News Digital Key coming soon to Walt Disney World Resort hotels

Delgado

So how would that work at the FastPass entry? I have to take out my phone, unlock it, select who is using the FastPass, then tap it? Also ripe for abuse. The cast member will have to look at a screen to see how many FastPasses I'm using with my phone and if it matches the # of people in my party. That seems a lot more friction than simply tapping a magic band for each person and having the light turn green....
You don’t have to necessarily use the phone to use the fastpass and give them information. Your account is linked to the app in your cellphone and when you walk up and scan your band, that information is linked to the app. They could see how long your wait in the fp line is without using your band and just using the your cellphone if it is on you with the app running. MDE has your location on it for the maps in the park.

BUT if they went strictly to no magic bands nd it’s cell phones I’m sure they could come up with a barcode that scans for each individual person in your party

rhino4evr

So how would that work at the FastPass entry? I have to take out my phone, unlock it, select who is using the FastPass, then tap it? Also ripe for abuse. The cast member will have to look at a screen to see how many FastPasses I'm using with my phone and if it matches the # of people in my party. That seems a lot more friction than simply tapping a magic band for each person and having the light turn green....

That is correct sir, the magic band IS more convenient, that will be $14.99...plus shipping.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
BUT if they went strictly to no magic bands nd it’s cell phones I’m sure they could come up with a barcode that scans for each individual person in your party

That is basically how MaxPass works at DL.

One step at a time though for them it seems. First solve the room lock piece...then they can expand on that.

_caleb

I will be surprised because the magic bands give them extremely valuable data. If they charge for it, not everyone will use it and the data will be less valuable to Disney.
Apps installed on phones can provide Disney with even more data than Magic Bands- number of steps taken, other apps used, and location in the parks (using GPS in addition to Bluetooth).

It also allows for two-way communication with guests. I could see them sending targeted messages/offers to guests in order to balance out crowds and get them into shops.

mikejs78

Premium Member
Apps installed on phones can provide Disney with even more data than Magic Bands- number of steps taken, other apps used, and location in the parks (using GPS in addition to Bluetooth).

It also allows for two-way communication with guests. I could see them sending targeted messages/offers to guests in order to balance out crowds and get them into shops.

Phones can provide a lot of data, but its different data than a magic band has, and not everyone in a party necessarily has a phone. The RFID tech in the magic band won't drain batteries like Bluetooth, and is not subject to GPS signal issues that can happen in structures like Disney has in it's parks. If Disney is smart, they would keep the magic band going and add more to the phone and combine the data from both sources.

NormC

The digital key on the phone is really more secure than a magic band or key card.
How so? The digital door key on your phone is a Bluetooth broadcast. Easily intercepted. The unlock key on your band is a passive RFID, just like the old plastic ticket key cards, that must be close proximity to the sensor. The Bluetooth LE transmitter in the band is not currently used for door locks.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
How so? The digital door key on your phone is a Bluetooth broadcast. Easily intercepted. The unlock key on your band is a passive RFID, just like the old plastic ticket key cards, that must be close proximity to the sensor. The Bluetooth LE transmitter in the band is not currently used for door locks.

If they do it right, work with security leaders in the industry, and properly encrypt the digital key, it should be fine. They are not pioneers here so there should be plenty available to them ensuring this is as secure as possible. I am sure there will be some type of unique security certificate that allows the digital key to only be used by a specific Disney account or even specific device.

There will always be risks..just like if you were to lose a MB and key card and someone picks it up. With proper mechanisms in place, you can limit the risk.

Raineman

Can some of you not read? @wdwmagic already stated that you can still use your magic band. Seriously, this forum is turning into nothing but a sounding board for people that sound like whiny 4 year olds that don't get what they want. Is it crappy that the cost of a WDW vacation is constantly rising? Sure. Is constantly whining and complaining about it on here going to (a) change anything or (b) make you feel better in the long run? No, and no. Stop going to WDW, stop feeding your own negativity by posting on here, and find some other fun activities/vacation destinations that will not make you miserable. Some of us on here recognize the issues, still want to continue visiting WDW, and can carry on discussions here without sounding like entitled brats.

DznyGrlSD

In the Parks
Yes
Not that a big time player like Disney would steal data from guests........:cautious:

..it's not stealing when you agree to the terms/conditions of app usage
reece.jpg

UncleMike101

..it's not stealing when you agree to the terms/conditions of app usage
View attachment 275857
And if you don't agree to the onerous terms you can do without the app.
I've rejected many apps because they demand access to files in my phone or tablet that I don't want them to have.
Far too many people willingly give up privacy to have a small bit of convenience as witnessed by the recent Facebook revelations concerning privacy.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Can some of you not read? @wdwmagic already stated that you can still use your magic band. Seriously, this forum is turning into nothing but a sounding board for people that sound like whiny 4 year olds that don't get what they want. Is it crappy that the cost of a WDW vacation is constantly rising? Sure. Is constantly whining and complaining about it on here going to (a) change anything or (b) make you feel better in the long run? No, and no. Stop going to WDW, stop feeding your own negativity by posting on here, and find some other fun activities/vacation destinations that will not make you miserable. Some of us on here recognize the issues, still want to continue visiting WDW, and can carry on discussions here without sounding like entitled brats.

Just what was wrong with the RFID CARDS?, They were cheap reliable and did not require a few visits to the orthopod or chiropractor after a WDW visit to unkink your body from the contortions needed to use the MB at WDW.

Towards the end I simply put my MB on a lanyard and it was MUCH easier to use!

MikeyK72

If they could port everything the magic band does to the Apple Watch, sign me up. Magic Band stays on my belt as I prefer to wear my watch.

I agree. Replicating Magic Band functionality on the Apple Watch would be convenient for some of us as we're already wearing the Apple Watch all day. Not in any way suggesting they take away Magic Bands. Just saying that I'd appreciate the option to not need/wear one.

jakeman

I agree. Replicating Magic Band functionality on the Apple Watch would be convenient for some of us as we're already wearing the Apple Watch all day. Not in any way suggesting they take away Magic Bands. Just saying that I'd appreciate the option to not need/wear one.
Heck no! Make everyone who comes to Disney buy an Apple Watch! Even the infants!

Damn the torpedoes! ;)

note2001

Okay, what did I miss? I'm reading folk discussing the pros and cons of using a phone in place of a MB. A few projections in there, but mostly technical discussions. What are you reading?

NormC

Just what was wrong with the RFID CARDS?, They were cheap reliable and did not require a few visits to the orthopod or chiropractor after a WDW visit to unkink your body from the contortions needed to use the MB at WDW.

Towards the end I simply put my MB on a lanyard and it was MUCH easier to use!
No contortions needed. Where do you wear your band? It is just an RFID card in a different form factor.

NormC

Clearly someone woke up on the wrong side of the bed today.

note2001

Clearly someone woke up on the wrong side of the bed today.
I think we can fix that with a phone app. Have it detect that he's headed the wrong way and redirect him to the right side of the bed with a digital coupon flashing on the screen for a 10 minute free hot water shower should he collect it in the next 60 seconds.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
If they do it right, work with security leaders in the industry, and properly encrypt the digital key, it should be fine. They are not pioneers here so there should be plenty available to them ensuring this is as secure as possible. I am sure there will be some type of unique security certificate that allows the digital key to only be used by a specific Disney account or even specific device.

There will always be risks..just like if you were to lose a MB and key card and someone picks it up. With proper mechanisms in place, you can limit the risk.

The auto industry thought their proximity key was secure, as well. If there a way to profit from hacking something, it'll be hacked.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom