DHS Makeover - What we know so far.....

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
And if they had planned for expansion and to service growth they would have things rolling out every year, not 5 year gaps between major openings. It is good for now and into the near future but has the mindset of stock buybacks over investment in infrastructure to service the paying/supporting customer really changed?

Nope this stuff is just a head fake, If WDW was spending north of 500 million per year on this project I'd say priorities have changed but the reality is the actual spend per year is only about 350 million while 6 Billion is allocated to Stock Buybacks. I'd say the priorities are obvious

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Do you never get tired of being so negative.

I'm very tired of being so negative, But Disney for the past 5 years or so has done nothing but cut corners and produce a sub-par product compared to years past. One reason Disneyland is so much better than WDW is that in the local area there are thousands of people like me who are disinclined to give Disney a pass on sub-par products and experiences.

Yet at WDW people are inclined to give disney a pass on it's current performance because it promises stuff a half decade out, The TRUE fan of anything holds the object of their fandom to the highest standard. Anything less is simply cheerleading.

Just imagine a few hundred well read blogs telling the TRUTH about what's going on at WDW, WDW would be forced to improve as the 'Mom's Panel' with Fadra of less than 2000 page views would no longer be able to create a false narrative about how everything is wonderful at WDW.

JediMasterMatt

Real estate will go quickly with two giant show buildings to house the new attractions.here is a picture over at the Avatar project with one show building and ten acres.
View attachment 122405

Since SWL was designed around DL's needs, a great majority of it is going to be indoors and under cover due to the fireworks fall out zone.

This means that those big show buildings are going to be near the parking lots and will require some work to hide... or just a bunch of go-away-green.

ToTBellHop

Since SWL was designed around DL's needs, a great majority of it is going to be indoors and under cover due to the fireworks fall out zone.

This means that those big show buildings are going to be near the parking lots and will require some work to hide... or just a bunch of go-away-green.
They'll be green or painted as "soundstages." Like the rest of DHS.

Jon81uk

I think they should add Willy Wonka Land. Is there anyone on earth who wouldn't want to go to Willy Wonkas Chocolate Factory ( the Gene Wilder one )?! And the amount of candy that could be sold is enough to sustain this land alone!!

It's a Warner Bros film so chance of Disney getting the rights is tiny.

Alton Towers theme park in the UK does have a ride based on the book, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. But its not great, just looks like the animatronic budget was tiny and therefore there is lots of empty space. But you do finish off with a great glass elevator ride.

DVCOwner

A Long Time DVC Member
Just imagine a few hundred well read blogs telling the TRUTH about what's going on at WDW,

But the problem is that you do not tell the TRUTH. You blend the facts and the numbers to tell the story you want to tell. You look into the upcoming projects and predict doom and gloom. Disney has dropped the ball on a lot of stuff at Walt Disney World in the past few years, but the money and programs that are now underway will bring a lot of great things to the resort. I remember everyone saying Disney Springs would not happen, the boat ride at Pandora would not happen, Star Wars Land was not coming, and Toy Story would not happen. Now that these are all underway you talk about "PLYWOOD CARDSTOCK and TEMPRA" before work even begins. Tell the TRUTH, not just one side of the truth and maybe someone will listen.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
But the problem is that you do not tell the TRUTH. You blend the facts and the numbers to tell the story you want to tell. You look into the upcoming projects and predict doom and gloom. Disney has dropped the ball on a lot of stuff at Walt Disney World in the past few years, but the money and programs that are now underway will bring a lot of great things to the resort. I remember everyone saying Disney Springs would not happen, the boat ride at Pandora would not happen, Star Wars Land was not coming, and Toy Story would not happen. Now that these are all underway you talk about "PLYWOOD CARDSTOCK and TEMPRA" before work even begins. Tell the TRUTH, not just one side of the truth and maybe someone will listen.

I think PLYWOOD, CARDSTOCK and TEMPRA even though they were intended as a pointed joke perfectly describes the 'Launch Bay' and before that 'Frozen Summer Fun' You have a welcome center devoted to the most iconic movie property of the 20'th century and the sets are on par with a college production. It's a FACT that Disney's capital expenditures spending has never been lower.

I find a bit of Bombast gets the message accross, For many posters the fact that disney tosses them a used bone every once in a while means everything is OK with disney

DVCOwner

A Long Time DVC Member
It's a FACT that Disney's capital expenditures spending has never been lower.

With spending on Disney Springs, Pandora, River of Lights, Toy Story, two Star Wars Lands, Disneyland expansions at Hong Kong, and the new park at Shanghai (40+ percent Disney); I can not believe that Disney's capital expenditures have never been lower.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
With spending on Disney Springs, Pandora, River of Lights, Toy Story, two Star Wars Lands, Disneyland expansions at Hong Kong, and the new park at Shanghai (40+ percent Disney); I can not believe that Disney's capital expenditures have never been lower.

It's not hard to prove that this is the case just look at Disney's 10-K filings with the SEC for the past 10 years, Every year it's been lower or check on @ParentsOf4 's many graphs on the subject. Right now Disney's domestic capex is around 8.8% expressed as a percentage of revenue. Cedar Fair is at 12.9% expressed the same way and UNI's is around 20-25%

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom