DHS Parking lot remodel and expansion

danlb_2000

Premium Member
I see Walts plane there in February, but its gone in December. If they did move it somewhere on the property, wouldn't we have a picture of it being moved OR at its new location ( even it was backstage somewhere)? Could it have simply been destroyed?

It has been reported that it is in storage. The move would not have taken that long, so it's not surprising that some who would distribute a picture like that to the fan community didn't get a picture of it, especially since it was probably moved at night. It's against the rules for a CM to take pictures back stage. It happens occasionally but not often.

DDLand

At least its not as bad as Aninal Kingdom. If i hadnt seen the back side of everest from the bus, id say they were just dropping me off in the woods and charging me 90 dollars.
Actually that's very much by design.

The best things in life require work or a journey to reach. Disney's Animal Kingdom is no different. Part of the storytelling is traveling through Oasis to reach the Tree of Life and Mother Earth. You're on a journey, leaving behind the world you knew to enter an Animal Kingdom that will teach and inspire you. After parking and entering the front gate, you're just beginning an adventure that will follow through in exciting and unpredictable ways.

Just a different perspective... ;)

jmuboy

Actually that's very much by design.

The best things in life require work or a journey to reach. Disney's Animal Kingdom is no different. Part of the storytelling is traveling through Oasis to reach the Tree of Life and Mother Earth. You're on a journey, leaving behind the world you knew to enter an Animal Kingdom that will teach and inspire you. After parking and entering the front gate, you're just beginning an adventure that will follow through in exciting and unpredictable ways.

Just a different perspective... ;)

BINGO - I still say after DL in California that DAK is the best THEMED park Disney has stateside. Its lush, its theme areas are realistic and hyper themed, its theme areas (by in large) are hidden in the landscape from the parking lot AND one another. The whole park with its trails and winding walkways offer a "discovery" around every corner .......big and small discoveries from a vista or beautiful view or another e-ticket ride.

.....sorry, back on topic now.

MagicHappens1971

BINGO - I still say after DL in California that DAK is the best THEMED park Disney has stateside. Its lush, its theme areas are realistic and hyper themed, its theme areas (by in large) are hidden in the landscape from the parking lot AND one another. The whole park with its trails and winding walkways offer a "discovery" around every corner .......big and small discoveries from a vista or beautiful view or another e-ticket ride.

.....sorry, back on topic now.
Africa/Harambe is the most detailed and themed area of any theme park I've ever been to in my opinion

dgp602

It has been reported that it is in storage. The move would not have taken that long, so it's not surprising that some who would distribute a picture like that to the fan community didn't get a picture of it, especially since it was probably moved at night. It's against the rules for a CM to take pictures back stage. It happens occasionally but not often.
Makes sense! Thank you!!

danlb_2000

Premium Member
A permit was filed to day for this piece of land with the description "Surcharge Area" so it's safe to assume that this is where the new toll plaza will be. You can see where it will connect to the new entrance road at the bottom. Expiration date on this is March 31, 2018.

upload_2017-1-24_16-15-26.png

doctornick

Ok.....so no parking deck. Take those extra millions and build more rides and attractions inside DHS to makeup for it.

If only.

I actually like the lack of parking decks (surface lots are less intrusive) but this does limit the plans to build on the current parking which lessens the park improvements. Of course, someday they could easily build a park addition onto the parking that is currently being added if they needed the in park space and once they are parking, they won't need the same kind of development work to be functional as wetlands do. So, there's that.

roj2323

Original Poster
A permit was filed to day for this piece of land with the description "Surcharge Area" so it's safe to assume that this is where the new toll plaza will be. You can see where it will connect to the new entrance road at the bottom. Expiration date on this is March 31, 2018.

View attachment 185884

It only let me like this post once so here's the rest: LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE.

That said I'm excited to see this part of the project getting started as it's really going to improve the traffic flow in this otherwise horrid parking lot. If nothing else hopefully it will end the 30-45 minute traffic backups at the end of the night when the lot is emptying out.

zakattack99

In the Parks
No
With a Mach 2018 opening date this should move quickly. Wonder if they want the new Plaza open for Toy Story Land later that year.

msteel

View attachment 185884

Looks like they are covering up the canal?
Does it have transportation uses or just waterflow?

EDIT: I just looked at aerials and I can't see how anything could navigate on it. So I guess waterflow only.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
With a Mach 2018 opening date this should move quickly. Wonder if they want the new Plaza open for Toy Story Land later that year.

Unless you are referring to something else, the March 2018 date is the expiration date of the permit not the opening date. Although this area could be done by then, I can't see them getting the Victory/Osceola interchange complete by then which is key to opening the new entrance. Also, I forgot to mention that the project in the permit is described as "Victory Way Early Works" which indicates an initial phase of construction with more to follow.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Looks like they are covering up the canal?
Does it have transportation uses or just waterflow?

EDIT: I just looked at aerials and I can't see how anything could navigate on it. So I guess waterflow only.

The canal is just for storm water control and it will remain. Bridges will be built over it to connect to the parking lot.

zakattack99

In the Parks
No
Unless you are referring to something else, the March 2018 date is the expiration date of the permit not the opening date. Although this area could be done by then, I can't see them getting the Victory/Osceola interchange complete by then which is key to opening the new entrance. Also, I forgot to mention that the project in the permit is described as "Victory Way Early Works" which indicates an initial phase of construction with more to follow.

Thank you for clarification.

roj2323

Original Poster

They could get it done by then. They already started the earthwork and it only seems to take them about 6 months to build a bridge down here (nice change from Illinois where it's usually 2+ years) once they start stacking the concrete retaining walls. If they are setting bridge beams in September or October of this year (8 months away) the interchange could be mostly complete by March of 2018, just in time for TSL to be nearing completion.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
They could get it done by then. They already started the earthwork and it only seems to take them about 6 months to build a bridge down here (nice change from Illinois where it's usually 2+ years) once they start stacking the concrete retaining walls. If they are setting bridge beams in September or October of this year (8 months away) the interchange could be mostly complete by March of 2018, just in time for TSL to be nearing completion.

The tricky part here is that the intersection is being changes so that Osceola will get an overpass over Victory, so they will probably need to temporarily widen the intersection so that traffic can continue to pass while they build the bridge. Then they will also have to build three more bridges to carry the DHS entrance road over Osceola and Victory twice.

danlb_2000

Premium Member

I did some digging and found the bid documents for this project. The plan is to have "limited access" to the new DHS entrance complete by June 15, 2018 with full access by Sept 1, 2018. Most of the work at Victory is scheduled to be done by 12/17/2018 and at World Drive 11/1/2019.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom