DHS question

Dustinius

Original Poster
Is DHS a full day park? If not, could you recommend which other park we could hop to in order to maximize our day? Is it recommended to do Animal Kingdom in the a.m then go to DHS for the afternoon? This would give us 2 days at Epcot and 2 days at MK ( 5 day hoppers).

Thanks

dhslxop

DHS can definitely be a full day park. It all depends on whether you like seeing shows, thrill rides, meeting characters, etc. If you are just going for the rides, you could go at rope drop and be done with everything by mid day (I wouldn't suggest going to DHS just in the afternoon if you plan to ride TSMM, ToT or RNRC). But if you like seeing shows, you definitely need a good majority of the day to see them all.

There are at least 6 shows + Fantasmic in the park, and all of them play at relatively the same times - so you would need to see them throughout the day if you wanted to see them.

Add in even more time if you are planning on meeting characters that you can't find in other parks (such as in Animation or the Phineas and Ferb characters). If you've never seen Fantasmic, I'd recommend doing that too.

It just kind of depends on what your interest is, and how much you plan to do in the park.

The Empress Lilly

Is DHS a full day park? If not, could you recommend which other park we could hop to in order to maximize our day? Is it recommended to do Animal Kingdom in the a.m then go to DHS for the afternoon? This would give us 2 days at Epcot and 2 days at MK ( 5 day hoppers).

Thanks
I pretty much do that. MK and EPCOT are full days. I hop from DAK to DHS. Even if not so much for thinking DHS a half day park, but because DAK by its early closing time is. Also, DAK and DHS feel like a great combination, two flavours that go well after the other.

ratherbeinwdw

Thanks
We hopped between AK and DHS our last trip. I recommend you do AK first. Be there at rope drop and do the safari and EE, then whatever else you like. Have your fp+'s for DHS for TSMM, RnRC and whichever other ride you don't want to miss. We were able to do both parks this way. We did not have any children with us. If you have children, then this wouldn't be a good way to go.

Glasgow

DHS is fantastically complicated when trying to fit everything into a single day if you are trying to see the shows and walk throughs. Try to plan the shows first and then get your fastpasses around that (except tsmm, which almost always requires getting a fastpass right at the beginning of the day).

If you're finished early, hop over to the Boardwalk and then over to Epcot.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
If it's your first trip (or first trip in a while) AK is a full day park...as long as you slow down and take in all the shows, trails, etc...if you just rush through the headline rides, you can do it in a few hours...not even a full half day. :p But, it offers a lot more unique experiences than just rides. So, I'd recommend slowing down and taking all that in.

But, it does close early...which is why many still consider it a "half day"...what'd I'd recommend is doing AK for a "full day" (while they are open), then hopping over to DTD and make that your shopping night, as well as have dinner and maybe see La Nouba?

DHS is easily a full day if you try and do all the shows and rides. But, it can be done in one day.

StarWarsGirl

If it's your first trip (or first trip in a while) AK is a full day park...as long as you slow down and take in all the shows, trails, etc...if you just rush through the headline rides, you can do it in a few hours...not even a full half day. :p But, it offers a lot more unique experiences than just rides. So, I'd recommend slowing down and taking all that in.
Where's the love button? There's lots of trails and such. Taking it all in is the best. Standing there and watching the animals is great.

But, it does close early...which is why many still consider it a "half day"...what'd I'd recommend is doing AK for a "full day" (while they are open), then hopping over to DTD and make that your shopping night, as well as have dinner and maybe see La Nouba?

DHS is easily a full day if you try and do all the shows and rides. But, it can be done in one day.
Mmmhmm. If you get a park hopper and are a Disney resort guest, I also recommend planning it on an EMH day for Epcot or MK. You can have dinner at one of the resorts and go over to MK or have dinner at Epcot and walk around World Showcase on a non EMH evening as well.

bethymouse

We Disney "experts" might say that DHS and AK are both 1/2 day parks. But, 1st timers, note that to see all of the shows and attractions, IMHO it may take 2 days at each park or at least park hopper tickets. With little ones, I think it's exhausting to park hop. With teenagers, park hopping is essential. At DHS you must see Beauty and the Beast, Lights, Motor, Action..., Indiana Jones, ride Tower of Terror and Rockin Roller Coaster, Toy Story Midway Mania ( a FP+ must), Star Tours ( sign up for Jedi Training Academy if you have little ones who want to "fight" Darth Vader), schedule in time for character meet n greets, The Great Movie Ride, Backlot Tour, and end the night with a Fantasmic Dinner Package. See the parade mid day if you have little ones. If you like American Idol, then take a break and watch the show ( or even audition if you like). The Voyage of the Little Mermaid is also a show to see. Little ones will enjoy the Disney Jr. show.
So... yes it can be a full day park!:joyfull:

wdwfan4ver

At DHS you must see Beauty and the Beast, Lights, Motor, Action..., Indiana Jones, ride Tower of Terror and Rockin Roller Coaster, Toy Story Midway Mania ( a FP+ must), Star Tours ( sign up for Jedi Training Academy if you have little ones who want to "fight" Darth Vader), schedule in time for character meet n greets, The Great Movie Ride, Backlot Tour, and end the night with a Fantasmic Dinner Package. See the parade mid day if you have little ones. If you like American Idol, then take a break and watch the show ( or even audition if you like). The Voyage of the Little Mermaid is also a show to see. Little ones will enjoy the Disney Jr. show.
There is not a parade at DHS anymore. Pixar Pals countdown to fun was discontinued in early April and there is no replacement since. The Disney Channel Rocks also was discontinued at the same time.

Mo-Ped

We've always made DHS a full day park. But AK has never been a full day park for us. However, the last time we were there, it was almost a full day park. It's getting better, with EE! I think what AK lacks is a couple of really good restaurants ( I don't consider Tusker House to be a good restaurant, nor the Rainforest Cafe, ftm) and maybe one more show.

walter1901

We've always made DHS a full day park. But AK has never been a full day park for us. However, the last time we were there, it was almost a full day park. It's getting better, with EE! I think what AK lacks is a couple of really good restaurants ( I don't consider Tusker House to be a good restaurant, nor the Rainforest Cafe, ftm) and maybe one more show.

How dare you talk about Tusker House that way!:eek::):):):):):):):):):eek::eek::mad::):):):):):)

The Empress Lilly

We Disney "experts" might say that DHS and AK are both 1/2 day parks. But, 1st timers, note that to see all of the shows and attractions, IMHO it may take 2 days at each park or at least park hopper tickets. With little ones, I think it's exhausting to park hop. With teenagers, park hopping is essential. At DHS you must see Beauty and the Beast, Lights, Motor, Action..., Indiana Jones, ride Tower of Terror and Rockin Roller Coaster, Toy Story Midway Mania ( a FP+ must), Star Tours ( sign up for Jedi Training Academy if you have little ones who want to "fight" Darth Vader), schedule in time for character meet n greets, The Great Movie Ride, Backlot Tour, and end the night with a Fantasmic Dinner Package. See the parade mid day if you have little ones. If you like American Idol, then take a break and watch the show ( or even audition if you like). The Voyage of the Little Mermaid is also a show to see. Little ones will enjoy the Disney Jr. show.
I agree, miss Mouse. I love zoos and animals, so I can turn DAK into a two day park. Rather, into two half-days, because the park closes early most of the time anyway.

DHS I love, I think that park is underrated (post-epcotalyptic FW is crappier). You're right, there is always more to do at DHS than you'd think, especially for non-regulars.

With a five day hopper, I'd do:
MK 2
EPCOT 1.5
DHS 1
DAK .5
Oh, so little time!

The Empress Lilly

I think the Rainforest a bit tacky and fake. It is an outside company with an ill-matching vibe and looks.

In general though, I think DAK has some of the better WDW food options. Yak and Yeti is great (it is outside company too). And there are some good QS options, such as Pizzafari, Tamu Tamu and Flame Tree, where the quality of the atmosphere goes a long way to offset the quality of the food.

Last edited:

englanddg

One Little Spark...
Tusker is good for breakfast. Mealie Pap! mmmmmm

Yak and Yeti (not express), in my opinion, is the best restaurant at AK.

ratherbeinwdw

Don't forget The Muppets. It was nice that they had a new pre-show when we went in November.

Dustinius

Original Poster
If you have kids, make sure you plan a day or two to stay at the hotel and relax. Going to a park everyday for 4+ days can get very exhausting so plan a day to relax at the hotel!

Definitely planning 2 days off during our 8 day (5 day pass) stay. Just not sure what days to take off! We are attending MK on Feb. 4th ( a Tuesday) and crowd levels are very low for the remainder of the week and go up a bit on the weekend. This is based on the touring plans site. So it's up in the air whether or not to chill at the resort on the weekend or take a weekday off and the Saturday off. Can't plan everything though especially with ds5 and dd8. See how they're doing after day 2 and go from there. We did skip all the shows when we went to DL last year and won't do the same this year. So I will plan a full day at DHS and take it all in, and on our AK day, maybe go to Epcot for a few World showcases and illuminations once the park closes.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom