DHS Aerial View

biggy H

It's a color / texture test for the concrete walkways. Basically they are experimenting with different ideas to see what they like and so they can get approval from higher ups.

If that was the case wouldn't they all be the same size and shape? as some are curved, some stepped and one looks like it will have a hole in the middle. Just wondering...

AndrewsJ

I know you couldn't see me shrug my shoulders in a puzzled manner when I wrote that, but, it was more a thought then a criticism. And speculating is exactly what I was expressing. Higher elevations, lower water table, previous or future landfill earthwork. :confused:
I was about to ask "why ?" So I'm glad I read on after I saw the DL pic. Your speculation sounds very logical to me. I was thinking similarly but didn't have the words to actually say it. I know nothing about construction but the whole process of fascinating.

lobelia

Star-Wars-Land_Full_29324.jpg

Did someone figure out what the posts in this picture were yet?

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Original Poster
View attachment 180620
Did someone figure out what the posts in this picture were yet?

There was some debate as to whether they were something old that was dug up, or if they were something new put in for ground stabilization that they are now excavating around. Comparing the picture from the end of November (top) to the latest one, you can see that the one group of posts has been cut off to the level of the bottom of the pit and a new set has been dug up. I am leaning towards these being something new since they have done a similar thing over at SWL for the battle ride "basement".

upload_2016-12-20_11-24-26.png

upload_2016-12-20_11-24-16.png

deWild

I am very confused right now... From the aerial photos and from what I already know, the Muppets is literally smack dab in the middle of the proposed future Star Wars area and the current Star Tours attraction. That being said, what happens to the Muppets once Star Wars opens, and what happens to Star Tours?

Edit: *Didn't Disney just refurb Pizza Planet into PizzeRizzo too?

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Original Poster
I am very confused right now... From the aerial photos and from what I already know, the Muppets is literally smack dab in the middle of the proposed future Star Wars area and the current Star Tours attraction. That being said, what happens to the Muppets once Star Wars opens, and what happens to Star Tours?

It's very possible that Star Tours will get re-themed after SWL opens.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member

Indeed. Star Tours will not be part of SWL. That is the area of confusion. Our Top People say it will be rethemed.

My money is on Disney inertia keeping it Star Tours for years and years after SWL is built. Retheming costs money. And unless the greater Indiana Jones area is going to be redone into some new land, they probably won't touch it except to keep adding scenes from new saga movies. And so... it will be an out-of-place attraction gnawing at the OCD theming purists for many years to come.

deWild

Indeed. Star Tours will not be part of SWL. That is the area of confusion. Our Top People say it will be rethemed.

My money is on Disney inertia keeping it Star Tours for years and years after SWL is built. Retheming costs money. And unless the greater Indiana Jones area is going to be redone into some new land, they probably won't touch it except to keep adding scenes from new saga movies. And so... it will be an out-of-place attraction gnawing at the OCD theming purists for many years to come.

Wait a minute, Disney is going to build a multimillion dollar land themed to Star Wars, and the tentative plan is to keep the existing Star Tours attraction disconnected from this? That doesn't make much sense in my mind.

A thought occurred to me while writing this though. If Disney were to keep Star Tours separate from the new SWL, I could see Disney attempting something similar to what Universal has with the Hogwarts Express. Imagine Star Tours being the "space port" on Earth with shuttle service to the new SWL area. The last sequence on the simulator would be a new scene where the guests arrive on proposed planet that SWL is themed around. Following the ride, guests are rerouted around the back of Muppets through current backstage areas to the grand entrance of SWL. This way, Disney keeps Star Tours, continually updates the ride sequences, saves money on repurposing/demolishing the existing building, and creates the atmosphere of actually traveling at light speed to get to another galaxy.

Thoughts?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom