News Digital Key coming soon to Walt Disney World Resort hotels

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
I can appreciate the effort, but personally I think it's silly. I'll stick with using a MagicBand. It's less cumbersome than pulling out your phone, opening the MDE app, finding and tapping 'Unlock Door', and then holding your phone against the door lock.

Now, if they were ever take away the MagicBand option (Which I believe is highly, highly unlikely), we're gonna have words...

MikeyK72

I can appreciate the effort, but personally I think it's silly. I'll stick with using a MagicBand. It's less cumbersome than pulling out your phone, opening the MDE app, finding and tapping 'Unlock Door', and then holding your phone against the door lock.

Now, if they were ever take away the MagicBand option (Which I believe is highly, highly unlikely), we're gonna have words...

I agree using the phone will not be as convenient as the MagicBand but once this comes to Apple Watch (assuming it will) the experience would be comparable.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
I agree using the phone will not be as convenient as the MagicBand but once this comes to Apple Watch (assuming it will) the experience would be comparable.

And when the phone/apple watch has all the same capabilities as the magic band (park entrance, FP's, etc).

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
There has to be a low-tech way to unlock a hotel room door, or at least lowER-tech way. They can't be foolish enough to think that everyone will have and want to use a smartphone to unlock the door of their room.

Sometimes companies take technology a step too far. This, IMHO, is one of them. Phone's dead at the end of the day. Where do you charge your phone? Oh, I'm sure Disney would be happy to rent you a battery pack and charging cable for a nominal fee. For whatever reason, it simply doesn't work. What then? Back to the front desk... get the problem fixed (hopefully)... back to the room... hope it's actually fixed. You simply cannot assume that everyone is going to have a smart phone, or know how to use it in a situation like this. MagicBands are fine, they should stick with them. (Oh, they cost, what a few dollars per MB? So what? They can't spend $8 billion on stock buybacks this year, but only $7.99 billion? Boo hoo.)

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
There has to be a low-tech way to unlock a hotel room door, or at least lowER-tech way. They can't be foolish enough to think that everyone will have and want to use a smartphone to unlock the door of their room.

Sometimes companies take technology a step too far. This, IMHO, is one of them. Phone's dead at the end of the day. Where do you charge your phone? Oh, I'm sure Disney would be happy to rent you a battery pack and charging cable for a nominal fee. For whatever reason, it simply doesn't work. What then? Back to the front desk... get the problem fixed (hopefully)... back to the room... hope it's actually fixed. You simply cannot assume that everyone is going to have a smart phone, or know how to use it in a situation like this. MagicBands are fine, they should stick with them. (Oh, they cost, what a few dollars per MB? So what? They can't spend $8 billion on stock buybacks this year, but only $7.99 billion? Boo hoo.)

What if I lose my MB? What if I lose my hard key? There are a ton of things that can prevent me from getting into my room. They are being forward thinking, keeping up with industry changes, and making this as an option. Once they can provide me with the same capabilities on my phone as with a MB, I will surely ditch the MB. Until that happens, I will stick with the MB.

Biff215

I don’t think MB are going anywhere. This is simply an alternative, especially if you happen to leave your band in the room. They also seem to have more problems with the door locks than any other MB features, so it can save guests some frustration in accessing their room, especially in large, spread out resorts where the front desk is a hike away.

We had to have our bands reprogrammed twice during our 10 day trip this month. Only the room door was an issue fortunately, and this addressed that issue temporarily.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member

I agree...

I don’t see any net advantage to this unless they phase out the bands - which they’d probably do if it involves reducing a line item cost...

Until then...it’s kinda pointless. Cell phone drain is already a headache...I don’t really need to have Disney use what I overpay for already anymore.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
What if I lose my MB? What if I lose my hard key? There are a ton of things that can prevent me from getting into my room. They are being forward thinking, keeping up with industry changes, and making this as an option. Once they can provide me with the same capabilities on my phone as with a MB, I will surely ditch the MB. Until that happens, I will stick with the MB.

What if you lose your cellphone, room key, birth certificate, retina scan, and magic band???

...this just is a thing with little tangible appeal. No problem with them doing it...but doesn’t change anything.

Here’s what would: proximity detection by the locks for bands/phones...as in the door released if you’re in range. That’s a change...this really isn’t.

geekza

What if you lose your cellphone, room key, birth certificate, retina scan, and magic band???

...this just is a thing with little tangible appeal. No problem with them doing it...but doesn’t change anything.

Here’s what would: proximity detection by the locks for bands/phones...as in the door released if you’re in range. That’s a change...this really isn’t.
Except that you may be walking past your door to go get a soda or something or go to the pool. The RFID tags can transmit pretty far since they're used for ride photos, but making it necessary to tap it on the lock prevents accidental unlocking.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Except that you may be walking past your door to go get a soda or something or go to the pool. The RFID tags can transmit pretty far since they're used for ride photos, but making it necessary to tap it on the lock prevents accidental unlocking.

I wasn’t suggesting they can do it...just saying it would be a real change.

I honestly don’t care if my door lock clicks on or off anyway...who’s going on? This is a kingdom of the “haves”

Besides...thieves can’t afford a $35 fee for their getaway car 😛

Last edited:

beachlover4444

Having Digital keys at major brands like Marriott & Hilton it is more and more becoming the norm but I will say having worked at these brands there are alot of drawbacks. You have no idea how many people they are cramming into those rooms, sneaking in pets, underage parties, etc. People are a bit more honest when they check in face to face with a person and you know your guest. You can resolve issues at checkin such as location, room types, tickets etc. I know Disney is really downsizing their front desk work force or they certainly seem to be but that first impression at checkin is invaluable to the beginning of a good experience for the guest.

beachlover4444

Again, this just seems pointless. There was a rumor about 8 months ago that indicated they where going to have a greeting in your hotel room where the lights and TV would turn on and welcome you, much rather have that than this.

Also, IMHO opening your hotel door with your magic band feels magical and is a fun and cute way for them to intergrade tech in hotels, this just takes the fun out of it.
they already leave the tv and lights on at checkin, we thought someone was in our room already when we entered

Tom P.

I’ve been using the feature on MDE all week and it is buggy and unreliable at best. Most of it is attributable to the fact the app is terrible. Especially in areas of the hotel with spotty WiFi because the phone always wants to associate with the hotel network.
This is kinda what I am expecting as well.

For all the things I love about Disney, they are not noted for their reliable technology. I can see all kinds of potential problems cropping up with this new technology.

It is a nice supplement to the MagicBand to have, but I don't think I'd want to rely on it as my primary room key.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom