DHS Makeover - What we know so far.....

doctornick

Buzz sends you to like space and stuff...MILF is fantasy-based. A better comparison would be "Why isn't Laff Floor as Sci-Fi(ish) as Stitch?" but even then, Stitch would come out ahead (space alien).

In the end, yes, the entirety of Tomorrowland is a juxtaposition of oddity at this point. It's been a "thing" especially at WDW as Future World at Epcot is so similar in conception (kind of like Jungle Cruise vs. DAK). It's a place where no great solutions present themselves, and the attractions there remain popular enough that they don't have an urgent need to address the overall conceptual issues it presents.

I think the answer is to just go full throttle into sci-fi fantasyland and making TL into a space port and making all the attractions fit into that type of outer space theme. CoP would be an outlier, but most of the other stuff could fit pretty easily (even the Speedway, if kept, could be made more futuristic with the same general ride). With Future World around, it's somewhat duplicating themes to have TL be an idealized version/prediction of the future which isn't really around much anyway.

Goofyernmost

Buzz sends you to like space and stuff...MILF is fantasy-based. A better comparison would be "Why isn't Laff Floor as Sci-Fi(ish) as Stitch?" but even then, Stitch would come out ahead (space alien).
I'm afraid that I don't follow in detail the backstories of all the IP's that show up. Couldn't care less as long as they are entertaining, however, it seems to me that some of the characters from Monsters Inc. look suspiciously like the characters in Buzz. Not to mention Buzz is a living toy. (I'm sure that's not Sci-Fi at all) Has it ever been mentioned or has it been implied that the Monsters, Inc. characters aren't alien beings. They sure look alien to me. That with Stitch, which if it were live action would definitely be considered Sci-Fi. I'm not being sarcastic here (well the comment on the living toys might be just a little), but, I don't see how one fits and the others do not.

At this point if there is anything out of place in Tomorrowland at all it would have to be CoP. I plan to keep quiet about that because I know if it were to go, it would never be seen again, so I will tolerate it as a tribute attraction that happens to be in Tomorrowland. I have argued that the Grand Prix track is the future of the kids that enjoy it as much as they do, so, to me, it also fits. I'm also completely bewildered about the argument that Pixar doesn't belong in MK. Of all places it is the best fit in the entire resort complex. Like it or not, Pixar is a Disney IP now. It's based on cartoons (like Snow White, Peter Pan, etc.), how can it not belong in Magic Kingdom. Makes no sense to me.

Rich_riv16

But the Launch Bay is not a permanent attraction. It's clear on the other side of the park from Star Wars, it will be used as a "placeholder/welcome center" type thing until the actual lands open. It won't be there by 2021.

That said, the animation courtyard just doesn't fit in with the direction the park is going, so I wouldn't expect the remnants of the original park to stay there much longer.
But the thing is where would it go in Star Wars land when its complete when there's two new attractions a cantina shops Jedi training and star tours you couldnt be able to stick it in that area of park even in SoA because that would be demolished for a possible Cars Land and Toy Story Land. Think about it. When practically most of the shell of the park is getting reimagined there's no place for it over in Star Wars land

FigmentJedi

I'm afraid that I don't follow in detail the backstories of all the IP's that show up. Couldn't care less as long as they are entertaining, however, it seems to me that some of the characters from Monsters Inc. look suspiciously like the characters in Buzz. Not to mention Buzz is a living toy. (I'm sure that's not Sci-Fi at all) Has it ever been mentioned or has it been implied that the Monsters, Inc. characters aren't alien beings. They sure look alien to me. That with Stitch, which if it were live action would definitely be considered Sci-Fi. I'm not being sarcastic here (well the comment on the living toys might be just a little), but, I don't see how one fits and the others do not.
Monsters Inc is set inside a Faerie Realm-esque pocket dimension.
Extras on the original DVD describe the backstory Pixar created during production with Monsters having originally been some hominid species that our ancient ancestors drove out to sea. They found a mystic island and were transformed into creatures of various shapes and sizes when eating the vegetation there. When realizing how frightening they had become, one monster proposed scaring the crud out of the human tribes in revenge and they've been doing it ever since, the whole energy production angle becoming a more practical by-product of it.

Might be kinda apocryphal, but hey, it's not like Pixar's done further enough development on the franchise to really contradict that.

AEfx

But the thing is where would it go in Star Wars land when its complete when there's two new attractions a cantina shops Jedi training and star tours you couldnt be able to stick it in that area of park even in SoA because that would be demolished for a possible Cars Land and Toy Story Land. Think about it. When practically most of the shell of the park is getting reimagined there's no place for it over in Star Wars land

It's not a permanent attraction.

It's a sort of "Welcome/Preview Center" for Star Wars.

After Star Wars actually opens, it will no longer be necessary.

What is making this so difficult to understand?

AEfx

I'm afraid that I don't follow in detail the backstories of all the IP's that show up. Couldn't care less as long as they are entertaining, however, it seems to me that some of the characters from Monsters Inc. look suspiciously like the characters in Buzz.

On Buzz you fly on a spaceship into space and shoot at space aliens.

That's the difference.

MILF is a comedy show with monsters (not aliens, in any case) but there is no indication that it has anything to do with the future or space travel, etc. which is what Tomorrowland is supposed to be about.

One could argue the merits of MILF's inclusion all day, but clearly, Buzz is a space-themed attraction which at least somewhat fits into the land.

msteel

That's the difference.

MILF is a comedy show with monsters (not aliens, in any case) but there is no indication that it has anything to do with the future or space travel, etc. which is what Tomorrowland is supposed to be about.

One could argue the merits of MILF's inclusion all day, but clearly, Buzz is a space-themed attraction which at least somewhat fits into the land.

Not saying this is enough, but I always found a bit of a parallel between:

So we put that kid back where she came from, and she helped us to make a better tomorrow today"
The COP song.

G00fyDad

That's the difference.

Unless you subscribe to the theory that Monsters Inc is a futuristic tale where monsters govern the earth now and they use the doors to travel back in time to children's bedrooms. But...... I digress. :D

doctornick

Maybe it's going in the Flex Theatre temporarily? The construction for the theatre has expanded further than I expected and it seems more and more like it will be an on-stage area instead of something that's semi-accessible. I know a while back there were rumors that Theatre of the Stars would get enclosed, so perhaps the Villains show will start in the Flex Theatre once it opens and then Beauty and the Beast will close and then once the theatre is enclosed the Villains show will move to the Theatre of the Stars and the Flex Theatre becomes convention space?
You were suggesting a preposterous musical chairs game at DHS involving geriatric stage shows. I took it merely one step further. All that is happening now is BatB is being replaced.

I don't really see @tjjwelch comment as being that preposterous. Maybe I'm missing something.

The Theater of the Stars (BatB's location) is rumored to be getting renovations to become enclosed. If that were going to happen, I would think it would be before they put in a new (apparently Villains themed) show there so the new show can be tailor made for the enclosed space. However, it's conceivable that Disney might not want to lose the capacity of BatB going away without having an immediate replacement -- given the awful state of the DHS -- and might just put a temporary version of the Villains show in the Flex Theater until the enclosed Theater of the Stars is ready.

While my gut would tell me that that is unlikely and Disney will just save the money of having one less show for a while, it's not unreasonable. Heck, the exact same thing happened when BatB played in the Premiere Theater while the current Theater of the Stars was being built, then BatB moved to the new theater. So, it's not unprecedented at all.

Edit: Furthermore, we just recently had the Frozen Sing-a-long switch locations in the park.

Last edited:

PhotoDave219

Original Poster
I don't really see @tjjwelch comment as being that preposterous. Maybe I'm missing something.

The Theater of the Stars (BatB's location) is rumored to be getting renovations to become enclosed. If that were going to happen, I would think it would be before they put in a new (apparently Villains themed) show there so the new show can be tailor made for the enclosed space. However, it's conceivable that Disney might not want to lose the capacity of BatB going away without having an immediate replacement -- given the awful state of the DHS -- and might just put a temporary version of the Villains show in the Flex Theater until the enclosed Theater of the Stars is ready.

While my gut would tell me that that is unlikely and Disney will just save the money of having one less show for a while, it's not unreasonable. Heck, the exact same thing happened when BatB played in the Premiere Theater the Theater of the Stars was being built, then BatB moved to the new theater. So, it's not unprecedented at all.

I believe that happened but it's before I ever set foot in the studios

doctornick

According to @peter11435 TSL will not go down as far as the Animation Courtyard...

It will completely take out jack Sparrow and almost all of One Mans Dream. Mermaid (the building at least) is safe. The land will begin roughly where the entrance to OMD is now.

Yes, I'm intrigued by this and curious as to the final plans. It seems plausible that they can remove OMD/Jack Sparrow and have plenty of space (along with the already existing breezeway) to provide a guest path into Toy Story Land. OMD is connected to Mermaid, but it's not like it's impossible to remove part of a building, especially when there are already walls separating the parts.

So, if this is true, it means Animation Courtyard is remaining in some form (perhaps not as "Animation Courtyard" but as something, separate from TSL). So, then the question is... what will it be? Disney Jr appears to be sticking around in that space. The Animation building is going to remain -- at first as Star Wars Launch Bay/Blue Sky Studios but that will likely eventually change once Star Wars Land opens. If the Mermaid building remains, will it continue as a Mermaid show or become something different?

I'd like to see the area remain devoted to Disney animation films (as opposed to Pixar, which will be elsewhere in the park). I wonder if they would be willing/interested in tearing down the Animation Bldg once Star Wars Launch Bay leaves in order to open up the Courtyard, allow the area to add more attractions and -- if only -- connect the area to the RNR area to help guest flow in the park. Sure that would be some significant long term planning, but I hope the master plan considers things like that for the overall betterment of the park.

Capsin4

So, if this is true, it means Animation Courtyard is remaining in some form (perhaps not as "Animation Courtyard" but as something, separate from TSL). So, then the question is... what will it be? Disney Jr appears to be sticking around in that space. The Animation building is going to remain -- at first as Star Wars Launch Bay/Blue Sky Studios but that will likely eventually change once Star Wars Land opens.

I know I read a rumor somewhere that the entrance to DJr was eventually moving to Sunset to get it away from Pixar stuff. If that has legs, it implies Pixar expanding north of TSL...unless the rumor is based on changed plans.

Brer Panther

That's the difference.

To be fair, If You Had Wings and its pre-Buzz replacements didn't really have much to do with the future anyway.

Castle Cake Apologist

That's the difference.

*Raises hand*

Per the official backstory of Tomorrowland that I was taught when working there:

"Monster's, Inc. Laugh Floor - The Tomorrowland Science Center is currently hosting an open house by a visiting company known as Monsters, Incorporated. This outside company has found a way to create extremely efficient energy by harnessing human laughter and has come to Tomorrowland to demonstrate this discovery. By working with technology created by XS-tech in the mid-1990's, they transport visitors to their factory in the far-off city of Monstropolis by bringing them through a "teleportation door" (the first and only of its kind). Here, humans are treated to a comedy show by some of the factory's top comedians and are shown how their laughter can power an entire city."

....not saying it's great, but it is what it is. At least an attempt is made for it to fit within the cohesive theme of the land as a whole.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Nearmap.com recently updated their aerial photos of DHS to August of this year. Initially I didn't see any changes to the backlot tour area, but I did just notice one change. These large tanks were removed. I assume these held the fuel that was used for the Catastrophe Canyon fire effects.

December 2014
TanksBefore.JPG

August 2015
Tanks.jpg

ULPO46

Nearmap.com recently updated their aerial photos of DHS to August of this year. Initially I didn't see any changes to the backlot tour area, but I did just notice one change. These large tanks were removed. I assume these held the fuel that was used for the Catastrophe Canyon fire effects.

December 2014
View attachment 108545

August 2015
View attachment 108546
just the first of many changes that will be coming to the old backlot tour. All of that will be gone and replaced with something. Half the old area will become the new TSL. The other half will be converted to something else in the near future. Little by little props are being sold to private investors and other companies. The Jet is remaining for now but will be moved off property sometime in the future.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
just the first of many changes that will be coming to the old backlot tour. All of that will be gone and replaced with something. Half the old area will become the new TSL. The other half will be converted to something else in the near future. Little by little props are being sold to private investors and other companies. The Jet is remaining for now but will be moved off property sometime in the future.

It was a little surprising that after almost a year all the big props are still there.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom