DHS CARS LAND

doctornick

Lastly, while having two of the same exact ride system on one property is a bit...odd and not a smart decision in my book, what further propels that idea is how much of a pain the TT ride system is. If TT STILL broke down at least once every week or two weeks before closing in April, you're going to have not one but two attractions with the same type of issues.

I don't get this complaint at all. RSR and TT are completely different rides and experiences. It's only obvious that they are the same ride system if you are the type of person who is really into that sort of information. The typical guests sees two unrelated rides and more opportunity for fun.

Besides which, lots of ride systems are copied within a resort. Should there only be one Omnimover in all of WDW? One spinner? Once tracked boat ride? Somehow having two attractions, with completely different themes, in different parks is not really a big deal to me if RSR comes to DHS.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
I don't get this complaint at all. RSR and TT are completely different rides and experiences. It's only obvious that they are the same ride system if you are the type of person who is really into that sort of information. The typical guests sees two unrelated rides and more opportunity for fun.

Besides which, lots of ride systems are copied within a resort. Should there only be one Omnimover in all of WDW? One spinner? Once tracked boat ride? Somehow having two attractions, with completely different themes, in different parks is not really a big deal to me if RSR comes to DHS.

I agree. As I mentioned earlier in the thread, we already had the RSR and TT situation when Wonders of Life was open, Body Wars in Epcot and Star Tours in MGM. Exact same ride system in the same two parks. I really don't think it makes a difference to the average guest.

KevinYee

Of course, DHS already has a Carsland. Themed to Cars2, even, in the form of the lovely French town and a show full of cars. Why, the "hero" car is already red!

I kid, I kid.

Several posters here have correctly identified that a RSR ride here, even with a full Carsland around it, would not solve the park's identity crisis. But it would significantly help the park, the way Tower of Terror did not "solve" anything but still helped the park a lot.

And that drawing of a revised parking lot entry to DHS? Brilliant. There really is a lot of land if they choose to expand the park in that direction. But it's not on the Master Plan.

Count me in the camp who is disappointed as a Disney fan that yet more cloning is going on. I know it's industry standard, but that doesn't make it any less stupid. The very unique nature of TDL/TDS rides makes us want to return, but if DCA loses its uniqueness because there's a version here? That's a no-brainer for me. It takes DCA down a notch.

SirLink

The problem with DHS as a whole though is that it is a cluttered mess - no structure to the park, unlike DCA which at least had a 'land' like structure. Also the fact TWDC feels the need to 'hem' themselves in the parks for 'true' expansion, but maybe that is just me.

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
Of course, DHS already has a Carsland. Themed to Cars2, even, in the form of the lovely French town and a show full of cars. Why, the "hero" car is already red!

I kid, I kid.

Several posters here have correctly identified that a RSR ride here, even with a full Carsland around it, would not solve the park's identity crisis. But it would significantly help the park, the way Tower of Terror did not "solve" anything but still helped the park a lot.

And that drawing of a revised parking lot entry to DHS? Brilliant. There really is a lot of land if they choose to expand the park in that direction. But it's not on the Master Plan.

Count me in the camp who is disappointed as a Disney fan that yet more cloning is going on. I know it's industry standard, but that doesn't make it any less stupid. The very unique nature of TDL/TDS rides makes us want to return, but if DCA loses its uniqueness because there's a version here? That's a no-brainer for me. It takes DCA down a notch.

Of course it takes DCA down a notch. We live in a small world now, getting out to Cali is not significantly more difficult then getting down to Orlando for most of us. Cloning the entire land just gives me less of a reason to visit both coasts.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
The addition of this attraction to the Studios should really come as no surprise, it is a no-brainer for Disney.
It is a proven ride, based on a massively successful movie franchise, and capable of being a headlining attraction. If you had this in your portfolio, why not bring it to Walt Disney World? Remember, unlike serious Disney fans, a good majority of guests only visit one of the resorts, not both. Car Land at WDW would be brand new for many guests. It also fills the need for a family friendly thrill attraction that the Studios so desperately needs.

In terms of it being unique to DCA, keep in mind it would be a couple of years before this thing is ready at WDW, even if construction started now. This gives California plenty of time to enjoy the glory of being first with this attraction. I don't see that being an issue at all.

Lights Motors Action appears to be problematic to operate. The limited number of shows per day, lack of any night shows, and poor repeat viewing seems to make it clear to go.

Now while they are bringing things from DLR and removing stunt shows - how about saying goodbye to Indy, and brining over the Indy ride. That would be one heck of a strong line-up!

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
I agree. As I mentioned earlier in the thread, we already had the RSR and TT situation when Wonders of Life was open, Body Wars in Epcot and Star Tours in MGM. Exact same ride system in the same two parks. I really don't think it makes a difference to the average guest.

It doesn't make a difference, you are right. If we go down that route, do we also say that all the Omnimovers are a problem?

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
The addition of this attraction to the Studios should really come as no surprise, it is a no-brainer for Disney.
It is a proven ride, based on a massively successful movie franchise, and capable of being a headlining attraction. If you had this in your portfolio, why not bring it to Walt Disney World? Remember, unlike serious Disney fans, a good majority of guests only visit one of the resorts, not both. Car Land at WDW would be brand new for many guests. It also fills the need for a family friendly thrill attraction that the Studios so desperately needs.

In terms of it being unique to DCA, keep in mind it would be a couple of years before this thing is ready at WDW, even if construction started now. This gives California plenty of time to enjoy the glory of being first with this attraction. I don't see that being an issue at all.

Lights Motors Action appears to be problematic to operate. The limited number of shows per day, lack of any night shows, and poor repeat viewing seems to make it clear to go.

Now while they are bringing things from DLR and removing stunt shows - how about saying goodbye to Indy, and brining over the Indy ride. That would be one heck of a strong line-up!
While I would love to see the Indy ride at DHS, the stunt show still packs in the crowds and operates in the black. Until that changes, I don't see it going anywhere.

The Empress Lilly

Oh no! Not Carsland!

It's great at DCA. At DHS it will be a copy five years late. It will also only intensify the park's identity problems. Disney parks need cohesion, they should not be a Universal park, that is, a loose collection of movie franchises.

Also, as much as Carsland is fun, I think the Cars franchise itself stinks. Is this the best they can do to serve the young male demograph? Now we'll never get rid of those silly cars all over the place.

CaptainWinter

CL would be great for HS -- think of what it's replacing! It's hard (near impossible) not to see CL as a giant upgrade.

HS guest flow (pedestrian traffic) is very awkward and badly needs to be re-imagineered. Even more so if CL becomes a reality. I think there could be a permanent human traffic jam unless they improve it.

Also, this development would make Epcot even more of a neglected stepchild. They would need to plus it pretty aggressively lest it slip to 3rd or 4th among the 4 gates.

devoy1701

Man, attend the RNC for one night and you miss out on a World of fun on the forums. o_O

I hear what you're saying here, but from what I have heard/read, for the first time, Disneyland was starting to get a national draw. Even guests who wouldn't be considered rabid Disney fans were interested and wanting to make the trip out to see it. Afterall it really isn't that expensive to fly out to LA. I don't see any reason why they need to bring the clone here. Though I did like the idea of a Cars 2 theme using a french village setting. Much more fitting for DHS I think.

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
CL would be great for HS -- think of what it's replacing! It's hard (near impossible) not to see CL as a giant upgrade.

HS guest flow (pedestrian traffic) is very awkward and badly needs to be re-imagineered. Even more so if CL becomes a reality. I think there could be a permanent human traffic jam unless they improve it.

Guest flow is already a nightmare every time LMA lets out after one of it's performances. Bring in CL and you'll have a set of rides/attractions/restaurants (?) that can spread the guest flow out a little more evenly....

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Man, attend the RNC for one night and you miss out on a World of fun on the forums. o_O

I hear what you're saying here, but from what I have heard/read, for the first time, Disneyland was starting to get a national draw. Even guests who wouldn't be considered rabid Disney fans were interested and wanting to make the trip out to see it. Afterall it really isn't that expensive to fly out to LA. I don't see any reason why they need to bring the clone here. Though I did like the idea of a Cars 2 theme using a french village setting. Much more fitting for DHS I think.
You need to consider the International draw. Domestically DLR might be able to pull from all over the USA, but I can assure you that is not the case from the UK and South America - that very large group is still a WDW stronghold.

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
Just throwing this out there: Would a full Carsland have more or less capacity than LMA and Backlot Tour?

Wouldn't you think more? WIth LMA running only once or twice a day, and the BLT not being that big of a draw?

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Just throwing this out there: Would a full Carsland have more or less capacity than LMA and Backlot Tour?
More, because LMA typically only runs three shows a day. Cars Land would be operating open until close, moving somewhere around 2000 guests per hour - depending what exactly gets built.

LMA heavily contributes to that side of the park being dead. The lack of shows after dark really kills off that side of the park. Cars would do so much to help that situation.

cba

I'm not surprised that Disney might be planning on bringing CL to Hollywood Studios, but I like how it's original to Disneyland, so I wouldn't be disapointed if they just added RSR and another Cars-themed attraction in Pixar Place.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom