DHS Backlot Tour-should it stay or go?

Boray

Original Poster
My husband and I were talking the other night about the backlot tour at DHS and we have both decided that even though the park is themed to the movies, it really could do without the tour. Either that, or re-do the area. I feel that the Catastrophe Canyon is way too contrived that even a first-time visitor has to be a little disappointed in it. I like the AFI walk-though area, that can stay, seeing as the displays are changed on a regular basis. Also, we figure it wouldn't take too much to change the special effects area to make it interesting again. They also need some new props in the outdoor prop area. I'm sure that wouldn't be too difficult to come up with something to put back there.

I remember going through that tour when the house facades were there (now, replaced by Lights, Motors, Action) as well as the different walking/ride-throughs for 101 Dalmations (The live-action movie with the props, etc.) as well as a ride though the area where they shot the TV show "Sheena" (I think that's what it was called.) I know there isn't any active shoots anymore, but that area seems to be severly lacking. Couldn't they use that space for something else? Maybe I've just grown too bored with that whole attraction, but it seems to me that it could really use some revitalization. With the attention that park seems to be getting, could that also be in the plan?

What do you all think?

Chape19714

Long live the Water Tank!

I'm honestly not sure if I can live unless I see a shooting of Harbor Attack every month for the rest of my life.

On another note, it was one of the 2 original attractions at the Studios, so that may keep it around for a long time.

Its just turned terrible compared to what it used to be. They really need to do something with it as I wouldnt even think about going back to it again in its current state. I like the idea and everything, but if they cant redesign it and make it interesting again.....they need to get rid of it in favor of something else

TubaGeek

God bless the "Ignore" button.
The backlot tour used to be THE MGM Studios. There's a great article on Wikipedia (yes, I do use Wikipedia as a reference, but I'm pretty sure they're not lying about this one).
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Studio_Backlot_Tour#History
It's really one of only two of the original attractions from MGM. I think that it needs some TLC, and might not be bad way for the mouse to spend some of it's money (don't flame me for that, folks. I know other attractions/parks need it more). I feel that it's an important part of the park, even if it's been downsized as much as it has since opening day.

Kashyyyk

Wow! I didn't even realize it was still there. For some reason, I thought it was gone. I will have to go next time I am there. I use to love that ride.

brucie

I think it's ok but it either needs a overhaul to get it back to what it used to be or get rid of it. That's alot of space that could be used for a cool new E-ticket!!

TheBeatles

The Backlot Tour is very embarrassing.

I'd love to see it change, but I'm not sure how that will be done considering DHS isn't seen as movie/tv facility anymore.

The part of it that I truly care about is the prop warehouse. Where else can you see so many EPCOT Center props.

kcnole

I think we should have a tram tour but I think the entire premise needs to change. I'd like to see it become "The Disney Hollywood Studios Special Effects Tram Tour". You would still start at the water scene, but instead of being a Pearl Harbor scene it would be a scene from Pirates of the Carribean. Then you board the trams where you head through several warehouses or other things like catastrophe canyon that demonstrate movie special effects like hurricanes, fires, etc...

Evo

Go. It's disgusting. Needs like Extreme Makeover Theme Park Ride Edition.
That's It! Get ABC to do a special for Extreme Makeover: Home Edition.. Extreme Makeover: Park Edition! haha..

I think the Backlot Tour should stay, but they should refurbish it and actually make it a real tour. Why not make the the Hollywood Studios a working studios again?

Ev

Fun2BFree

I think we should have a tram tour but I think the entire premise needs to change. I'd like to see it become "The Disney Hollywood Studios Special Effects Tram Tour". You would still start at the water scene, but instead of being a Pearl Harbor scene it would be a scene from Pirates of the Carribean. Then you board the trams where you head through several warehouses or other things like catastrophe canyon that demonstrate movie special effects like hurricanes, fires, etc...

I'll second that.

As much as I hate the 'new' Disaster at Universal, it definitely is a step up from Catastrophe Canyon, which is now quite run-of-the-mill. I'd also like to see some kind of space special effects showcase (maybe Star Wars themed) with flashing lasers and spacecraft flying by the trams whilst in a warehouse.

EDIT: Also, the acronym for your show would be "TDHSSETT"... that's awesome. :D

dwightshrutefan

Thats a brilliant idea! Or the whole thing special effects of pirates of the carribean, or everystage you go to, is a special effects of some movies, or like a How this is donw type thing!

doop

I agree that it either needs to go altogether or get a HUGE makeover.

I like that idea.

DHS is not exactly a park overflowing with things to fill out your day, so to remove a lengthy attraction (even one that's as lousy as the "backlot" tour has become) would not be a good idea unless it were replaced by something of similar time-filling capacity.

ChrisQ

Somebody plus that bad boy... :lol: I'm ready to see something fresh on the tour. To me, Walt Disney's plane is the most impressive part, and that's not saying much.

Einselen

Somebody plus that bad boy... :lol: I'm ready to see something fresh on the tour. To me, Walt Disney's plane is the most impressive part, and that's not saying much.

Especially since it is sitting out in the Florida weather rusting away and you can see it on your way to LMA.

darthjohnny

I You would still start at the water scene, but instead of being a Pearl Harbor scene it would be a scene from Pirates of the Carribean.

I've felt that they should do this for some time now. Plus, the special effect preshow always features the Jerry Bruckheimer movies, so there would be no problem with that.

Although, maybe they'll have a hard time making rain-proof pirate costumes for the extra to wear. :shrug:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom