Developing A Relationship With Crew Members.

GoofyRacer11

Original Poster
I just got back yesterday afternoon from my week long cruise on the Disney Fantasy and I had an amazing time. We had warm weather, delicious food, and exciting port adventures the whole week. However, I think my favorite part the entire trip was meeting the 3 baristas at the Cove Cafe. They were all from different countries and had unique stories to tell. It was so interesting to converse with all of them that I spent almost 3 hours a day the entire cruise and they knew what I wanted without having to ask for it. That may seem like a waste of time to many people, but it was a pleasure to meet such interesting and friendly people and develop a relationship with each and every one of them. So having said that, my advice would be not to overlook starting a conversation with anyone from the crew. You might miss the opportunity to meet such people.

5thGenTexan

I would imagine there are some very interesting people who are crew members on the various ships. However I have no intention of carrying on any sort of lenghtly conversation while on board. I generally assume that people don't like me and see no reason that the crew would be any different. I'm sure I am missing out, but that is just the way it is.

HollyAD

I met the best crew members too! Not just our waiters but several random people. Talked to one guy in the hall for about 20 min about football and even had a great conversation with capt Fabian on the Wonder. You can tell that these people take great pride in their jobs. We didn't have great weather so we did have some free time to talk to different crew members. It's def worth your time to strike a few conversations because you really never know what you might learn.

sweetpee_1993

Love talking to the crew members! Our last cruise we especially enjoyed getting to know our concierge, Tawanda. Such a wonderful fellow. He showed us video of his 3 year old son playing in a park. Hubby could tell easily if Tawanda was a little tired (I couldn't tell so readily). Turns out he would stay up super late so he could talk to his wife & son on the phone then be so excited from talking to them that he couldn't sleep. So my husband would say, "Talked to the family last night, huh?" Yep! We really love hearing about life in other countries and what the crew think of what they've seen in our country and others in contrast. There's so many little unexpected treasures to be found within the crew. Like learning that a person's first name in Indonesia will tell you if they're the 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, etc. child in their family! Who knew?! We try to be extra kind to the crew. We love people and I never realized how spot-on my husband's grandmother was when she told me, "Tracey doesn't meet strangers." The crew are always willing to do whatever it takes to make our vacation perfect. They do so much for us while being away from their own families for long periods of time. We appreciate them! Maybe it's the perpetual momma in me that wants to take them all under my wing and take care of them as wonderfully as they take care of us.

GoofyRacer11

Original Poster
I would imagine there are some very interesting people who are crew members on the various ships. However I have no intention of carrying on any sort of lenghtly conversation while on board. I generally assume that people don't like me and see no reason that the crew would be any different. I'm sure I am missing out, but that is just the way it is.

That's understandable. I know that it's probably a personal preference whether to try it or not, but it was a suggestion to help make a trip more enjoyable. Normally, I don't hold long conversations with strangers because I feel that I wouldn't have anything to talk about, but I'm trying to get over it. Which I'm glad to say I think I did just that!

ExRoadie

The staff at Currents Bar during my August 2012 Dream cruise was just as diverse and quite interesting. The U.K., South Africa and the Bahamas were well represented. We told jokes, people-watched and generally commiserated all but the first afternoon of a 5 night cruise. We made sure we visited them the last night right before closing for one last cash tip.

ChuckElias

I'm friends on Facebook with a couple dining room servers we've had. I don't intrude on them very much, but it's fun to keep a little contact. Plus there are at least two other servers that we actively seek out when we're on their ship. I'm hoping that our Head Server from the Baltic cruise will be on the Fantasy next month.

rick3236

I'm friends on Facebook with a couple dining room servers we've had. I don't intrude on them very much, but it's fun to keep a little contact. Plus there are at least two other servers that we actively seek out when we're on their ship. I'm hoping that our Head Server from the Baltic cruise will be on the Fantasy next month.

We do the same thing. We developed a relationship with our server at Palo's on the Dream, and then net time we sailed on the Dream we asked for him to be our server for both diner and brunch. He really took excellent care of us, and we took care of him.

GoofyRacer11

Original Poster
I have tried finding the 3 baristas from Cove Cafe on Facebook, but I can only recall their first names, which is making it difficult. I'm planning on going on the Western Caribbean cruise in mid-May so I'll see them then.

We do the same thing. We developed a relationship with our server at Palo's on the Dream, and then net time we sailed on the Dream we asked for him to be our server for both diner and brunch. He really took excellent care of us, and we took care of him.
Our server was amazing as well, so I'll most definitely request her for the cruise in May. Hopefully her contract isn't up by then.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom