Dining Advice

mprice

Original Poster
Hi, I'll be traveling to WDW in August. I've booked all of our dining reservations, since we will be on the dining plan. I've booked Cinderella's Royal Table for us for tha last night, I thought it might be nice to eat there the last night and to stick around for the Wishes, however it concerns me that this might be a little to "kiddie" for 3 college guys, granted 3 college guys that love Disney, but don't really know about the whole princess thing, I don't remember the restaraunt being this centered on characters as it sounds now. Just wondering if I should stick with this plan or go with something else? Keep in mind that we want to stay close to the MK. We are also already booked for Whispering Canyon and the Spirit of Aloha, and we have 2 table service meal points left...so fire away. California Grill?? Citricos??

k.hunter30

Hi, I'll be traveling to WDW in August. I've booked all of our dining reservations, since we will be on the dining plan. I've booked Cinderella's Royal Table for us for tha last night, I thought it might be nice to eat there the last night and to stick around for the Wishes, however it concerns me that this might be a little to "kiddie" for 3 college guys, granted 3 college guys that love Disney, but don't really know about the whole princess thing, I don't remember the restaraunt being this centered on characters as it sounds now. Just wondering if I should stick with this plan or go with something else? Keep in mind that we want to stay close to the MK. We are also already booked for Whispering Canyon and the Spirit of Aloha, and we have 2 table service meal points left...so fire away. California Grill?? Citricos??
I think 3 guys would enjoy Cali Grill more. Watch Wishes from there. The food at CRT really isn't that great - so the main reason to go would be for the characters and the ambiance - though you don't get to see all the princesses at dinner anyways. I think you guys would enjoy something else more, to be honest.

EDIT: Oh! And hi fellow Nashvillian!

coltow

I haven't been there since they changed the dinner to characters, sort of my own personal boycot. I would assume that it would be ok for you, for the reason you chose to go there in the first place. I don't think it will be too "kiddie" for you.

mprice

Original Poster
Thanks all. I just changed our reservations to California Grill after reading the rave reviews it got on this site compared to the Cinderella deal... sure eating in the castle is great, but I hate uncomfortable "character moments" especially with 3 20 yaeer old guys, I'm sure this is the better route!

daverube

Good call on the change. The Cali Grill is the BEST meal my wife and I have ever had at the World...

We used the dining plan and they substituted a full cheese board (5 cheeses with pairings - $16) for one of our desserts....we didn't know that they would, we just ordered the cheese along with our other apps and entrees....not that we eat tons, it was our first nice "alone meal" post-wedding....

And, btw, you don't have to venture outside during the fireworks to see the show....we sat at a table in the middle-rear of the seating area and had a great view....the restaurant also pipes in the music from wishes during the show...in other words, when folks are scarfing down their meals to see the show, relax and enjoy your dinner.....I could tell you a great story about a dude I witnessed at the Cali Grill who ate his whole meal under 20 minutes (nagging the server the whole time to be faster) and berated his wife until she was about to cry just so he could go outside and watch the fireworks, but why waste life on losers???

my 2 cents....

dave

ThinkTink721

If you love WDW, you'll probably love eating at the castle at any age!:king:
The only other dinners at the MK that I can think of are character dinners (The Crystal Palace & Liberty Tree Tavern).
Oh, Tony's Toontown Square has a non-character dinner.
Chef Mickey's at the Contemporary resort is close, but it is also a character dinner.
The same goes for 1900 Park Fare at the GF resort.
I have heard good things about the California Grill.
Cape May Cafe' at the Beach Club resort has a seafood buffet for dinner w/ no characters.
I have heard that Boma at the AKL is great - but, it is a little far from the MK.
I can't think of any others right now.
Hope this helps!
:wave:

disneydudette

Glad you were able to change your reservation!

We personally didn't like the menu at Cali Grill (was a little "above" our tastes)... but compared to a night in the castles with 3-9yo girls... I think Cali Grill wins ;)

I would almost say opt for the HDR as an option too... I preferred it over the Luau and who could beat good old fashioned BBQ? The show is very amusing at times and your still close to the MK to catch the fireworks in time...

If the fireworks are a big deal... and the reason your at Cali Grill, make sure your reservation time is around an hour before the fireworks start... just to be safe! I would still try and watch them in the park though... it's an amazing feeling while in the MK!

Most importantly... have fun!

mprice

Original Poster
Sorry, this poses another question... our reservation is for 5:40 and I've heard some folks say that it takes a while, which would be perfectly fine but I kinda want to watch the fireworks from inside the actual park... no big deal? Well you don't know me...ha. Anyway, however fine a "3 hour" dining experience would be, and we would still get to go over for the fireworks with about an hour left... I would really like to get into a few more last minute attractions. I'm pretty set on California Grill, it's been my only reservation change so far, and we will be hitting the EMHs the night before at MK so missing a few last minute attractions won't hurt too much... but does it necessarily take "3 hours?" 'cause I will in no way rush the experience.

mprice

Original Poster
Also, I know I'm polling alot, but between The San Angel Inn and another EPCOT Restaraunt... which one?... The tables for Le Cellier were all booked up, looking for a unique dining experience for two of my friends who are both first-timers, just thought the Mexico deal would be pretty cool. Any reviews?

jbulkley78

san angel inn

San Angel Inn is one of the most unique places to eat in all of WDW. The food was fantastic the last time I was there (July 06) and even if the food was average, the atmosphere is worth it. You absolutely feel like you're dining in a small mexican village. We don't go to WDW without eating there.

DisneyBride94

Depends on the guys...you should ask their opinion on the matter I guess... I dunno...they might completely dig on the princess babes. :D

In my college days I can tell you I'd have greatly preferrred eating some place down at Pleasure Island!!!! I think Cindy's Royald Table is over-rated... if you aren't there for the characters and the whole castle deal... it's really not worth eating there... Just my opinion....

DisneyBride94

San Angel Inn is one of the most unique places to eat in all of WDW. The food was fantastic the last time I was there (July 06) and even if the food was average, the atmosphere is worth it. You absolutely feel like you're dining in a small mexican village. We don't go to WDW without eating there.

Definitely among my top 3 favorite restaurants at Disney World... :sohappy:

wdwmomof3

Also, I know I'm polling alot, but between The San Angel Inn and another EPCOT Restaraunt... which one?... The tables for Le Cellier were all booked up, looking for a unique dining experience for two of my friends who are both first-timers, just thought the Mexico deal would be pretty cool. Any reviews?

Le Cellier would be my first choice because I have never been there and from what I have heard it is great. You could keep trying to get it as someone may cancel.

I must say that we have been to San Angel Inn three times and I think had one decent meal. We love Mexican food so we kept going back but not anymore. I'm done! We were there in Oct and the staff was so rude and the food, well... Taco Bell is better. I'm not kidding. Sure the place is cool but just going inside where San Angel is located is just as nice. There is a ride in there too that you can do that you may enjoy but I would save your money and try to eat somewhere else.

We liked the Coral Reef. The food was good and the staff did a great job too. The atmosphere in there is fun too. You may even catch Mickey scuba diving in the tank. To me, that is a lot more fun than San Angel.

Some of our favorites are:
Chef Mickeys ( dinner )
50's Prime Time Cafe
Coral Reef
Whispering Canyon Cafe
1900 Park Fare (dinner)

I hope that you have a great trip! We have over a year to go.:cry:

daverube

If you'd like a pint or two, the menu at the Rose and Crown is always great...the cheese board is good (not as good as the Cali Grill pairings, but still good), and if you are lucky enough, you can get a table in plain view of Illuminations......

We used to like Chefs de France, but the menu changed last summer and it wasn't as good when we went in November '07.....Alfredo's is closing soon and was NOT very good 2 years ago (ironically, Chefs de France was fantastic in August '06).....

As for your 3 hour question....we slowed dinner WAY down and were still done in just under 2 hours....

my 2 cents...

dave

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom