DHS CARS LAND

Goofyernmost

AND people paid 90 bucks to get in to a park with little to do if your kids are under 48"...

Guest satisfaction on LMA has to be extremely low. It just isn't very good. Indy is still fun, but the "filming" shtick is just so useless now. It isn't even an interesting scene shift device anymore.
Again we must stop thinking like a bunch of people that go there every other day. Most Disney Guests have been there very few times. For many this is the first time. To them the "filming" shtick is brand new. the scene shift device is brand new to them. Even the show is brand new to them and it is as interesting as it once was for us. When we get all fired up about why Disney doesn't change things everyday, we would be wise to realize that we are a minority in this scenario of entertainment.

Wikkler

AND people paid 90 bucks to get in to a park with little to do if your kids are under 48"...

Guest satisfaction on LMA has to be extremely low. It just isn't very good. Indy is still fun, but the "filming" shtick is just so useless now. It isn't even an interesting scene shift device anymore.

On Friday, I witnessed the action for myself.
My opinion:
Retheme HISTA playground to A Bug's Life
Retheme Lights, Motors, Action to Cars (Boring as crap)
Trash Streets of America but Keep Muppet*Vision 3-D

I didn't do Indiana Jones, so I don't really know about that show.

misterID

Again we must stop thinking like a bunch of people that go there every other day. Most Disney Guests have been there very few times. For many this is the first time. To them the "filming" shtick is brand new. the scene shift device is brand new to them. Even the show is brand new to them and it is as interesting as it once was for us. When we get all fired up about why Disney doesn't change things everyday, we would be wise to realize that we are a minority in this scenario of entertainment.

WDW gets more returning guests than most people think, returning guests are pretty prevalent at WDW. Indy has been there from the beginning and the question is, is the show able to stand the test of time?

I don't think anyone is asking them to change things up everyday, but every few years would be nice. ;)

NoChesterHester

Hmmmm... I get what you are saying, but I go every couple years, not even close to every week.

My point of view is also crafted by the two families that came with me last time, both of whom it was their first trip in years. They overwhelmingly had a negative opinion of the shows and offerings at Hollywood Studios outside the obvious; Star Tours, TOT, Toy Story, and RnRC.

It doesn't take a veteran to recognize that movies aren't filmed there and the gags are based on a culture of 20 years ago. It doesn't take a veteran to realize that LMA is boring and uninteresting. The "hot set" gag feels either forced or as a sad holdover even to the uneducated.

Goofyernmost

Hmmmm... I get what you are saying, but I go every couple years, not even close to every week.

My point of view is also crafted by the two families that came with me last time, both of whom it was their first trip in years. They overwhelmingly had a negative opinion of the shows and offerings at Hollywood Studios outside the obvious; Star Tours, TOT, Toy Story, and RnRC.

It doesn't take a veteran to recognize that movies aren't filmed there and the gags are based on a culture of 20 years ago. It doesn't take a veteran to realize that LMA is boring and uninteresting. The "hot set" gag feels either forced or as a sad holdover even to the uneducated.
Every week was a bit of an exaggeration on my part, but I'm sure you knew that. I have personally seen the Indy show probably in the range of 10 times. I still enjoy it, but, I also can predict it and I know how the "volunteer" ends up. Your friends might not have liked it the last time they saw it or it just wasn't their cup of tea. Most of the people that I have gone with that had never been before, thought it was great, so I guess it depends on who you ask.

I just hate to see it go, is all. Especially for some other show, to be named later. I guess I just don't have confidence in Disney's ability to "replace" an attraction. Think Imagination, WoM, the New Tiki Room (mercifully burnt out), the sound show and I could go on and on. I prefer the evil I know to the evil I don't know, in this case. I will give them a shout out for Star Tours. That was a vast improvement.

NoChesterHester

Every week was a bit of an exaggeration on my part, but I'm sure you knew that. I have personally seen the Indy show probably in the range of 10 times. I still enjoy it, but, I also can predict it and I know how the "volunteer" ends up. Your friends might not have liked it the last time they saw it or it just wasn't their cup of tea. Most of the people that I have gone with that had never been before, thought it was great, so I guess it depends on who you ask.

I just hate to see it go, is all. Especially for some other show, to be named later. I guess I just don't have confidence in Disney's ability to "replace" an attraction. Think Imagination, WoM, the New Tiki Room (mercifully burnt out), the sound show and I could go on and on. I prefer the evil I know to the evil I don't know, in this case. I will give them a shout out for Star Tours. That was a vast improvement.

I didn't mean to imply they hated it, far from it. It is probably more of a reflection of value. After the trip they expressed to me that they felt every minute of the trip was worth the price we paid except they expressed their dissatisfaction with HS "for the cost compared to the other parks."

EpcoTim

I don't think a persons visit number should dictate how much things are updated, changed or additions made. A first time visitor is going to notice that a lot of things look old, feel old, etc etc. Some of the "schtick" that was good enough years ago, just isn't anymore. And it comes off as outdated and cheesy. A first time guest can and will take these things into account, especially when it comes to considering a return visit. If the place feels like its been stale for years, or at least gives that impression, than that is going to have an effect on a persons decision to return.

And lets not also forget that there are a lot of Middle-of-the-road Disney nuts. They don't sit on message boards all day praising or damning the place or the company, but they still do have knowledge of most things Walt. They may not know what HISTKPA stands for, but they remember the last few times they were there that MGM was rather boring and that the Indiana Jones stage show has been the same since they went there for the first time a couple decades ago. They want to go back, they want to re-stock their Disney souvenir collection, but whats the point? It was the same as it was years ago when they went last time. A look at the photos from the last trip in '03 confirms this, and hey, a few Disney vacations would make a nice down payment on a little cabin on a lake. And you don't have to ride a bus back to your hotel with a woman changing her babies diaper in the seat next to you.

I won't even go into the fanboy segment or the beyond-fanboy segment, the ones who already know exactly what the DHS expansion will entail.

But long story short, Change will bring more people in. First timers who are borderline if they want to go or not and spend the serious coin to go could be swayed big a new ride done on a grand scale. Infrequent visitors who tired of the place might reconsider returning with the announcement of something new. Whacked out chronic disneyators might close their copy of Roller Coaster Tycoon for a few weeks and find a job so they can fund a trip down to see the changes being made.

Just because someone may have never experienced something before doesn't make it a good thing. I've never had polio before, but I don't hate the inventors of the vaccine.

I'm not saying everything needs to go and all at once and I'm not talking a new E-ticket every 6 months. But constant evolvement, creating a dynamic atmosphere and culture will do nothing short of bringing new "guests" in and keep old ones coming back. Turning one-timers into multi-timers. It holds peoples interests, and when done correctly and with great pride, keeps them looking forward to the next big thing. And I'm not talking about the "magic" marketing garbage Disney has gotten good at in recent years. A truly strong company wouldn't have to force that crap down everyones throat constantly. But that begs the question...Does Disney still have the creative back bone to evolve and create like that or have they pretty much relegated themselves to shameless marketing to bring people in for one visit, only to have them leave disappointed never to return again?

Animaniac93-98

WDW gets more returning guests than most people think, returning guests are pretty prevalent at WDW. Indy has been there from the beginning and the question is, is the show able to stand the test of time?

I don't think anyone is asking them to change things up everyday, but every few years would be nice. ;)

The Indy show has been the same for almost 25 years. Is a change once every ten years not reasonable?

Goofyernmost

But long story short, Change will bring more people in. First timers who are borderline if they want to go or not and spend the serious coin to go could be swayed big a new ride done on a grand scale. Infrequent visitors who tired of the place might reconsider returning with the announcement of something new. Whacked out chronic disneyators might close their copy of Roller Coaster Tycoon for a few weeks and find a job so they can fund a trip down to see the changes being made.

Just because someone may have never experienced something before doesn't make it a good thing. I've never had polio before, but I don't hate the inventors of the vaccine.

I'm not saying everything needs to go and all at once and I'm not talking a new E-ticket every 6 months. But constant evolvement, creating a dynamic atmosphere and culture will do nothing short of bringing new "guests" in and keep old ones coming back. Turning one-timers into multi-timers. It holds peoples interests, and when done correctly and with great pride, keeps them looking forward to the next big thing. And I'm not talking about the "magic" marketing garbage Disney has gotten good at in recent years. A truly strong company wouldn't have to force that crap down everyones throat constantly. But that begs the question...Does Disney still have the creative back bone to evolve and create like that or have they pretty much relegated themselves to shameless marketing to bring people in for one visit, only to have them leave disappointed never to return again?

As far as the first one is concerned...how do they know that everyone of the current attractions are done on a grand scale. Modern Marvels has given them that information. The only time it would matter is if the didn't like what the saw or heard and needed a solid reason. I don't think there is any noticeable affect there.

The second...well, it doesn't make it bad either. I think having "Polio" would already have a negative enough reputation, so not a valid example.

Number three...That is exactly what I have been saying. I do not believe that Disney has the backbone to use whatever they create and invest in it enough to see it happen. I'm sure they still have some very creative people on staff, but are held back from doing the grand scale that you are talking about. The proof of that is Carsland in DCA. That was out of desperation. They either turned DCA around or they were due to lose a lot of money on what was already there. It was either that or turn it back into a parking lot. WDW, at this point, is not really in any immediate need of being saved. Hell, they are putting in over a billion dollar system to find a way to control the growing crowds that they currently have. Although the relegation to "shameless marketing" is indeed that path of the moment, that latter part has yet to be having a result of people just going for one visit and even if it did, there are a lot of people out there to be pulled in by that marketing. All that still makes us, the more avid fan, a minority. If attractions were based on how current they are, I would be at a loss to explain things like the Carousel or Tea Cups or Peter Pan or Small World, etc.

The Indy show has been the same for almost 25 years. Is a change once every ten years not reasonable?
Not if you have something good to replace it with. Indy was well done, creative, entertaining and fun. Just because it has been around awhile doesn't make it any less worthwhile. In fact it has survived in DHS when everything else changed a number of times should be saying something.

Fox&Hound

But could they at least add a new scene or two???? I mean- nothing has changed in the Indy show at all. That is crazy. Like another poster said, every ten years is not that out of the question when regarding updates to a park.

asianway

Not taking into account the changing standards of what an E-Ticket is since 1959.
In 1976 the Country Bear Jamboree was an E-Ticket and the Enchanted Tiki Room was more expensive to see than the price of an E-Ticket.
The high price of Tiki related to recovery of initial AA Research and Development

Wikkler

Interesting fact: according to the Disney website, DHS has only 14 attractions compared to Magic Kingdom's 44 and Epcot's 32.

Wikkler

So DHS with 14 attractions is behind Animal Kingdom with 20 and ahead of with Blizzard Beach with 12.
I also found that according to Disney, Disney World has a total of 137 attractions, but you can discount the last two since they are at Downtown Disney and ESPN Wide World of Sports.
So if each Ticket level had an equal number of attractions, there would be 27 of each ticket level in total.
What do you think the 27 E Tickets are?
(This includes the water parks)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom