News Digital Key coming soon to Walt Disney World Resort hotels

note2001

Holding the MB up to the gate scanner to let me drive in is already awkward enough as it can take several tries, but at least I'm not worrying about dropping and smashing my phone as I finagle with it. Think I'll stick with the wristband for now.

I'd also like to know a whole lot more about how my phone will be used before I allow it to send signals out to Disney receivers. Call me a skeptical developer. There's just too much that can be done behind our backs when we allow apps to run on our devices. Choose wisely.

Walt d

If only the door hardware wouldn't have issues with people with multiple Magicbands on their account. I had to deactivate most of my older ones to finally get the doors to work reliably.
So they want me to take my, iphone to the pool were it can go in the water, and never work” or i have to set it down and get stolen “ you better have a new phone ready for me Bob igor another stupid idea I’m not using my phone to make everything easier for you just give me a key this isn’t george jetson s life time. Im Square just give me the key .

mikejs78

Premium Member
Disney clearly doesn't want to keep producing Magic Bands and since most people have NFC phones, I'm sure very soon we'll see park tickets/FPs as well as room keys added to the app, which is totally fine by me since we all carry phones along with our Magic Bands anyway.
How will that work for young kids who don't be have phones?

trainplane3

Holding the MB up to the gate scanner to let me drive in is already awkward enough as it can take several tries, but at least I'm not worrying about dropping and smashing my phone as I finagle with it. Think I'll stick with the wristband for now.

I'd also like to know a whole lot more about how my phone will be used before I allow it to send signals out to Disney receivers. Call me a skeptical developer. There's just too much that can be done behind our backs when we allow apps to run on our devices. Choose wisely.
Now if I had to guess:
- You install MDE
- You link it to your Disney account that you just made your reservations with
- When it's time, you get assigned a room
- The lock of said room is assigned to your account
- When you want to unlock your room, you'll just tell the app to unlock your room which will then talk to the lock on your room
So there's nothing that special there. You lose access to your account, you're out of luck until you regain access.

Now for the part that involves using your phone when pressing up to the lock. It's either going to be bluetooth or NFC. I feel like NFC would probably be best since it's only for close range (Near Field Communication, 1ft or less) and requires next to no power at all.

All in all, I doubt Disney would ever breakdown the technical side of things as nice as that would be.

tirian

Had the same thought, though you don't have to be as much of a contortionist to hold your phone to the touch point as you do your wrist.
If you snap the band with Mickey’s head facing outward instead of inward, you can roll the band onto the various readers without bending your arm.

However, Mickey will always face away from you, and you still can’t tap the band. ;)

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
Ok, not sure about this but does it say the location of your hotel room on the app because what if you lose your phone and someone else finds it they could use your own phone to unlock your door while you’re away? They wouldn’t be able to do that if they found your magic band.
We’ve stayed at a Disney resort while using our magic bands and I don’t honestly remember if it said our hotel information on the MDE app.

That's why you password protect your phone.

Kman101

So I am confused, you do NOT think it sucks, just to clarify

I've never used it, so I have no idea if it sucks. Have you used this type of system yet? Genuinely asking.

I like the idea, personally. It's not for everyone of course. I think it's a handy feature to have. But I understand why someone may not like it. But maybe if you, or anyone else, hasn't used it, maybe, you know, it doesn't suck? Not liking it's fine, but it's a little hard to say it sucks if you haven't used it (or that it doesn't).

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
I thought it was pretty cool. Someone will need to report on it, once implemented, including pictures.

Biff215

Count me as confused. It’s perfectly fine tech for hotels wanting to eliminate key cards, but Disney has already done that. It won’t eliminate the need for MB’s (at least not yet), so for now it’s just another option. That’s fine, I’d just rather them focus on improvements elsewhere that actually plus the experience.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
Count me as confused. It’s perfectly fine tech for hotels wanting to eliminate key cards, but Disney has already done that. It won’t eliminate the need for MB’s (at least not yet), so for now it’s just another option. That’s fine, I’d just rather them focus on improvements elsewhere that actually plus the experience.

I bet there will soon be an option to use your phone completely in place of the band. Including fast passes, etc.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
So they want me to take my, iphone to the pool were it can go in the water, and never work” or i have to set it down and get stolen “ you better have a new phone ready for me Bob igor another stupid idea I’m not using my phone to make everything easier for you just give me a key this isn’t george jetson s life time. Im Square just give me the key .

Then use the key. It’s just an option.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?

Good thing about the phone is you don’t need to put it right up the the reader and have perfect contact. A few feet away will be just fine.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom