Did Disney put too much stock into Star Wars?

bubbles1812

There’s no Vader??!? I have not been following what’s in the land, but now I’m definitely not visiting DHS if there’s no Vader. That’s who my kids wanted to see.
There is more to DHS than just Galaxy’s Edge... I know a lot of people rag on it but it has some of the best rides across all parks. It’s my second favorite after MK. It seems foolish to write off the park entirely because of a lack of Vader presence.

Magicart87

No Refunds!
Premium Member
If Hollywood Studio's Star Wars presence becomes over-saturated and inadvertently overshadows the rest of the park's offerings it could repel potential visitors, those with an aversion to anything SW. In which case, they'll just spend their coin elsewhere. Like Magic Kingdom or Uni.

I still believe there needs to be another MAJOR player IP-land to balance out SW:GE. If not for any other reason than to win back guests that would skip going to Disney's "Star Wars Park" otherwise.

Last edited:

KaliSplash

Certainly Mickey is planning for Star Wars to go far beyond the upcoming Episode IX. I, for one, have been Very pleased with both VII and VIII. Certainly was not as thrilled with the episodes I, II, and III. As someone mentioned above, the franchise is doing well at age 40. So there's no reason to expect it to die in the next decade. I do think they've made a mistake with opening lands with exactly 1 attraction. Still don't understand why Star Tours is Not part of Galaxy's Edge at HS. They managed to keep Midway Mania in the new ToyStory Land on the other side. (I realize that wouldn't be a new attraction, but still.) with only 1 new attraction, that hardly constitutes a land. I don't think Pandora is a great land with just 2 attractions. I do think they did an excellent job with the theme of the land and I trust they are planning to put more into it in terms of rides or shows. Galaxy's Edge needs more than the 2 attractions that they've announced.

mdcpr

There is more to DHS than just Galaxy’s Edge... I know a lot of people rag on it but it has some of the best rides across all parks. It’s my second favorite after MK. It seems foolish to write off the park entirely because of a lack of Vader presence.
Thank you for your opinion?!

Quinnmac000

20% of travelers who come to Cali and Disneyland are international. A majority of those international tourists are from Asia. Where is there no interest in SW? Asia. I think they banked hard on Domestic US audience who typically would go to Florida over Cali and forgetting Disneyland's international market is very different in the clientele and audience visitors

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
20% of travelers who come to Cali and Disneyland are international. A majority of those international tourists are from Asia. Where is there no interest in SW? Asia. I think they banked hard on Domestic US audience who typically would go to Florida over Cali and forgetting Disneyland's international market is very different in the clientele and audience visitors
Wdw is dominated by the US market. It’s a tremendous myth that internationals are a dominating presence in Florida.

The being said...they still miscalculated on a bigger scale than that in Disneyland...and maybe wdw too.

Merits or detractions of the land’s aside - there seem to be numerous mistakes on many levels resulting in the low attendance

BoarderPhreak

Disclaimer; I haven't been yet. But going by reviews...

I have to mostly agree that it feels like a cash grab (more so than usual). Instead of a gift shop after a ride, you have this entire land... Two huge aspects of it revolve around purchasing a $199 lightsaber or a $99 droid and "scrap metal" (spare parts) for each at some $20 per. The 'Cantina is selling drinks from $16-44 each. The "milk" drinks are $8 each. There are nearly half a dozen shops where yes, you can buy even more merch.

There's nothing free to do except the two main rides - and wander around to gawk. Nothing for kids specifically, unless you consider the app.

All that said, I can't wait to check it out. Mainly for the scenery and RotR. You can keep the rest.

mergatroid

i know this has been like beating a dead horse but I whole-heartedly agree about retheming the land. I have no interest in going to a place that has no special meaning or connection to the original trilogy.. That doesn't mean I won't go at some point, but I won't be clamoring to get there.

People keep saying this ignoring the fact that both attractions are connected with a Millennium Falcon attraction and the ROTR attraction has storm troopers and tie fightes. Add to that Chewbacca, droids and building lightsabers and I can see many connections with the original trilogy. As for the land itself, off the top of my head I can't think of too many outdoor locations they could replicate?

Deserts, dark dingy forrests, snow covered bases? I suppose Orlando has swamps like Dagobah though how that could be converted safely into a land seems a bit difficult.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
People keep saying this ignoring the fact that both attractions are connected with a Millennium Falcon attraction and the ROTR attraction has storm troopers and tie fighter. Add to that Chewbacca, droids and building lightsabers and I can see many connections with the original trilogy. As for the land itself, off the top of my head I can't think of too many outdoor locations they could replicate?

Deserts, dark dingy forrests, snow covered bases? I suppose Orlando has swamps like Dagobah though how that could be converted safely into a land seems a bit difficult.

Except they relabeled all the players in probably the dumbest move since jar jar...

They did it for vague nuance...and cut some ties to the OT that was specifically called for by the fanbase on balance.

And there are of course other choices. You are aware they built a water park out fake ski mountains?

mergatroid

Except they relabeled all the players in probably the dumbest move since jar jar...

They did it for vague nuance...and cut some ties to the OT that was specifically called for by the fanbase on balance.

And there are of course other choices. You are aware they built a water park out fake ski mountains?

Of course I am. So let's examine Hoth then, a wasteland with a base on it. If they replicated that as a land there'd be nothing but snow there and a base, sounds absolutely thrilling that. Nothing but fake snow (Blizzard Beach without the slides, trees, pools and stores) and a hidden ride building. They could have made a small section of the land Hoth I suppose, but then how could they explain Tatooine next to it with nothing there either except sand and huts?

They could perhaps have integrated 'the feel' of Mos Eisley I guess but then again there'd no doubt be people on here complaining that you had to see a 40 year old movie to know where Mos Eisley was and what it looked like? Whatever they chose there'd be complaints that were valid to a degree?

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
Star Wars, Avatar, and Marvel all don't really appeal to me in the grand scheme of things. I just want animation movies to be the most represented. The other three "big sellers" are boring for me personally.

Magenta Panther

Is Star Wars really going to be as popular as Disney thinks? I know it will be popular, and I know Rise of the Resistance is not open yet, but initial reports for Star Wars California is weak. I know it is not just Star Wars Disney is preparing for, but they have focused on increased prices, Star Wars Hotel, Gondola, Gran Destino Tower, Rivera Resort - all expecting large influx of guests. Will these crowds be as big as Disney expects? Maybe the arrogant “all we need to do is tweet its open” isn’t correct.

Hagrid’s Motorbike adventure actually seems more popular than Star Wars California.

Am I wrong in predicting less than expected crowds?

Star Wars is largely a played-out franchise (and BTW, it's not the first Disney purchase that banked too much on continuing popularity ;) ). I think one of the issues it has is that its first incarnation was as a series of films, with wonderful original characters portrayed by perfectly-cast actors. That is a hell of an act to follow, one that subsequent attempts have failed at. Now let's look at Marvel: the characters in that universe originated in comics, and none of those characters are dependent on any one actor for their survival. If one actor does a lousy job at Spiderman, then you just recast the part next time. Spiderman survives. Whereas, to most people, Harrison Ford IS Han Solo and they'll accept no substitutions. So while I still think putting Marvel characters in Disney parks is frankly barf, as a film series, it will always be more bankable than Star Wars. Marvel, as a franchise, has fewer weaknesses. JMHO.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Of course I am. So let's examine Hoth then, a wasteland with a base on it. If they replicated that as a land there'd be nothing but snow there and a base, sounds absolutely thrilling that. Nothing but fake snow (Blizzard Beach without the slides, trees, pools and stores) and a hidden ride building. They could have made a small section of the land Hoth I suppose, but then how could they explain Tatooine next to it with nothing there either except sand and huts?

They could perhaps have integrated 'the feel' of Mos Eisley I guess but then again there'd no doubt be people on here complaining that you had to see a 40 year old movie to know where Mos Eisley was and what it looked like? Whatever they chose there'd be complaints that were valid to a degree?

I think the forest theme was more than on the table...they built a “mini” version of it in mgm that was always a cruel tease...

But a “spaceport” with some bilevel interior concourse would have worked.

It is STAR wars.

They missed a chance to bring people inside - like an Epcot pavilion - for the “immersion” junkyards and sand huts would do...

Why?
I think 2 reasons:
1. In the case of Florida...they’re gonna try to do it for $1000 per person/per night in a boutique hotel.

But a land that could really do it...is worth so much more to Disney and the IP longterm. Penny wise🤫

2. A space theme harkens back too much to the OT...which means less ties to Alias-Felicity-Lost Land...

Which they assumed (falsely) was a cant miss.

As if the 90’s never happened (unfortunately it did)

Wendy Pleakley

Is Star Wars really going to be as popular as Disney thinks? I know it will be popular, and I know Rise of the Resistance is not open yet, but initial reports for Star Wars California is weak. I know it is not just Star Wars Disney is preparing for, but they have focused on increased prices, Star Wars Hotel, Gondola, Gran Destino Tower, Rivera Resort - all expecting large influx of guests. Will these crowds be as big as Disney expects? Maybe the arrogant “all we need to do is tweet its open” isn’t correct.

Hagrid’s Motorbike adventure actually seems more popular than Star Wars California.

Am I wrong in predicting less than expected crowds?

Disneyland attendance is highly driven by locals, and most annual passes were blocked in June.

Tourists need time to plan a trip. For me, I'm booking vacation time and making plans in December & January. When Disney announces a new land will partially open in a few months, I can't decide to go on a moment's notice, and I'm more likely to wait for the full experience.

Hagrid is a low capacity coaster with some technical difficulties. Compare it to the guest count the Millennium Falcon has already racked up. The longer wait times for Hagrid are not an indication that it's more popular.

Can we please stop trying to declare Galaxy's Edge a success or failure after a few weeks of operation, or before it even opens? It's not a movie, where the opening weekend box office tells us all we need to know.

This is an addition that could impact attendance for years to come.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Star Wars is largely a played-out franchise (and BTW, it's not the first Disney purchase that banked too much on continuing popularity ;) ). I think one of the issues it has is that its first incarnation was as a series of films, with wonderful original characters portrayed by perfectly-cast actors. That is a hell of an act to follow, one that subsequent attempts have failed at. Now let's look at Marvel: the characters in that universe originated in comics, and none of those characters are dependent on any one actor for their survival. If one actor does a lousy job at Spiderman, then you just recast the part next time. Spiderman survives. Whereas, to most people, Harrison Ford IS Han Solo and they'll accept no substitutions. So while I still think putting Marvel characters in Disney parks is frankly barf, as a film series, it will always be more bankable than Star Wars. Marvel, as a franchise, has fewer weaknesses. JMHO.
Excellent.

As far as “played out”...I’m really starting to agree. However the level of “mishandle” greatly tinges that assessment.

First by Lucas...now by Disney.

Horribly mishandled. With the financial means of both Lucas and then Disney...there’s is no excuse other than the depressing conclusion they saw it ONLY as a merchandising vessel...and not a story. And couldn’t comprehend that story.

Bad verbal scores.

The five angry guys in their moms basement - who are the only people in the solar system that don’t love Star Wars - I would venture could write a better sorry arc than we have seen. Especially of late.

I’m quite sure of that.

Last edited:

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
IMHO for the parks, it's questionable but for the film franchise, it's great. I don't believe that we need a physical manifestation for every Disney owned property nor should we expect one. I also believe that injecting social consciousness themes is problematic as you're always going to offend someone when your trope violates their beliefs.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Disneyland attendance is highly driven by locals, and most annual passes were blocked in June.

Tourists need time to plan a trip. For me, I'm booking vacation time and making plans in December & January. When Disney announces a new land will partially open in a few months, I can't decide to go on a moment's notice, and I'm more likely to wait for the full experience.

Hagrid is a low capacity coaster with some technical difficulties. Compare it to the guest count the Millennium Falcon has already racked up. The longer wait times for Hagrid are not an indication that it's more popular.

Can we please stop trying to declare Galaxy's Edge a success or failure after a few weeks of operation, or before it even opens? It's not a movie, where the opening weekend box office tells us all we need to know.

This is an addition that could impact attendance for years to come.

You discounted your own excuse...I mean...”explanation”

People have to plan for Travel farther out - generally speaking - than would have allowed to adjust for one ride not opening. They wouldn’t have known.

I’m not declaring it a success or a failure...because it cannot be done. Disneyland is not a flop and wdw will not be a smash when the fools descend...

But...but...where are the the Star Wars loyalists that have and assumed would have spent any amount of money to fulfill their dreams right up front?

It’s worse than the land...it’s the IP that has softened.
No way you shouldn’t be able to get people in there. People waiting weeks for phantom menace. Just hard to really encompass the left turn.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom