Destination Photos.

epcotisbest

I thought they looked similar - but your photo is much better! Mine was with an iPhone. I took it from a bridge by the entrance.
Well, I don't know about better, just photos taken during different seasons. Still, taken from the same spot and I think that is a cool coincidence.

21stamps

Original Poster
A lot of photos incoming, can’t choose my faves. I’ll put them in thumbnail.

Quick backstory of this post.. I had planned a cruise for my 40th birthday. Changed my mind and decided to go with our new “Wilderness side”. I’ve been seeing friend’s photos on FB of a place called Hocking Hills. Looked beautiful, decided it would be perfect to ring in a milestone birthday.
Stayed in a cabin instead of camping.. everything was gorgeous!!
We spent 7 hours hiking on my actual birthday, that was a first for us, one of the best days of my life.

Hocking Hills State Park, Ohio

CAEA1590-6C13-4C8F-A055-B62C26D78CAD.jpeg
BC507322-EFA0-4D4A-8D47-468420D33D57.jpeg 0AB3A67C-F4C5-4874-A496-E4637515A0A2.jpeg 7E5B3AAC-8291-49C6-852E-13E1254B3505.jpeg 5409E6C9-7214-4152-886F-F018FCCAD71E.jpeg 7ECEF821-2BB1-418C-8957-DF1515349E90.jpeg E77B4900-9247-4FBC-8DE9-2941C51169EB.jpeg A409E1B5-6E52-43F0-8ED5-70213461DC73.jpeg 0AA2E5D3-C2E0-4980-BCC2-8FBE2E99ABC2.jpeg 8FCED3DD-FD17-4DCB-88B4-2F494A93A769.jpeg

Last edited:

Disneyhead'71

Took me a minute, all the way to the left! Gorgeous spot!!

I think I’m the only resident in my current city who has not taken a Tennessee weekend or vacay.. someday. The photos always look so beautiful.

I did stay in Jellico, TN one night years ago. Got scared driving thru mountains so pulled off an exit to a hotel.. only stayed about 5 hours though. Don’t think that counts. ;)
You and the kiddo absolutely need to do Dollywood/Gatlinburg. You are so close, and it's a hoot!

21stamps

Original Poster
You and the kiddo absolutely need to do Dollywood/Gatlinburg. You are so close, and it's a hoot!

I know, I know. I have 2 hesitations..
1. The cabins I want don’t mesh with what I want to pay. (I want the cabins with a game room..which tend to be the large ones)
2. I’m more interested in the mountain trails than I am the Gatlinburg shopping and entertainment that I always see photos of.

Preferably we’d stay in Pigeon Forge but spend a day in Gatlinburg. I feel like we need 5 days to do what I’d want for us.. and I don’t have 5 days in my schedule. My other state park/cave trips/camping trips are 2-4 nights.

We will get there eventually.

Tick Tock

I know, I know. I have 2 hesitations..
1. The cabins I want don’t mesh with what I want to pay. (I want the cabins with a game room..which tend to be the large ones)
2. I’m more interested in the mountain trails than I am the Gatlinburg shopping and entertainment that I always see photos of.

Preferably we’d stay in Pigeon Forge but spend a day in Gatlinburg. I feel like we need 5 days to do what I’d want for us.. and I don’t have 5 days in my schedule. My other state park/cave trips/camping trips are 2-4 nights.

We will get there eventually.
Sorry to tell you this, but that entire area is no more. :(

However, there are plenty of other beautiful places to visit, such as: Charlotte, Atlanta, Daytona Beach, the Rocky Mtns, Yellowstone, Mt. Rushmore, Syria, England...the list goes on.

21stamps

Original Poster
Sorry to tell you this, but that entire area is no more. :(

However, there are plenty of other beautiful places to visit, such as: Charlotte, Atlanta, Daytona Beach, the Rocky Mtns, Yellowstone, Mt. Rushmore, Syria, England...the list goes on.

I’m confused, what is “no more”?

epcotisbest

Thank you. Lol. My brother was literally just there with his family between day after Christmas and yesterday. They stayed in a cabin in Gatlinburg and went downtown most days. I think the photos were real ;)
A lot of the damage was up in the mountains but there was some in the downtown area. The strong winds blew the flames across several mountaintops. It was a big fire and many people lost their homes, but most of the commercial district survived and is thriving. We rode around and saw some of the fire damaged areas. It was awful, but will recover. Not sure why anyone would think it was gone.

21stamps

Original Poster
A lot of the damage was up in the mountains but there was some in the downtown area. The strong winds blew the flames across several mountaintops. It was a big fire and many people lost their homes, but most of the commercial district survived and is thriving. We rode around and saw some of the fire damaged areas. It was awful, but will recover. Not sure why anyone would think it was gone.

I remember the fires. It was very sad. I’ve known several people who have still continue to travel there since then.. as far as I know there is still plenty to see, do, and places to stay.

Imo it’s similar to a hurricane, flood, etc.. a few things will be out of commission for tourists, but for the most part tourism is the first to come back.. they need it. Money speeds recovery.
There’s parts of the Florida Keys that to this day are still completely closed off and struggling, I would never tell someone that “The Keys are gone” or not to travel to them.

epcotisbest

I remember the fires. It was very sad. I’ve known several people who have still continue to travel there since then.. as far as I know there is still plenty to see, do, and places to stay.

Imo it’s similar to a hurricane, flood, etc.. a few things will be out of commission for tourists, but for the most part tourism is the first to come back.. they need it. Money speeds recovery.
There’s parts of the Florida Keys that to this day are still completely closed off and struggling, I would never tell someone that “The Keys are gone” or not to travel to them.
Here is a photo that shows some of the areas where the wildfire hit. You can see the burned sections on some of the hills. Yes, it was a bad fire with a lot of loss, but claiming it is gone? I don't get that.

Gatlinburg.jpg

epcotisbest

Here is another angle of part of the Gatlinburg tourist area. You can see more damage in the darkened spots in the photo. In the upper left you can see a mountainside mansion that was destroyed, but again, the main tourist area survived and is thriving. A couple of resort areas were wiped out, including Westgate, but they are well on the way to rebuilding. There was heavy damage around the Treetops Resort area as well, but it did not shut down and that area is rebuilding as well.

Gatlinburg4.jpg

epcotisbest

Was that entire area (in the first pic) cleared by the fire? Sad sight.
Yes, there are many areas like that which sustained major damage. The entire Chimney Tops area was shut down, so no hiking to the top. Don't know if that area is opened back up or not. There were some neighborhoods heavily damaged and several deaths related to the fires. It was a big fire with many homes and businesses and lives lost, but again, it is not gone. The area will come out bigger and better. Mountain people are resiliant.

epcotisbest

So @21stamps back on topic, here is the tent I am going to buy next. I gave away our REI tent to a nephew and since I can't decide on a camper, we are going to need another tent. I have done research and this is the one for us. Scroll down the page and check out the video of how easy this thing is to set up and take down. It will be just right for us, though a little big and bulky, but that is OK, as it is not made for hiking and camping, but more car camping. Our car has a back seat that folds down, so even though it is long, we should be able to put it in the trunk and stick it through to the back seat. This might work for you if you have room to transport it to the campsite in your car.

http://www.gazelletents.com/gazelle-camping-hub-tent

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom