DHS Makeover - What we know so far.....

ProjectXBlog

Carsland? Havent heard yes or no. It looks like there should be more land for them to use. I wasnt expecting one.... but the two family friendly rides are exactly what this park needs IMO. They need stuff for the smaller folks to do.
I'd like to think that my Bothans have more to offer but I believe their last note was to the effect of "Went to the Cantina for Blue Milk. Don't wait Up. Also putting it on your tab. Don't ask for details, we escaped with our jobs."

Name change? Meh. Doesnt bother me personally, also havent heard anything about it. Makes better sense to me on any rebranding towards when construction is done.

Will there be more? I hope so. Gonna have to see how this plays out.
fingers crossed they name the park "mgm mercy, ioa so thirsty"

MerlinTheGoat

BTW, considering what attractions they've closed and/or considered for removal, there should be a good amount of space left over even after Toy Story Land and Star Wars. This has been mentioned by others already. Doesn't necessarily mean anything given that it's not unprecedented for Disney to shut down attractions and leave the space bare forever (River Country, Wonders of Life, parts of Imagination etc), but I would hope they use all the land available to them. This park needs all it can get. And again I hope that includes more for Pixar as well. I'm finally somewhat optimistic that Star Wars at least is in good hands by now.

As we've discussed on this forum before, highly immersive and well themed environments are always welcome and a must. But I do expect good rides alongside them. Both are integral, otherwise we just end up (like Little Mermaid) with a pretty facade/queue and meh ride.

WDW95

Why does everyone think that DHS will need a parking garage? There is plenty of room to expand the park without having to take over the parking lot. I don't see what adding a structure would help the park as the current parking lots are way south of the parks. If anything only the entrance road should be moved.

MerlinTheGoat

Why does everyone think that DHS will need a parking garage? There is plenty of room to expand the park without having to take over the parking lot. I don't see what adding a structure would help the park as the current parking lots are way south of the parks. If anything only the entrance road should be moved.
I initially thought that the idea was to convert part of the parking lot into expansion space for DHS. And I recall a post made by @marni1971 earlier today for how that might work if they went that direction. A parking garage making up for that lost parking space.

I'm not sure if that's actually intended anymore though. It wouldn't seem like a couple of approximately 14 acre expansions would necessitate the parking lot land, considering that they seem to be repurposing enough existing attractions/structures to make way for the new stuff.

Unless there really is other stuff we don't know yet, they do seem to be getting moderately better at plugging their leaks lately...

Last edited:

Lynn Stephens

...At least it looks like Disney realizes the need to go big with Star Wars. I wonder who knocked some sense into them finally.
Universal when Potterland exceeded expectations. They out Disneyed Disney. Now WDI is reminding them who created imagineering and this is how its done.

I know we've only seen concept sketches, but it looks like if they pull off Star Wars Land the way its drawn, it will be over a Billion for that alone. The costuming, food development (which included my precious blue milk), droids, attractions, theming, backdrops...its going to be very costly.

Bairstow

Universal when Potterland exceeded expectations. They out Disneyed Disney. Now WDI is reminding them who created imagineering and this is how its done.

I know we've only seen concept sketches, but it looks like if they pull off Star Wars Land the way its drawn, it will be over a Billion for that alone. The costuming, food development (which included my precious blue milk), droids, attractions, theming, backdrops...its going to be very costly.

Time will tell.
By the time Star Wars Land opens, Universal Creative will likely have opened 4-5 additional major projects.

Lynn Stephens

Time will tell.
By the time Star Wars Land opens, Universal Creative will likely have opened 4-5 additional major projects.
Definitely, Universal is doing great things. Outside of Marvel Island being rethemed to Deadpool Island, nothing has me excited like Star Wars. I grew up on those films, saw Jedi in the theater, played with the toys for years. I am really looking forward to Skull Island/Kong and seeing what they do next. In another thread I said this and I believe it, "we are so lucky as theme park fans to have two companies creating amazing experiences."

Lastly, Diagon Alley is my favorite "land" of any park ever. I'm not a Potter nerd but I am impressed at what an amazing job Uni did on it.

MerlinTheGoat

Time will tell.
Agreed. While I trust the comments of those who say Star Wars should end up being impressive, Universal will have numerous other projects completed by then. Disney still needs its "Potter Swatter", but by 2020 they'll also need a Kong Konqueror, Nintendo Neutralizer, Marvel Machete, Volcano Vaporizer and god knows what else they have planned in excess (more rides, lands and perhaps even a third gate underway by then as has been rumored for a while now).

Haymarket2008

I think the possibility of Star Wars land opening before 2020 is very real. With Episode 8 coming out in 2017 and Episode 9 in 2019, they'll want to cash in as much as possible. The "stuff" they are giving us to hold us over (Season of the Force, Launch Bay) isn't too extensive. They must be fast tracking this. Avatar construction is a different story because they announced before they had any idea of what they were going to do and all of the delays the upcoming films have had impacted any progress.

MerlinTheGoat

The hyperbole is strong with this one
I don't think it's much hyperbole. There are three "big projects" already known and some under construction as we speak. All intended to open before Star Wars hits in the early 2020's. Who even knows what else is coming within that time frame between now and 2020-2021 (or whenever Star Wars is finished, assuming it's not delayed for years like Avatar Land)? Plenty of rumors though, 4-5 major additions before DHS is done actually doesn't sound like it's entirely out of the realm of possibility. We know at least three should be though.

Oh goody, I got suckered into a Universal debate, I hate when that happens. Photodave won't be happy, sorry man...

YodaMan

BTW, considering what attractions they've closed and/or considered for removal, there should be a good amount of space left over even after Toy Story Land and Star Wars. This has been mentioned by others already. Doesn't necessarily mean anything given that it's not unprecedented for Disney to shut down attractions and leave the space bare forever (River Country, Wonders of Life, parts of Imagination etc), but I would hope they use all the land available to them. This park needs all it can get. And again I hope that includes more for Pixar as well. I'm finally somewhat optimistic that Star Wars at least is in good hands by now.

As we've discussed on this forum before, highly immersive and well themed environments are always welcome and a must. But I do expect good rides alongside them. Both are integral, otherwise we just end up (like Little Mermaid) with a pretty facade/queue and meh ride.

^this. It's not that I'm disappointed in the announcements, just caught off guard on what was announced and what seems to be missing.

I was expecting to hear nothing about DHS, but hoping to maybe hear about the name change and maybe some new shows/rethemes. Instead we got confirmation on Toy Story and Star Wars and everything else was left out. Looking at the Toy Story art is confusing, but it seems to just cover some of the current backstage area (costuming/props from Backlot, office space, possible OMD/Sparrow/Mermaid area). It doesn't look like it even comes close to the Backlot tank or trams. And then we have Star Wars coming in at 14 acres. Which is large, but doesn't come close to the rest of the space that had been discussed. If it sticks to Indy and Backlot Express and the Echo area, then SoA and LMA and Catastrophe Canyon are unaccounted for. If it expands towards LMA, then Muppets is suddenly on the chopping block and Indy somehow is still chugging along. Or they do in fact expand into the parking lot in which case there's far too much unaccounted for.

TL;DR - Glad we're getting Star Wars and Toy Story, but fully expecting to hear much much more in terms of other new offerings.

fgmnt

The only frame of reference we have for something like this is the DCA makeover. I know it's not entirely similar, but that park was not nearly in as bad of shape as the Studios are now when its official 5 year makeover launched. In 2007 the park had California Screamin, Grizzly Peak/Condor Flats, a ToT, and a family area with TSMM already in development. It has 5 attractions that go from a moderately good Disney showing up to a class-act Disney attraction. The addition of SWL and TSL are going to put the park from its current status of "imploding" to "improving" over the next 4 years. The optimist in me thinks that there is still 1 more major addition in the southeast corner and one moderate addition in the southwest corner on the table for the park that will come after they pump some life back into it. The fanboy says it will be something original, immersive, and the class of Imagineering.

Mike S

Agreed. While I trust the comments of those who say Star Wars should end up being impressive, Universal will have numerous other projects completed by then. Disney still needs its "Potter Swatter", but by 2020 they'll also need a Kong Konqueror, Nintendo Neutralizer, Marvel Machete, Volcano Vaporizer and god knows what else they have planned in excess (more rides, lands and perhaps even a third gate underway by then as has been rumored for a while now).
Those deserve a like :)

Mike S

Carsland? Havent heard yes or no. It looks like there should be more land for them to use. I wasnt expecting one.... but the two family friendly rides are exactly what this park needs IMO. They need stuff for the smaller folks to do.
I'd like to think that my Bothans have more to offer but I believe their last note was to the effect of "Went to the Cantina for Blue Milk. Don't wait Up. Also putting it on your tab. Don't ask for details, we escaped with our jobs."

Name change? Meh. Doesnt bother me personally, also havent heard anything about it. Makes better sense to me on any rebranding towards when construction is done.

Will there be more? I hope so. Gonna have to see how this plays out.
That Slinky coaster looks pretty fun too. Looking forward to that one.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom