DHS 25th Anniversary Rumors... Hat Removed?

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
with part of it having a building on top of it, it won't be fully restored.
It always had a building on it. Just with a black painted ear :wave:
attachment.php

maxairmike

Someone mentioned it earlier, but sightlines from EPCOT would not be an issue if moved to the entrance plaza due to elevation differences and a few natural and man-made obstructions. Tower is about 70ft. taller than the BAH, which makes quite a difference when you're talking about a view from a few thousand feet away. Tower's sightline through Morocco is also a result of almost no natural or man-made obstructions between that part of EPCOT and the attraction. You'll notice that the straight-line from Tower to Morocco features lots of pavement and very, very few plants.

Personally, when I look at the pictures people have posted comparing the views before and after the BAH arrived, I get visual stress every time I look at the ones with the BAH. It creates very strong visual tension/stress in that environment, which is something you absolutely do not want. I'll be the first to say I've had some fun nights photographing it, but I was even more frustrated by how much it screwed up everything else about the street in general (especially attempting to photograph the Theater).

Captain Hank

Personally, when I look at the pictures people have posted comparing the views before and after the BAH arrived, I get visual stress every time I look at the ones with the BAH. It creates very strong visual tension/stress in that environment, which is something you absolutely do not want. I'll be the first to say I've had some fun nights photographing it, but I was even more frustrated by how much it screwed up everything else about the street in general (especially attempting to photograph the Theater).
Interesting point of view. The juxtaposition of a medieval castle at the end of Main Street USA works as well as it does because the architecture of Main Street was designed from the start to support the castle. Hollywood Blvd. was designed to support and accentuate the Great Movie Ride facade. The hat is so completely unlike any of the other buildings in the area--from the materials to the color all the way to the angle it's set at. It just looks wrong.

maxairmike

Interesting point of view. The juxtaposition of a medieval castle at the end of Main Street USA works as well as it does because the architecture of Main Street was designed from the start to support the castle. Hollywood Blvd. was designed to support and accentuate the Great Movie Ride facade. The hat is so completely unlike any of the other buildings in the area--from the materials to the color all the way to the angle it's set at. It just looks wrong.

To be honest, I get a similar sense of visual tension (albeit nowhere near as strong) when I look at pictures of the classic shot up Main Street without the greenery in the Hub, compared to pictures with a green Hub. It really is amazing how much seemingly small details make in the overall sense of it all.

It isn't visual tension, more a visual void that I get when viewing pics of the fountain in front of SSE without the glass centerpiece, versus with the glass centerpiece. Single, sometimes small pieces really are key components of the entire visual structure. Although, just like with the BAH, I can't compare to actual views and experiences, as my first WDW experience was in 2010.

flavious27

Someone mentioned it earlier, but sightlines from EPCOT would not be an issue if moved to the entrance plaza due to elevation differences and a few natural and man-made obstructions. Tower is about 70ft. taller than the BAH, which makes quite a difference when you're talking about a view from a few thousand feet away. Tower's sightline through Morocco is also a result of almost no natural or man-made obstructions between that part of EPCOT and the attraction. You'll notice that the straight-line from Tower to Morocco features lots of pavement and very, very few plants.

The hat looks better at night and its placement just doesn't look right when you look at it from the entrance. Placing it near the south lake will let it blend into the space better and would be somewhat of a gateway object for those on the friendship boats.

The Empress Lilly

It isn't visual tension, more a visual void that I get when viewing pics of the fountain in front of SSE without the glass centerpiece, versus with the glass centerpiece. Single, sometimes small pieces really are key components of the entire visual structure. Although, just like with the BAH, I can't compare to actual views and experiences, as my first WDW experience was in 2010.
I could conceivably get used to the Hat.

But I'll never get used to the missing prism in EPCOT. The vista is incomplete. I need that ensemble of the geosphere and the fountain and the prism. It was the spot from which I started and ended every single trip to EPCOT. Just standing there, admiring the view, fawning over the beauty of it all.
I'm so sad they took it away from me.
tr35.gif

Omnimover

I have been around but this is the worse one yet. :eek:

Agreed, it's pretty crazy. Wasn't trying to tell you about your business, just musing on the inevitable breakdown in threads for controversial topics. This could be a thread about the Imagination Pavilion, Stitch's Great Escape, or the Adventurer's Club, and it would be the same story: a vitriolic chorus of complaint punctuated by a few posts defending the subject under attack, and occasionally trolls poking people with a stick.

For a fun twist, this thread had lots of pictures to spice it up!

I love the internet.

lazyboy97o

Sleeping Beauty Castle and Cinderella Castle are also not modeled on real medieval fortifications, but later revivalist manors and chateaus. Construction on Neuschwanstein, from which Sleeping Beauty Castle is heavily copied, stopped in 1892, which falls within Main Street, USA's depicted timeframe of 1890 - 1910.

deWild

As many people that hate the hat as there are, why not just put the hat in a different location somewhere in the World? There has to be someplace that the hat could go...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom