Did Disney put too much stock into Star Wars?

Wendy Pleakley

You discounted your own excuse...I mean...”explanation”

People have to plan for Travel farther out - generally speaking - than would have allowed to adjust for one ride not opening. They wouldn’t have known.

I’m not declaring it a success or a failure...because it cannot be done. Disneyland is not a flop and wdw will not be a smash when the fools descend...

But...but...where are the the Star Wars loyalists that have and assumed would have spent any amount of money to fulfill their dreams right up front?

It’s worse than the land...it’s the IP that has softened.
No way you shouldn’t be able to get people in there. People waiting weeks for phantom menace. Just hard to really encompass the left turn.

I really don't get what you're trying to say here. My point is that people may be just starting to make plans for visits, because we've only just been informed of the full opening date.

Who's to say a lot of Star Wars loyalists didn't visit up front? A million people have ridden the Falcon and demand for $200 Lightsabres is greater than they can meet.

What does waiting for the Phantom Menace have to do with anything? Movies have front loaded attendance. I can easily see a Star Wars movie on opening night. Seeing Galaxy's Edge right away? That's far more complicated.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I really don't get what you're trying to say here. My point is that people may be just starting to make plans for visits, because we've only just been informed of the full opening date.

Who's to say a lot of Star Wars loyalists didn't visit up front? A million people have ridden the Falcon and demand for $200 Lightsabres is greater than they can meet.

What does waiting for the Phantom Menace have to do with anything? Movies have front loaded attendance. I can easily see a Star Wars movie on opening night. Seeing Galaxy's Edge right away? That's far more complicated.

We’re on different frequencies.

NelsonRD

Original Poster
Disneyland attendance is highly driven by locals, and most annual passes were blocked in June.

Tourists need time to plan a trip. For me, I'm booking vacation time and making plans in December & January. When Disney announces a new land will partially open in a few months, I can't decide to go on a moment's notice, and I'm more likely to wait for the full experience.

Hagrid is a low capacity coaster with some technical difficulties. Compare it to the guest count the Millennium Falcon has already racked up. The longer wait times for Hagrid are not an indication that it's more popular.

Can we please stop trying to declare Galaxy's Edge a success or failure after a few weeks of operation, or before it even opens? It's not a movie, where the opening weekend box office tells us all we need to know.

This is an addition that could impact attendance for years to come.

I suggested Hagrid's is more popular based on reports, not wait times. I am not declaring Star Wars a success or failure either. I am only speculating that Disney may have overestimated Star Wars Land. I know it will be popular, but I am trying gauge just how popular in this thread. Initial reports without Rise of the Resistance appear neutral.

rk03221

I think Disney made the mistake to have a ride based on the new movies because most people hate them. I love SW but I have zero interest in riding Rise of the Resistance. They put in too much faith in the new movies for sure. After seeing The Last Jedi I will never see another SW movie in theaters

Wendy Pleakley

I think Disney made the mistake to have a ride based on the new movies because most people hate them. I love SW but I have zero interest in riding Rise of the Resistance. They put in too much faith in the new movies for sure. After seeing The Last Jedi I will never see another SW movie in theaters

The Force Awakens was well received. The Last Jedi was a more mixed reaction, but still a far cry from "most people" hating the new movies.

Star Tours continues to be popular despite being based on the prequels, which most definitely garnered more disdain than the new films.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Without venturing opinions on the quality of movies ...they designed this before kennedy was in a box under federal Marshall guard and when they assumed just building sets and real effects instead of cgi was all that they needed to do in abramsland
The Force Awakens was well received. The Last Jedi was a more mixed reaction, but still a far cry from "most people" hating the new movies.

Star Tours continues to be popular despite being based on the prequels, which most definitely garnered more disdain than the new films.
Now I will comment on the quality.

My opinion (cause I love it when the wind is at my back as it has been for going on 2 years) is that the farce awakens was a visually pleasing, however devoid of character and lasting pull reboot.

A “C”

The last Johnson made no sense on any level...it “fixed” nothing that was broken...and mishandled 2 of three characters that you cannot miss on. It will never be forgotten.

But hey...just me and 4 other guys...everything has gone great since opening night.

Last edited:

Wendy Pleakley

Without venturing opinions on the quality of movies ...they designed this before kennedy was in a box under federal Marshall guard and when they assumed just building sets and real effects instead of cgi was all that they needed to do in abramsland

Now I will comment on the quality.

My opinion (cause I love it when the wind is at my back as it has been for going on 2 years) is that the farce awakens was a visually pleasing, however devoid of character and lasting pull reboot.

A “C”

The last Johnson made no sense on any level...it “fixed” noting that was broken...and mishandled 2 of three characters that you cannot miss on. It will never be forgotten.

But hey...just me and 4 other guys...everything has gone great since opening night.

Thanks, I missed the first 1000 times you posted about how you hate The Last Jedi and the current state of Star Wars ;)

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Thanks, I missed the first 1000 times you posted about how you hate The Last Jedi and the current state of Star Wars ;)
...kinda like the 20,000 declarations on this and other sites about how the land was gonna be “amazing” and “fantastic” before it was even designed - let alone built. And a lot “hasn’t” happened on the big screen since then too...

(Don’t worry...even I am getting bored with this...the topic will shift very soon I have no doubts)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom