DHS, Disney Visa & WL area Questions!

New2WDW

Original Poster
I am trying to gather info for our upcoming Fall Vacation, so if anyone has any comments on the following please do tell:

First of all my family is Myself (The Dad), wife and DD11 and DD8. We will be staying at ASMovies for 10 nights/11 days.

DHS - We have only been here twice and have never taken in the TS restaurants. We have reservations for Sci-Fi at Lunch but were wondering about some of the others. Any thoughts?

Disney Visa - My wife received her card the other day and we are excited about saving points and the other benefits mentioned, like special meet-n-greets, discounts, etc. Anyone want to share on any of these benefits?

WL area - We are going to try the Whispering Canyon for dinner this year for the first time and we were going to wander around the Resort to see it as well since we have never been there. Are there any other things that would be good to do while over in that area?

We will be staying for our longest time this year and would love to venture out into the World some more!

Keith :wave:

WDWFigment

DHS--50s Primetime is your best bet for theming, with Sci Fi close behind (although there are a lot of reports of subpar food at Sci Fi). Brown Derby is overpriced/rated, in my opinion.

Visa--meet and greet at Epcot gives you a free picture; World of Disney gives you 20% off purchases of $75 or more (I think), but then you can't take advantage of whatever "free" or $5 w/ purchase offer they have. There are also financing offers, etc. There is information on the Chase website under "special offers from Disney". There are also other offers for DL.

Mick G.

We always plan to eat lunch at the WL on each trip, partly for the food and fun at the Whispering Canyon, and partly for the atmosphere of the WL. Just sitting in the lobby and watching the activity is entertaining for us, and a nice break from the MK. You might also want to walk past the pool and watch the geyser erupt on the hour. And we usually walk next door to the WL Villas, and spend a few moments in the Iron Spike room. It's to the right, right after you walk through the front doors, and features lots of Walt's railroad memorabilia, including two of the actual train cars from Walt's backyard railroad. It's a really neat space, very relaxing and peaceful, with large leather chairs and a big fireplace, and it hearkens back to the hobby that was really the beginning of the Walt's idea to build Disneyland.

Mick G.

MichWolv

Born Modest. Wore Off.
Premium Member
DHS Table Service

Sci-Fi has great theming, and I love the atmosphere. It's fun and nostalgic. The food is mediocre, but the theming makes up for it.

Prime Time has better food, still a fun theme, and is quite enjoyable. I lke the drive-in atmosphere at Sci-Fi a little better, becuase it's wide open, while Prime Time is crowded.

Mama Melroses has really good food. It's one of my favorite places to get Italian at WDW. The atmosphere is nothing special, but the food is very satisfying.

Brown Derby is expensive. I enjoy it because the food and service are really very good, but if you are concerned about money at all, go with the others.

Visa: There are a few discounts at stores, a few others at restaurants, but nothing too special. The free picture at Epcot is very nice if the line isn't too long. Plus there's a discount on backstage tours.

WL: See the geyser. Hang out in the atrium in the lobby. Walk out to the dock. If you like, take a walk on the trail between FW and WL. Grab a boat over to the Contemporary or MK. Listen to the resort area music, which is great.

Tinkerbella16

Sci-Fi isn't all what its hyped up to be IMO. First time we went, we thought it was okay so we gave it another shot last year when we went..and realized that was the last time we would eat there again. The menu is not great either. 50's Primetime is way better than sci-fi...that would be your best choice if you are looking to change.

daringstoic

I can't stand the theming at Sci-Fi, but now that we're talking about it, I'm craving the BBQ chicken sandwich with the onion straws on top. Mmmm... Prime Time is lots of fun if you get a good server. We had the same server two years in a row, and she actually remembered our family. Then she made me stand in the corner because I refused to put my napkin in my lap. I think that's a story for the embarrassing moments thread...

New2WDW

Original Poster
Hmmmm...sounds like we might just try Prime Time instead of Sci-Fi. My wife thought Sci-Fi would be cool and then after looking over the menu she was not so sure. We may just switch that one up.

We do not have anything planned on the day of Whispering Canyon so that we can try some of this stuff!

Disney Visa - so what is the picture of? and can the whole family get it or just the card holder? (sorry, I just got tired of reading all the small type in the paperwork)

Thanks for the suggestions, any more? :D

lilclerk

The free picture at Epcot is actually a "private" meet and greet with characters, and I believe they give you a free photo when you go there. It's in Innoventions (I don't know whether it's east or west.)

50s Prime Time and the Sci Fi are my favorite WDW restaurants for theming alone. I absolutely love them.

britlightyear

About the Disney Visa picture, you go into Innoventions West and you will see a sign for the cardholder meet and greet and that's where you line up. I recommend getting there right at the earliest time listed (I think usually around 1pm) the lines get surprisingly long. There will be a CM working the line only letting one family in at a time. Once you get to the front of the line you show the CM your visa and they will give you a coupon for your 5x7 that you redeem at the photopass place at the front of the park. You are then let behind this curtain where any number or combination of characters is (the CM outside probably won't tell you in advance who the characters are they want it to be a surprise) You then have as much time as you want to take as many pictures as you want. There is a photopass photographer who will take LOTS of pics and those will be the pics you choose your 5x7 from. I also recommend if you have a photopass card to have the photographer put all your pics on it so then you can buy more if you want from home. The last time we went it was Mickey, Minnie & Goofy. Those turned out to be my favorite pics of our whole trip, it's rare you get 3 characters in a picture anywhere else in WDW, take advantage. I hope this helps.

ChrisQ

I enjoyed the pool at WL; the waterfall was breathtaking. The lobby/atrium at WL is beautiful, and be sure to check out the geyser.

swimmom

After dinner you could go over to Fort Wilderness by boat and then take a carriage ride. We took a "sleigh ride" once and it was so quiet & relaxing that it was hard to believe we were at Disney World. Advance reservations are suggested.

Senderella

Sci-Fi isn't all what its hyped up to be IMO. First time we went, we thought it was okay so we gave it another shot last year when we went..and realized that was the last time we would eat there again. The menu is not great either. 50's Primetime is way better than sci-fi...that would be your best choice if you are looking to change.

I've heard this more than a few times! A friend of ours ate there with his family a couple years ago. I told him I hadn't heard great things about the food, but since our tastes are similar to let me know what he thought. He thought it was a great experience for his sons because of the themeing and was happy he experienced but I was right about the food. It stunk. He wouldn't go back. You'd think with the constant bad reviews about the food Disney would listen and do something about it. :shrug:

As far as the WL goes, we consider that "home" when we're at WDW. There's a lot to see there. I like finding the animal tracks in the cement and wandering around the lobby.

wvdisneyfamily

DHS
The milkshakes at Sci-Fi are wonderful as are the sundaes. The food is okay. My only advice is to avoid Hollywood and Vine. It has gone downhill since 2005.
Disney Visa
Your wife should be able to activate her card online and see all kinds of WDW specials for card members. (You should also get some mailings.) You activate through Chase online. Instructions should have come with the card; I'm sure that customer service can also tell you how to access the online features and special WDW discounts.
WL
Just looking around the lodge should be an adventure. Make sure you check out some of the mischief :lookaroun that you can get into at the Whispering Canyon Cafe. These include asking for ketchup/extra straws; drinking your beverage too quickly; ordering a large tea; chewing gum; etc...

New2WDW

Original Poster
Excellent info and ideas! I appreciate them all and I will definitely look at doing many if not all of them. Only 160 more days til the trip but just thinking of the little extras helps me get by the time.

Any more? :D

Disneybird

If you go to the desk at the WL, they will give you a list of things to look for in the fireplace. Hidden Mickey's, etc.. I can't remember what all is on the list, but my daughter and I really enjoyed looking. There is also a walking trail to Ft. Wilderness, if you want to do more walking.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom