News Digital Key coming soon to Walt Disney World Resort hotels

bhg469

Hilton rolled this out a while back and it works really well. You don't even need to hold the phone near the door, just have to stand near it. Definitely a step above the magic band.

AndyS2992

Disney clearly doesn't want to keep producing Magic Bands and since most people have NFC phones, I'm sure very soon we'll see park tickets/FPs as well as room keys added to the app, which is totally fine by me since we all carry phones along with our Magic Bands anyway.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
I wonder how long it will be before you can redeem your FP with your phone?

Likely the next step in the process, along with theme park tickets. Now, I'm not sayin', I'm just sayin'...

"Ok, who has their phone handy to open the door?"

"Not me, mine's dead" "Mine, too" "Dead phone here"

"Why are all our phones dead?!?!?! Oh... we had to use them all day for FastPasses, to look up the park maps, looking up show times, mobile ordering, mobile payments, and getting into the parks..."

AndyS2992

Again, this just seems pointless. There was a rumor about 8 months ago that indicated they where going to have a greeting in your hotel room where the lights and TV would turn on and welcome you, much rather have that than this.

Also, IMHO opening your hotel door with your magic band feels magical and is a fun and cute way for them to intergrade tech in hotels, this just takes the fun out of it.
Disneyland Paris has this, it was annoying having to turn most of the lights back off straight away and the name on TV was incorrect the entire time we were there. :rolleyes:

Captain Barbossa

Likely the next step in the process, along with theme park tickets. Now, I'm not sayin', I'm just sayin'...

"Ok, who has their phone handy to open the door?"

"Not me, mine's dead" "Mine, too" "Dead phone here"

"Why are all our phones dead?!?!?! Oh... we had to use them all day for FastPasses, to look up the park maps, looking up show times, mobile ordering, mobile payments, and getting into the parks..."
Exactly! Thats why I would rather use my Magic Band. I don't want to use any more battery power than I already have to.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
Disneyland Paris has this, it was annoying having to turn most of the lights back off straight away and the name on TV was incorrect the entire time we were there. :rolleyes:
Well, with Disney's sterling reputation for IT backends... I can just imagine how it will play in Florida.

Why would any company pay so much money just to tick off their guests?

Clamman73

- Puts phone in front pocket
- Pelvic thrusts to unlock door
I like this.
This is neat but I don't think I'll be using this at all.
When I come back from grabbing a coffee and a danish and muffin from the food court in the morning, I'm lucky not to drop the danish while contorting my wrist to unlock the door....a pelvic thrust might avert this. :)

trainplane3

When I come back from grabbing a coffee and a danish and muffin from the food court in the morning, I'm lucky not to drop the danish while contorting my wrist to unlock the door....a pelvic thrust might avert this. :)
When Disney was doing the card based "Magicband" system, I had my wallet in either a front or back pocket. And honestly, just being able to push the front or back of yourself up against the door was extremely useful. I can't say I'll use the phone based system though.

Of course, I had waaaaayy too much fun it. But I never did my "stunts" in front of kids.

DisneyDebRob

Does anyone remember the days of..” When you come into our parks,put the phone down.. look around you.. don’t miss the story and the beauty around you”. Ahhh the memories of those days. I know, I know.. we are moving forward. I guess we are but I don’t have to like it. I also know this is about getting into your room but I just had to get this off my chest. Thanks for reading my rambling.

KrazyKat

Ok, not sure about this but does it say the location of your hotel room on the app because what if you lose your phone and someone else finds it they could use your own phone to unlock your door while you’re away? They wouldn’t be able to do that if they found your magic band.
We’ve stayed at a Disney resort while using our magic bands and I don’t honestly remember if it said our hotel information on the MDE app.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom