Destination D23 2021

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
Velocicoaster is far from generic,
Disagree
in the queue,
The queue reminds me of The Little Mermaid. You think you're going to experience something spectacular and groundbreaking when really it was just a coaster. It's no Hagrid.
the ride system,
Eh, no.
and the ride itself.
What does that even mean?
It was also masterfully integrated into the land.
To each their own. I think it kind of ruined a little bit of the aesthetic.
Universal hit a home run with that one,
It's okay.
something everyone but the most ardent Pixie Dusters admit.
I prefer to compare Guardians to Hagrid's.

Velocicoaster is more like Rockin' Roller Coaster quality for me... Just with a more fun theme... Dinosaurs. I'd put Velocicoaster on the exact same level as Hulk... with a good queue line.

castlecake2.0

I was going to say - for a group that almost has fainting spells over ruined sightlines, everyone sure gives Universal a lot of leeway! :D
Right? Barely noticeable!
09CAF1FA-85CF-4F7C-8C5C-43D8FEDE430A.jpeg

Touchdown

BTW it’s super easy to pick out the roller coaster fans from the non fans in the last few pages.

Velicocoaster is “ok” wow. Just come out and say coasters aren’t really my thing. I can tell you from taking to GP the only people not incredibly impressed by it are those who are too scared/unable to physically handle the rides forces.

Casper Gutman

Velocicoaster is more like Rockin' Roller Coaster quality for me... Just with a more fun theme... Dinosaurs. I'd put Velocicoaster on the exact same level as Hulk... with a good queue line.
I mean… I’m afraid if you expect GotG to be vastly superior to RnRC, you’re going to be disappointed. It looks like the preshows will be very comparable, and the primary difference in the rides will be projection effects - and GotG will be milder.

I think expecting GotG to be comparable to Hagrids is unrealistic. A Gringotts that doesn’t stop with a more lackluster queue - also seems fair.

doctornick

I mean… I’m afraid if you expect GotG to be vastly superior to RnRC, you’re going to be disappointed. It looks like the preshows will be very comparable, and the primary difference in the rides will be projection effects - and GotG will be milder.

It would almost impossible for GotG to not be vastly superior to RnR. The only real "hook" for RnR is that is has an inversion, which is unique for WDW (and rare in Disney parks) but is really nothing of significance in the grand scheme of roller coasters. Otherwise, it has some rock music and cardboard cutouts that you zip by.

The backwards launch and movement of the vehicles alone will be as interesting as anything done on RnR. GotG will have actual projections and proper show scenes and the vehicles will be directed to the story throughout. The track is also longer and expected to be slower so we'll have much more on ride time than RnR. There will be on ride opening scene before the launch. Given how well they did integrating short videos into Mission Breakout, I'm confident there will be some cool scenes featuring the Guardians that will be engaging to riders.

I know Disney has a tendency to overpromise and underdeliver. And I do think GotG will probably be underwhelming given the time and money used. But that doesn't mean it won't be quality at all, just that there could always be the potential for even better.

Communicora

Premium Member
He called the Walt Disney Archives team a bunch of idiots. Live on stream. And then the host lady was like "they can hear you..."

Then he said just kidding.

Fun presentation.
I wish his book wasn't coming out on a Disney imprint. I bet he has some great stories that will definitely be sanitized out of the book.

TikibirdLand

I wish his book wasn't coming out on a Disney imprint. I bet he has some great stories that will definitely be sanitized out of the book.
Even so, I really enjoyed all of the The Dawn of The Disney World panels. Would have been great to have all the photos available outside the panels so that we could all see them up close without buying the book. I've heard Bob Gurr on video many times. So, I can bet there are some great stories Dick could share.

trainplane3

He called the Walt Disney Archives team a bunch of idiots. Live on stream. And then the host lady was like "they can hear you..."

Then he said just kidding.

Fun presentation.
I heard that and was a bit confused by it honestly. Funny but the Archives team are a good bunch of people.
Same thoughts.

matt9112

Disagree

The queue reminds me of The Little Mermaid. You think you're going to experience something spectacular and groundbreaking when really it was just a coaster. It's no Hagrid.

Eh, no.

What does that even mean?

To each their own. I think it kind of ruined a little bit of the aesthetic.

It's okay.

I prefer to compare Guardians to Hagrid's.

I think velocioaster is a MUCH better que than hulk...hulk is legitimately a lightly themed standard station. Velociaster has a true pre show as well as several themed rooms. But i digress i feel there is no level of effort universal can do that will get praise here. They will always be sub par to disney.

dreday3

I think velocioaster is a MUCH better que than hulk...hulk is legitimately a lightly themed standard station. Velociaster has a true pre show as well as several themed rooms. But i digress i feel there is no level of effort universal can do that will get praise here. They will always be sub par to disney.

Universal doesn't get praise here? Okay...

UNCgolf

That's kind of strange to say in response to that comment, since they were praising Hagrid's.

I don't think it's a Disney vs. Universal thing when it comes to Velocicoaster. It's a theming thing. Velocicoaster is themed to an extent, but there's only so much you can do for a big outdoor coaster. For people that only really care about elaborately themed rides, Velocicoaster just doesn't do that much.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom