DHS Parking lot remodel and expansion

matt9112

Actually that's very much by design.

The best things in life require work or a journey to reach. Disney's Animal Kingdom is no different. Part of the storytelling is traveling through Oasis to reach the Tree of Life and Mother Earth. You're on a journey, leaving behind the world you knew to enter an Animal Kingdom that will teach and inspire you. After parking and entering the front gate, you're just beginning an adventure that will follow through in exciting and unpredictable ways.

Just a different perspective... ;)

I like this.

roj2323

Original Poster
bioreconstruct ‏@bioreconstruct 2h2 hours ago
Lights in Disney's Hollywood Studios parking can be seen in the tree clearing at Osceola Pwy. To be the new park entrance road.
C38I-ulXUAAzqH2.jpg
C38I_wCWAAAEIX0.jpg

discos

Does the parking expansion have any impact on the parade storage building? (thats if the storage buildings are even still around)

DisneyCane

As I said before, I think the parking decks died when Star Wars Land got moved to the back. Once they decided to go with a plan for these expansions that didn't require pushing into the current lots, they were never going to pay the coin to build the decks. And sadly I don't see the deck plan coming back any time soon. The only reason to do so now would be for some future expansion that was presumably even a bigger deal than Star Wars Land. Hard to imagine anything like that happening in the next ten years, at least.

I would assume that they try to avoid doing parking garages at all costs. They are extremely expensive to build on a per parking space basis. Therefore, they are only built when enough surface parking can't be created.

There is also additional maintenance cost for escalators and elevators. Unless you converted all the Studios parking to garage, you'd still have the tram operating expenses as well.

doctornick

I believe that parade was shipped to DCA in Anaheim, wasn't it? Unless they got a clone of the same parade?

Pixar Block Party Bash started in DCA (ran there from 2005-8) and the was shipped to DHS where it ran until 2011. But nothing replaced it, so it is likely still in the parade storage.

The Pixar Play Parade replaced Block Party Bash at DCA and is currently still running there.

DHSCM

Are the Block Party Bash / Countdown to Fun floats still there???
I havent been in the whole barn so I can't say for sure since it is pretty big. I do know (from being in there) that a good portion of is character costuming,props, and people who care and maintain the costumes. Since that barn is right behind two entertainment trailers.

roj2323

Original Poster
looks like they have the new entry road area now cleared of trees(top left):

Screen Shot 2017-02-24 at 2.55.03 AM.png

It also looks like they are making short work of installing the realigned road (center of photo) going around where the new costuming building is going to go. If you look closely it appears they were starting to pave the new segment while this photo was taken.

Also of note is the large area of the new parking that seems to be graded with a cream white color.(top center of photo) This may in fact be gravel starting to go in for the new parking area.

roj2323

Original Poster

danlb_2000

Premium Member
I don't think it's pilings in the traditional sense. I'm pretty sure it's more or less a stable material like clay thats being put in place. Apparently the process is called Dry soil mixing.

http://www.haywardbaker.com/solutions/techniques/dry-soil-mixing

Here's a another site with more detailed info on the process
https://www.raitoinc.com/technologies/single-large-diameter/

I was originally thinking something like this, but I don't see the tanks that would hold the material that is being mixed with the soil. Of course it's possible that the ground work is done and that machine shown in the pictures is doing something else.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom