Diagon Alley reviews thread

JT3000

Boring Brit here going Early Sept. Will i be in a queue all day to ride Gringotts???? Is there any news on when it will fully running with 50 or whatever number of cars? And will you be able to purchase that Universal fast past thingy to get on it?

I also can't see through all here about the single rider queue. Does it go through all the main pre show areas?
Whats a decent touring plan now if you've got a 2 park ticket (2 days)?Why has Jurrassic park sign gone? Why is Saturday following Friday? So many questions.

Lines should be shorter by September, but still expect a wait. The ride will hopefully be running at full capacity by then, but you never know. Express currently isn't valid for the main HP attractions.

You don't need much of a touring plan at Universal. Just get Wizarding World out of the way early.

kap91

I've got to admit, I strongly agree with these lines.

Funny how many people think NOS is the best part of DL. I don't think it looks authentic at ALL, but then again, I've spent many a Mardi Gras in the real Crescent City. And don't get me started on the theme park attempt at New Orleans food!

I like nos square not necessarily because it's authentic (never been to New Orleans for real) but because of the atmosphere and the beauty of that whole area. I never want to leave it once I enter. I know of no other place in any theme park like it. And it's also home to the two best rides ever built and the best nighttime show ever built. And maybe I'm just not enough of a foodie but I find everything in nos to be delicious. Especially their gumbo - which is the only version of it I adore.

Last edited:

kap91

Not "cinematic" enough?

It seems to me like they nailed the "cinemajesty" of it perfectly.​

hogwarts-express.jpg

HOGWARTS-EXPRESS.jpg

harry-potter-e-ron-weasley-sullhogwarts-express.jpg

hogswarth-cabin.jpg

hqdefault.jpg

14460884102_200d5aa898_z.jpg

HPDH208436.jpg

hogwarts-express-loading.jpg

hpdh2-08214.jpg

14379957748_496f032aea_h.jpg

I'm really tired of people on this forum telling me what I did or did not experience. It was MY review. I can't review what didn't happen. When I was there, there was definitely no steam nor any sound effects of any kind on the platform or from the train. The train silently rolled backwards into the station with little to no fanfare, the doors slid open, and we were lead on. If I had experienced what you show in the pictures and say is supposed to be heard I might have a different opinion. But it didn't on either of two trips. Additionally two of your photos are taken from places where we were not even close to being allowed, not even if we were would we have been able to see the train from that perspective because by the time the train arrives you must be corralled ready to be lead into the cars with no time to see the engine and what would be that movie moment. So no, it was not cinematic.

And it is effectively an up charge attraction. I understand why this is, it would be very difficult for them to not do it that way, but I do think then the expectation should be to provide the best experience possible. It should be judged as a ride not as a shuttle. It's a great ride, not spectacular. Essence of my review. If when I go again it's different I'll be sure to post a new one.

EDIT: I went again and posted some revised opinions later in the thread. The essence of my review hasn't changed but I'm a bit more positive now.

Last edited:

Tom Morrow

Original Poster
I think you may have caught it at a bad time. There is steam emitting from in between each car, and the engine does make engine and chugging sound effects. I agree that a little more fanfare for the train's arrival would be better.

Milla4Prez66

The steam effect has worked everytime I've been on it. I went this morning to the Hogsmeade station to ride and it was raining and the train looked so cool pulling in with the steam in the rain.

tirian

You must have hit it at a bad time. If a ride uses new technology, things like this happen during its early days.

I'm really tired of people on this forum telling me what I did or did not experience. It was MY review. I can't review what didn't happen. When I was there, there was definitely no steam nor any sound effects of any kind on the platform or from the train. The train silently rolled backwards into the station with little to no fanfare, the doors slid open, and we were lead on. If I had experienced what you show in the pictures and say is supposed to be heard I might have a different opinion. But it didn't on either of two trips. Additionally two of your photos are taken from places where we were not even close to being allowed, not even if we were would we have been able to see the train from that perspective because by the time the train arrives you must be corralled ready to be lead into the cars with no time to see the engine and what would be that movie moment. So no, it was not cinematic.

And it is effectively an up charge attraction. I understand why this is, it would be very difficult for them to not do it that way, but I do think then the expectation should be to provide the best experience possible. It should be judged as a ride not as a shuttle. It's a great ride, not spectacular. Essence of my review. If when I go again it's different I'll be sure to post a new one.

Timekeeper

Additionally two of your photos are taken from places where we were not even close to being allowed, not even if we were would we have been able to see the train from that perspective because by the time the train arrives you must be corralled ready to be lead into the cars with no time to see the engine and what would be that movie moment. So no, it was not cinematic.

All of the guest photos (they're obviously in pairs with the "real" HE, followed by the Uni HE) were taken from places/perspectives where guests either queue or are otherwise "allowed." They're guest/tourist photos. There's nothing unique about their vantage points.

The nature of a queue is that it is constantly moving (unless it's Gringotts, of course). So, you might not have been standing in a specific location at a specific time when the train is in a specific position that would have been magical enough for your standards. But if hundreds of other faces lit up while yours did not, then I'd suggest that Uni got it right, and it's simply not your cup of tea.

It's a shame that you apparently had some bad luck with respect to some of the effects not being in full show operation. It's only been officially open for one week. I've been on many times, in both directions, and the effects were always full and complete.

image8.jpg

There's a location at the Hogsmeade platform where guests can stay and watch the train, take photos, etc. It's accessible to all guests after they disembark the train.

14565829132_f0925e801d_h.jpg

Last edited:

JT3000

And it is effectively an up charge attraction.

No, it isn't. As I've said before, you are park hopping. You aren't paying anything extra for one ride. You are technically already in the other park by the time you board the train, as you've already past the ticket scanners. If you're in one park, and want to ride something in another park, what do you need? A ticket to the other park! You aren't paying for transportation, you're paying admission.

khale1970

No, it isn't. As I've said before, you are park hopping. You aren't paying anything extra for one ride. You are technically already in the other park by the time you board the train, as you've already past the ticket scanners. If you're in one park, and want to ride something in another park, what do you need? A ticket to the other park! You aren't paying for transportation, you're paying admission.

I don't disagree that you are paying for admission, but many people will in fact be buying the park hopper (and paying for admission) solely to ride one ride. If you wanted to go to both parks, you could buy a two day single park admission, go on different days, and ride every ride except for the HE. If you want to ride the HE and you intend to go to the parks on different days, you would pay $40.00 per ticket to add the park hopper.

No reason to be defensive about it. UNI was pretty smart in coming up with this way to separate the guests from a bit more of their money. They appear to get a quality experience for the extra money, but there is no doubt they have to pay extra money for the experience.

Timekeeper

I don't disagree that you are paying for admission, but many people will in fact be buying the park hopper (and paying for admission) solely to ride one ride. If you wanted to go to both parks, you could buy a two day single park admission, go on different days, and ride every ride except for the HE. If you want to ride the HE and you intend to go to the parks on different days, you would pay $40.00 per ticket to add the park hopper.

No reason to be defensive about it. UNI was pretty smart in coming up with this way to separate the guests from a bit more of their money. They appear to get a quality experience for the extra money, but there is no doubt they have to pay extra money for the experience.

I partially agree with your comment, because of the way that the math plays out, but respectfully have a different opinion as to what motivates guests to make a purchasing decision between the ticket options in the 2-day hypothetical example that you gave.

Park-to-Park 2-Day Admission / Single Park 2-Day Admission
PTP_2Day_price_change_tcm13-34533_tcm13-44784.png
SP_2Day_price_change_tcm13-34538_tcm13-44790.png

Given the options and the benefits of park-hopping, I just don't think that the HE is biggest variable that most guests will be taking into consideration when deciding on whether or not to opt for the hopper. There are significant benefits to being able to hop, aside from the benefit of the ride/show elements of the HE. If a guest goes to IOA in the morning, and then the Florida weather takes a turn, effectively closing the multiple outdoor attractions for the remainder of the day, it would be beneficial to be able hop to USF and spend the remainder of the day there with the indoor attractions, then try IOA again the next day. Or maybe on one day, guests will focus on the children and hit the kid-friendly attractions at each park, and then do the thrill rides in each park the next day. Or maybe a guest is attending during HHN and needs to hop in order to experience everything in USF across 2 days because of their earlier closing times during HHN. Etc.

HE will obviously be a variable for some (not all) guests in their ticket-purchasing decisions, but there are benefits to hopping that outweigh a brief train ride. So, while it may be A variable, or additional incentive, I just don't think it's THE variable for the majority of guests.

Milla4Prez66

If you're a huge Potter fan than you should want the 2 park pass even before the Hogwarts Express comes into play. But I will say this, if you are buying the 2 park SOLELY to ride the train then you are wasting money, IMO. It should just be a bonus to being able to experience two awesome parks.

khale1970

I partially agree with your comment, because of the way that the math plays out, but respectfully have a different opinion as to what motivates guests to make a purchasing decision between the ticket options in the 2-day hypothetical example that you gave.

Park-to-Park 2-Day Admission / Single Park 2-Day Admission
PTP_2Day_price_change_tcm13-34533_tcm13-44784.png
SP_2Day_price_change_tcm13-34538_tcm13-44790.png

Given the options and the benefits of park-hopping, I just don't think that the HE is biggest variable that most guests will be taking into consideration when deciding on whether or not to opt for the hopper. There are significant benefits to being able to hop, aside from the benefit of the ride/show elements of the HE. If a guest goes to IOA in the morning, and then the Florida weather takes a turn, effectively closing the multiple outdoor attractions for the remainder of the day, it would be beneficial to be able hop to USF and spend the remainder of the day there with the indoor attractions, then try IOA again the next day. Or maybe on one day, guests will focus on the children and hit the kid-friendly attractions at each park, and then do the thrill rides in each park the next day. Or maybe a guest is attending during HHN and needs to hop in order to experience everything in USF across 2 days because of their earlier closing times during HHN. Etc.

HE will obviously be a variable for some (not all) guests in their ticket-purchasing decisions, but there are benefits to hopping that outweigh a brief train ride. So, while it may be A variable, or additional incentive, I just don't think it's THE variable for the majority of guests.

Sure, folks buy park hoppers for many reasons. We got them for UNI on our June trip and DA and HE weren't even open. For those who do or would get the add on anyway, HE is an enhancement to the experience. But those who normally don't or wouldn't buy the add on have to decide to either pay the extra money or miss the one ride.

Like I said, I'm not opposed to the idea at all and I'm glad UNI put some effort into giving the required extra expenditure some good value. Guests who previously wouldn't have bought hoppers will just have to decide whether that good value on it's own or combined with other reasons is worth $40.00. No doubt many will and UNI will be rewarded for their decision.

Tom Morrow

Original Poster
Since we were discussing the look of the fake train tracks, here are two photos from Hogsmeade station:

HE (1).JPG HE (2).JPG

Yes, you can see the cable, but it isn't "in your face", its pretty subtle, and the tracks are themed to look like train tracks. Complaining about this, IMO, would be like complaining that Expedition Everest is obviously also not a real steam train.

I paid attention to the ambiance of he station and I don't mind that the stations are quiet since most of Universal is mostly loud. I do have to agree that the train arrival could use a bit more fanfare. I realize it won't ever sound like the real steam whistles of re MK locomotives, and that it can't be as loud as them since train whistles carry and Universal borders on residential areas. But... The train whistle is pretty wimpy sounding.

Last edited:

Tom Morrow

Original Poster
Second visit thoughts:

Only had a short time to look around. Didn't get to ride Gringotts.

I stand by my background music complaint. It's lazy fan service to just blast the movie score and main themes in EVERY possible area. You hear the main theme song over and over and over between the two lands. I really, really wish they would get some original music for both areas, or at least in some areas, to both add atmosphere and break up the monotony.

For comparison, all of IOA's main area music is original except the Jurassic Park entrances.

Tried Butterbeer ice cream. Very good.

The reason there are a lot of empty store fronts is because many of them actually house an indoor, air conditioned queue for the real shops.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom