DHS Makeover - What we know so far.....

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Interesting permit today for 501 Stage Lane which is the address of AFI. The permit is for "Permanent Prop Installation". The contractor is
MVB & Associates which is not one I am familiar with. From their web site they seem to be just a general construction contractor. I would have thought this building would be on the chopping block in the not to distant future so I am not sure what they could be installing.

ULPO46

I was asking bout the upgrades to the existing Star Tours attraction. Are they building a new one? Why would they build a new Star Tours?
Like most people have stated, and everyone in Burbank knows. Nothing will be updated until after the new release. And the new attractions wont be unveiled until the grand opening of the new lands. There are two plans I have seen for the new Millennium Falcon Ride. One which is another Star Tours ride, the second being a mission space style ride where guest pilot the Falcon. But both are getting negative feedback so it's back to the drawing boards.

dstrawn9889

well it is attached to soundstage 1 IIRC... maybe the queue will be extended out that way and have Potatohead there, instead of in the way to the 'new exit'... EDIT::looking back at the maps this is not correct. there is a flyover, from the walking tour part of backstage... maybe they want to use the flyover and walkway terraces in the SS for something?

dstrawn9889

Like most people have stated, and everyone in Burbank knows. Nothing will be updated until after the new release. And the new attractions wont be unveiled until the grand opening of the new lands. There are two plans I have seen for the new Millennium Falcon Ride. One which is another Star Tours ride, the second being a mission space style ride where guest pilot the Falcon. But both are getting negative feedback so it's back to the drawing boards.
LOLS one being a simulator pod ride, the other a KUKA arm centrifuge. they need to go with Forbiddens' ride system, mobile KUKA and a mix of screen and AA
f90ba68e81e8d6de5d2c90dcd4f7ad11.jpg

ULPO46

LOLS one being a simulator pod ride, the other a KUKA arm centrifuge. they need to go with Forbiddens' ride system, mobile KUKA and a mix of screen and AA
f90ba68e81e8d6de5d2c90dcd4f7ad11.jpg
That's the first time I've heard of this one. but I don't think it would work for a journey through space.

DisDan

Forgive me for my ignorance, but how could Disney go and announce a new SWL and not already have greenlit plans for the attractions in said lands? I mean did the BOD just say go and build whatever you want, budget approved?

ULPO46

Forgive me for my ignorance, but how could Disney go and announce a new SWL and not already have greenlit plans for the attractions in said lands? I mean did the BOD just say go and build whatever you want, budget approved?
Not really if you paid attention to the plans there really wasn't any standing out attractions. Remember when Avatar was anounced, nothing was planned then. Something can get announced yet be worked through until the end. The only land that already is basically complete is Toy Story as most of the rides from hong kong are just getting an upgrade.

DisDan

Not really if you paid attention to the plans there really wasn't any standing out attractions. Remember when Avatar was anounced, nothing was planned then. Something can get announced yet be worked through until the end. The only land that already is basically complete is Toy Story as most of the rides from hong kong are just getting an upgrade.

You have confused me more now, so SWL announced and budget approved but there are no concrete plans for any attractions yet? The attractions in TSL in DHS are just upgrades to which attractions in HKL exactly?

ULPO46

Look Avatar is Iger's vanity project all he sees is 'Biggest Box Office' in history and he thinks it's a GUARANTEED success, The reason this Ferngully rehash was a box office smash was it brought the first 3D system which worked and did not give the viewer a migraine so the visuals were amazing, It was a groundbreaking achievement in cinema akin what 'The Jazz Singer' did with WORKING synchronized sound neither were great movies but they set box office records because of what their technology added to the movie experience.

Because Iger is fundamentally non-creative and additionally has no respect for creatives he does not understand the Star Wars experience which spans multiple generations and has fan fiction as well as the 501'st Legion.

In Yoda speak 'Iger understands NOT the power of the force' If WDW would shoot the bloody lock off their wallet and BUILD a SW land worthy of the name, With Mos Eisley and Endor (yes Endor, Hoth would be awesome but doing Hoth in FL well...) Endor you can actually DO in florida with real trees and foliage, Dagobah is another possible but the mists would require much CO2 smoke and/or misters to make it realistic.

Would a speeder bike chase through the forests of Endor (modified Door Coaster concept) be awesome or what.

But I don't expect anything to get built at WDW under the Iger regime.
Amen. Gosh if you guys could see how excited the new generation of imagineers feel about this. Some of the craziest never before done tech has been thought of. We even have interactive R2 units but they, The BOD, just aren't taking them seriously since they lack the imagery of what can be done within budget.

ULPO46

You have confused me more now, so SWL announced and budget approved but there are no concrete plans for any attractions yet? The attractions in TSL in DHS are just upgrades to which attractions in HKL exactly?
Pretty much so plans can be tweaked what is concrete is a cantina style restaurant. As for rides there are too many ideas. For toy story yes pretty much with maybe and attraction. Either way the budget of 3 billion for this project doesn't even hit 3 billion for what will be built. This is only phase one. the 3 billion will be used towards projects down the road. these t lands are only band aids.

ULPO46

Believe me Iger want's a legacy. Avatar wont be that. He bought Lucasfilm, he wants to wow with SWL. It won't suck, but it wont disappoint either.

andysol

Huh? There isn't one HKDL ride being plussed over here. They're nothing like HKDL.

Mikejakester

If those are the 2 ideas, I am glad they went back to the drawing boards... I really find it Lazy when theme parks re-use the same technology and re-theme it *Cough* (Transformers/Spiderman) *Cough*. We don't need another motion simulator (Star Tours) ride... I am already dreading what I am seeing with the Avatar (Soaring 2.0) ride. Gringotts was a nice mix of technology. I would not expect anything less than that on an e-ride in SWL. This is stressing me out... :hungover: and to think we got half a decade to go.

Lynn Stephens

Believe me Iger want's a legacy. Avatar wont be that. He bought Lucasfilm, he wants to wow with SWL. It won't suck, but it wont disappoint either.
Iger already has an outstanding legacy. Beginning with him closing the deal to own Pixar, then to purchasing Marvel and lastly Lucasfilm. If you look at box office numbers (not even including merchandising) these purchases were absolute gold.

If we are talking theme park legacy only...he fixed the built-on-the-cheap DCA, brought New Fantasyland (which is better than no-new Fantasyland), Pandora to AK and of course a funded plan to fix DHS which is the most broken American Disney Park. Not all the decisions were perfect, but it's better than what we had before he came along.

ToTBellHop

Huh? There isn't one HKDL ride being plussed over here. They're nothing like HKDL.
You could argue Slinky is "inspired' by a ride elsewhere but quite the upgrade. Like how DLP's Space Mountain is "inspired" by ours. The Buzz ride is completely novel with a ride system from DCA.

andysol

Iger already has an outstanding legacy. Beginning with him closing the deal to own Pixar, then to purchasing Marvel and lastly Lucasfilm. If you look at box office numbers (not even including merchandising) these purchases were absolute gold.

If we are talking theme park legacy only...he fixed the built-on-the-cheap DCA, brought New Fantasyland (which is better than no-new Fantasyland), Pandora to AK and of course a funded plan to fix DHS which is the most broken American Disney Park. Not all the decisions were perfect, but it's better than what we had before he came along.

I'm partially with you.

Yes, Disney is stronger than it's ever been and there's no doubt Iger's legacy will be his acquisitions. They were brilliant- people who would argue otherwise are just flat out wrong. He's also been very good about getting the right people in the right positions for the company. That's what a leader should do, right?

But for the parks- while I agree it will be better the day he leaves then than the day he started- let's not forget the decade and a half that it got completely shat on. It's coming around- but only due to the fact it was desperately needed.

Ignohippo

When it comes to theme parks, it doesn't matter if Star Wars is a much larger IP than Avatar. It will increase DAK's hours and overall attendance pretty significantly imo.

Not that Star Wars won't do the same, but there's only so many people who can afford to fly down to FL and it will have likely opened in DL before DHS, so the die hards will have already seen it if they REALLY wanted to see it that bad.

It's not about about attendance to the theme parks. It's about with property will bet people to spend $5,000+ on their magical Disney vacation – the hotels, the merchandise, the Disney Dining Plans, etc.

How many families will now save for years to spend a week at WDW to visit a SW Land?

On the other hand, how many families will save to visit Avatar? Easy. None. Zip. Zilch.

Does it now make AK more desirable for one day of a vacation? Absolutely. Does it motivate someone to spend thousands on a Disney vacation? Absolutely not.

Ignohippo

Look Avatar is Iger's vanity project all he sees is 'Biggest Box Office' in history and he thinks it's a GUARANTEED success, The reason this Ferngully rehash was a box office smash was it brought the first 3D system which worked and did not give the viewer a migraine so the visuals were amazing, It was a groundbreaking achievement in cinema akin what 'The Jazz Singer' did with WORKING synchronized sound neither were great movies but they set box office records because of what their technology added to the movie experience.

Because Iger is fundamentally non-creative and additionally has no respect for creatives he does not understand the Star Wars experience which spans multiple generations and has fan fiction as well as the 501'st Legion.

In Yoda speak 'Iger understands NOT the power of the force' If WDW would shoot the bloody lock off their wallet and BUILD a SW land worthy of the name, With Mos Eisley and Endor (yes Endor, Hoth would be awesome but doing Hoth in FL well...) Endor you can actually DO in florida with real trees and foliage, Dagobah is another possible but the mists would require much CO2 smoke and/or misters to make it realistic.

Would a speeder bike chase through the forests of Endor (modified Door Coaster concept) be awesome or what.

But I don't expect anything to get built at WDW under the Iger regime.

I don't think it's a vanity project as much as it was Iger and Staggs clutching at straws for an IP after losing out on Potter. It was a decent fit for AK, which made it that much more appealing.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom