, and at least one meal every day is a character meal, except for the day we're going to Hollywood Studios, where we booked an early lunch at Sci-Fi and an early-ish dinner at 50s Primetime, and I'm figuring those will be pretty fun for our oldest without a MiS (Man in Suit) being there. Because of the cost of the buffets, it seems like the Deluxe Dining Plan will be our best value for our current plans, even better than the Tables in Wonderland option. But if we change our plans, cancel some reservations, we may rethink things. But once both kids are able to move around on their own, we'll probably never do Deluxe again. Like I said, it's mainly to ensure we can still have good time without exhausting the 3 year old (or her mom, haha), without then spending most of our park time waiting on line to see characters.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom