Destination Photos.

12in12

I have been to Vietnam twice for a total of 8 weeks. It is a beautiful country with friendly people even though many are quite poor. The focus seems to be more on religion and family than possessions. I highly recommend visiting as it offers a lot.

21stamps

Original Poster
I have been to Vietnam twice for a total of 8 weeks. It is a beautiful country with friendly people even though many are quite poor. The focus seems to be more on religion and family than possessions. I highly recommend visiting as it offers a lot.

Wow how neat!!

The flight though...so long.

I went to Seoul Korea back in 2001.. lived in Key West Florida at the time.. flew from KW to MCO to Atlanta to LAX to Seoul. It was one of the most painful things I’ve ever experienced. ;). I’ve never wanted to take on that kind of travel time again.
I’ll add tha the only positive is that it’s the one and only time that I’ve been on Singapore Air, best airline I’ve ever been on in my life.

Vietnam does look beautiful though. Hopefully someday. Your Russia photo is gorgeous as well, another place that I haven’t been.but always looks so inviting in photos!

12in12

I'm always happy to meet new travel partners. :) There are still lots of places I haven't been to that I want to cross of my list.

12in12

went to Seoul Korea back in 2001.. lived in Key West Florida at the time.. flew from KW to MCO to Atlanta to LAX to Seoul. It was one of the most painful things I’ve ever experienced. ;). I’ve never wanted to take on that kind of travel time again.
I’ll add tha the only positive is that it’s the one and only time that I’ve been on Singapore Air, best airline I’ve ever been on in my life.

That sounds like a lot of transfers just to get to Seoul, no wonder you don't want to do that again. Technically I have been in South Korea because I visited North Korea and the in the demilitarized zone there is a tent that is located in both North and South Korea. That tent can be used for negotiations etc. I visited that tent and stepped into the South Korean side.
When I do long flights I usually pay a little extra to get flights with the best transfers especially when travelling to Asia or Australia.

21stamps

Original Poster
That sounds like a lot of transfers just to get to Seoul, no wonder you don't want to do that again. Technically I have been in South Korea because I visited North Korea and the in the demilitarized zone there is a tent that is located in both North and South Korea. That tent can be used for negotiations etc. I visited that tent and stepped into the South Korean side.
When I do long flights I usually pay a little extra to get flights with the best transfers especially when travelling to Asia or Australia.

One disadvantage of living on a rock in the Fl Keys is that you can’t get very far in a little plane. :( At best we could have cut out one layover.. but we chose to fly 1st class on the Atlanta-LA-Seoul leg of the trip, got a much better deal going out of Atlanta as opposed to Miami or Orlando at the time. But I wouldn’t do it again!

Can I ask why you were in North Korea? What was it like?

12in12

First class, very nice!
I usually slum it in Economy. ;)
I went to North Korea because I was curious. I was traveling for a few months in Asia and I was able to book a tour that left from China to cross into NK by train. It was a tense trip as tourist have zero personal freedom in NK, I was watched and accompanied where ever I went. I also had to be very careful with what I said as any negative statements or contradictions are not tolerated. It was an experience, I am glad I did it but not something I would do again.

21stamps

Original Poster
First class, very nice!
I usually slum it in Economy. ;)
I went to North Korea because I was curious. I was traveling for a few months in Asia and I was able to book a tour that left from China to cross into NK by train. It was a tense trip as tourist have zero personal freedom in NK, I was watched and accompanied where ever I went. I also had to be very careful with what I said as any negative statements or contradictions are not tolerated. It was an experience, I am glad I did it but not something I would do again.

I'm in economy 99% of the time too! I had no desire to go to Korea, and if I was going, I said that we had to be comfortable on 22+ hour flight travel. I wasn't impressed with Seoul at all and have no desire to go back.

Wow..the 'traveling for a few months in Asia' sounds amazing!!!! I bet you had so many wonderful experiences! I'd be scared to death to be in NK. I think it's extremely neat that you were able to have that experience though.

21stamps

Original Poster
I’ll have to update this post with more photos later., but speaking of long flights.. (apologies in advance for this mini novel)

Let me start with another story, because well, a lot of my traveling includes a bit of mishaps along the way ;)

I’m a history geek, and Turkey has always been one of my top to-do destinations. I had been to Bodrum a few times, but never to Istanbul. So, in 2006, I decided that I was going to travel around Turkey- plan- stay for a month.
I was engaged at the time, but there was no way my then-fiancé could go for that amount of time at once. Invited friends- No Takers.
I made the decision to go alone, for 28 days.

One of my closest friends was going to Armenia at the same time.. so we decided to schedule our trips on the same day. We have friends in NYC and decided to go visit the city for 5 days first and then fly out of JFK... at least we could share a car service on the way to the airport before embarking on our lonely flights. ;)

Had a blast in NYC.. attended 3 shows, hit up some clubs and my favorite Upper East Side bar.. get in the car service the morning of our flights.. but wait, where’s my camera?!?!
I was a little intoxicated the night before and realized that I left it in a taxi. I was devastated. All of my photos from those 5 nights were gone. I'd have to purchase a new camera in Istanbul.

Get to the airport and order a glass of wine. My friend has to depart an hour after, we said goodbye and I ordered another cocktail. Meanwhile, my mother keeps calling me, giving me a million tips on how not to get abducted, and saying that she doesn't want me to be another Natalee Holloway story. She was driving me NUTS! I love ya mom, but please stop. After my second drink I see that my Turkish Air flight has been delayed 3 hours. Great, bartender will you be my friend? Have another glass of wine and deal with more phone calls from my mother. Finally board the plane, took a Tylenol PM while at the gate, and SLEPT the ENTIRE FLIGHT! Runway to Runway, New York to Istanbul. I wish I could do that every time!

Get to Istanbul, check in to my first hotel (fun fact- it was a century old and was originally built as a prison)... head out to get a camera..all prices in EUROS!!! WTH. When did Turkey join the EU? I was furious. I refused to pay. Said "how bad can a disposable camera be?" Paid $25 each for 2 disposable cameras and went on my way. Here's one photo. They're all horrible :(

A1CFDA58-EBAA-467F-865D-504219DCEFBA.jpeg

Last edited:

12in12

When I went to NK Kim Yung Ill was still in charge and the world was a lot calmer, I would never go today even as a Dutch citizen.

12in12

Sorry about your camera, I guess we all have those moments where we hopefully learn a lesson. I am sorry your pictures aren't that great but I hope your memories are wonderful.

21stamps

Original Poster
Sorry about your camera, I guess we all have those moments where we hopefully learn a lesson. I am sorry your pictures aren't that great but I hope your memories are wonderful.

They are. It was one of the best times of my life. I had a rough start, and started to let my mom’s words get the best of me. I didn’t realize how aggressive the men would be towards a woman who was by herself.
I sat in front of the Blue Mosque in the morning to read a book, paper, or to check my itinerary and make changes if needed. Each and every time a man would sit next to me and not leave.. if I got up he followed. I made sure that I flashed my ring around.. and then told him that my husband was back at the hotel. They didn’t care. I was back in my room by 7pm every night...usually in tears.

I had a wonderful valet who would bring apple tea to my room nightly.. he told me all about his life growing up in a rural part of the country, his father’s two wives and 11 children. He was sent to Istanbul to work when he was 14, was then 18, and had to send money back home. We actually became friends on social media and kept in contact for several years after. He was a sweet kid and I don’t know how I would have got thru those first few days without his conversation.
Apparently he talked to the hotel manager about me and how I was struggling. The manager introduced me to “family friends” who would show me around. They took me to hookah bars, restaurants, different parts of the city., walked me to the Hammam and came back in 2 hours to walk me back to the hotel. They were such a blessing and became friends. During the day I was on tours and was learning to be a little more forceful with the obnoxious aggressive men. The trip went great after that :)

I am sad about the camera and not realizing that a new one wouldn’t be priced in lira. I should have just spent the money.. but oh well.

12in12

I really love how this picture is composed. Such light and dark contrasts. I spent quite a bit of time looking at it. Well done!
Thank you, I'm glad you like it. I love taking pictures of sunsets or sunrises with pretty clouds but most don't turn out that well.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom