did any of the parks close due to capacity?

krankenstein

I was in the MK on the 4th. We got to the park at 8 am for opening stayed until about 11 or so and went back to our hotel (off site). Came back around 5:30ish. MK parking lot was indeed closed. We went to Epcot and caught the monorail to the MK and got right in, no problems. Don't get me wrong, it was crowded, but it was not as bad as I thought it would be.

Btw, we watched the fireworks from Fantasyland.

fosse76

None of the CM's know what the actual number for capacity is. The fire marshals at reedy creek make that call when they think it's time.

It's gotta be a really big number.

It's probably the same way Six Flags determines capacity: variable factors: the number of CMs in the park, the amount of food/beverage available, the number of operating attractions, the no. of emergency resources available. Physical capacity of the park has probably never been reached (the no. of people that could fit in the park regardless of the aforementioned variables). I remember Six Flags had projected attendance levels for each day of the season, and that is how they determined staffing levels and food and drink levels. It is not unreasonable that Disney would operate in a similar manner, except on a much grander scale.

Javier Boughton

i believe what fosse is saying is right...

i was on june 28 at the gate before epcot was opening...the CM had a meeting with a sort of manager..and he told them they were expecting 25,000 people..

so they do plan accordingly before opening a park, and know when to close it..

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
None of the CM's know what the actual number for capacity is. The fire marshals at reedy creek make that call when they think it's time.

It's gotta be a really big number.

It's probably the same way Six Flags determines capacity: variable factors: the number of CMs in the park, the amount of food/beverage available, the number of operating attractions, the no. of emergency resources available. Physical capacity of the park has probably never been reached (the no. of people that could fit in the park regardless of the aforementioned variables). I remember Six Flags had projected attendance levels for each day of the season, and that is how they determined staffing levels and food and drink levels. It is not unreasonable that Disney would operate in a similar manner, except on a much grander scale.

Disney guards the actual number in a vault.

Just kidding, but they are pretty closed mouth about park attendance figures.

mrerk

Premium Member
How do they close it off? For example... I am spending Christmas at Disney (on site), but I am an AP holder. We have ressies at Epcot for Candelight Processional. Will we need to get there at opening to make sure we get in? I want to drive my own car instead of using the Disney buses, so will I have just as much a shot to get in as people who use the buses?

I wouldn't worry too much about Epcot. It's capacity is much higher than the MK. If you are staying on site you are almost guaranteed admission, as long as you use Disney transport. If you are staying on site you will have a better chance of getting in if you use the busses instead of your own car. The first phase of closing is not allowing cars into the parking lots.

maryszhi

The Griswolds finally arrive at Wally World only to find that it is closed.

Clark springs into action.

:)
that is tooo funny. i would hate to be the person to tell all those people, sorry but we are filled to comp. i always wondered: are you guaranteed admission if you are staying on property?

scarpiapiano

I could easily see how MK could be closed early because it's so much smaller in area then Epcot or AK but does Disney ever close any of the other parks because of capacity issues?

Erin_Akey

Does anyone know the answer to the question that was posed about getting in if you have dining reservation? I am a little concerned because at Christmas last year, I can't remember which day it was, possibly New Year's Eve, and MK got closed due to capacity. We have lunch reservations Christmas Day at Liberty Tree Tavern.....I would hate to get to the gate and be told it was closed.

This meal is to celebrate my son's birthday. I wonder if you could prove you had a reservation if you could get in???? Hmmmm???:confused:

N234MM

They stopped me at the gate and told me it was closed. Then they asked me for my ticket. He said I could go in because I was an AP holder. He said if you are staying on-site or are an AP holder the park is not closed to you. We went in and had a good time!

elizs77

A bit more light on the subject from Anita Answer over at allearsnet: http://www.allearsnet.com/aa/aa041408.htm#ques6

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Hi Mike and Brandy! [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]I just knew somebody would ask me more about phased closings! Synchronize your watches and here goes: [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]WDW Phased Park Closings[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Phase I: Guests with non-hopper-type Magic Your Way base tickets or Single Day/Single Park Tickets, guests without admission, and Cast Members using certain types of CM admission are turned away at the entrances to the parking lots. [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Phase II: Disney Resort guests, Annual/Premium Annual Passholders, guests with park hopper tickets, and guests re-entering the same park on the same day are admitted, but only if they arrive using Disney resort transportation or a taxi. [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Phase III: Disney Resort guests and Annual/Premium Annual passholders are admitted; however, they must arrive using Disney resort transportation. [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Phase IV: The parks are closed to all incoming guests. There is no incoming transportation of any kind. [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]As you can see, while it's true in general that Disney Resort guests are allowed into a park that has been closed to day guests, it is possible for even resort guests to be shut out of the parks if they get to a certain capacity. If a park got to that phase of closing, you wouldn't want to be in the park anyway, trust me! [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Although I've never been in a park during a Phase IV closing, I've been in Epcot during a Phase III closing, and it was literally wall-to-wall people. It was almost impossible to make our way through the sea of people, and Soarin' had a 3.5 hour wait according to the tip board! Yikes! [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]To give you an idea of what time of day phased closings may be implemented, on New Year's Eve 2007, the Magic Kingdom had already reached Phase III at around 11:00 am. Before lunchtime, no one but resort guests and AP holders coming by Disney transportation were able to get into the park at that time. [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Why do I say "at that time?" Because Phased Closings are fluid, and each park may reach a different closing phase at a different time of day. Not only that, they can change throughout the day as people come and go. The crowds can get better or worse, depending on who's arriving, how they're arriving, and even the weather. [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]I remember one New Year's Eve a few years ago, when we were dining at the Contemporary Steakhouse with several friends. When we left the Magic Kingdom at dinner time for our dining reservation, it was likely at Phase III (there was a line for the Hall of Presidents!). During dinner, a sudden huge storm blew in, complete with torrential rains. We went back to the Magic Kingdom anyway because it was warm and a little rain doesn't bother us, even when the water is ankle deep on Main Street. Although we all ended up with ruined shoes, we quite literally had the park to ourselves the whole night, and we declared it to be The Best New Year's Eve Ever! [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]All that said, you can't depend on a freak storm to chase the crowds away. If you intend to be in a park on a peak day like New Year's Eve and are not a Disney resort guest, you must get there BEFORE the park opens. The parking lots open at least an hour before the park does. The Rule of Thumb for Disney resort guests is, "If you can get to the turnstiles, you can get in the park." Do remember, though, that it's possible that even resort guests could get locked out. [/FONT]

Erin_Akey

They stopped me at the gate and told me it was closed. Then they asked me for my ticket. He said I could go in because I was an AP holder. He said if you are staying on-site or are an AP holder the park is not closed to you. We went in and had a good time!

That is good to know! Answers my question for sure.

awalkinthepark

We went to the MK on the 4th....arrived around 10:30 am and felt that the crowds were manageable until about 4pm. Lines weren't too bad...crowd control at Cosmic Rays and Pecos Bill's was phenomenal...if only they did that type of thing every other day.....when they blocked off the area near the castle for fireworks humanity got a little ugly...but we managed to stand our ground and the kids did not get crushed in the crowd.....it was quite ...ahemm..intimate:rolleyes:.... with no where to go...once we realized the mass of flesh, sweat and mickey mouse t-shirts wasn't moving there was no way to back out...the kids went up onto our shoulders because the crowd was packed so tight.

we managed to have 2 magical moments that day too....1st we were plucked out of the line for teacups to celebrate our very happy unbirthday and rec'd a certificate and pictures of Alice and the mad hatter for the kids and the kids were also covered with stickers. ...and when we left around 10pm we were plucked out of line on the monorail platform to ride up front with the pilot...creepy in the dark but neat at the same time...the kids loved it.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Does anyone know the answer to the question that was posed about getting in if you have dining reservation? I am a little concerned because at Christmas last year, I can't remember which day it was, possibly New Year's Eve, and MK got closed due to capacity. We have lunch reservations Christmas Day at Liberty Tree Tavern.....I would hate to get to the gate and be told it was closed.

This meal is to celebrate my son's birthday. I wonder if you could prove you had a reservation if you could get in???? Hmmmm???:confused:
The parks will close in 4 phases. As a resort guest or an AP holder you will be allowed in through a phase 3 closure. If the parks hit a phase 4 closure nothing will get you in but it is my understanding that a phase 4 closure is extremely rare.

Phase 1: Guests with MYW base tickets, one day tickets, guests with no admission, and CMs using a main gate are turned around at the Auto Plaza.

Phase 2: Only resort guests, AP/PAP, Park Hoppers, guests re-entering the same park admitted, ONLY if using a taxi or resort transportation. (Auto Plaza is closed)

Phase 3: Only resort guests and AP/PAP admitted. (Only resort transportation)

Phase 4: Closed to all guests. (No incoming transportation)

kimmychad

Disney guards the actual number in a vault.

Just kidding, but they are pretty closed mouth about park attendance figures.

yeah they must be, i've called a couple times and asked how many tickets they sell for the christmas party and they tell me they don't know.

WishIwasThere

Interesting information...
I guess the high fuel prices aren't scaring people away yet...Unless the guests are all Europeans, since the dollar is so weak, a trip to the states is cheap for them now.

Intersting that if you go to other Disney sites, I guess it was quiet over on the left coast this weekend. Wait board picture form Disneyland showed nothing longer than 45-60 minutes.

Not to make light of this, because it would stink to get to WDW and be turned away.

But, high attendance at WDW means that this bad economy has not effected WDW yet.

We should look at attendance levels and not the DOW when judging the state of the economy.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Interesting information...
I guess the high fuel prices aren't scaring people away yet...Unless the guests are all Europeans, since the dollar is so weak, a trip to the states is cheap for them now.

Intersting that if you go to other Disney sites, I guess it was quiet over on the left coast this weekend. Wait board picture form Disneyland showed nothing longer than 45-60 minutes.
Actually they kind of are. Normally that weekend (4th of July) is sold out months in advance but this year there was availability at all resort levels as close as 1 week prior and moderate and up accommodations available within a couple of days before the 4th. You will see quite a few locals with AP's at the parks on the 4th.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom