Destination D: Amazing Adventures, at Contemporary Nov 19-20, 2016

jt04

Trusted by everyone but JT.

And I was right. Again. :hilarious:

Although I really hope they consider another IP for that space.

Just when I thought news and rumors couldn't get any wilder on these boards the mouse turns up the heat. Crazy, amazing days.

DDLand

And I was right. Again. :hilarious:

Although I really hope they consider another IP for that space.

Just when I thought news and rumors couldn't get any wilder on these boards the mouse turns up the heat. Crazy, amazing days.
You always take the contrarian view, which sometimes ends up being correct. That doesn't mean you're right most or even very much of the time:
Well then you will be disappointed. TZ is clearly going away as an IP under the mouse's domain.
Here you are believing the same news everyone else did.
And ToT is now supposed to be a "classic". How standards have fallen. Good to know new management has plans. The more the better.
In this instance you're praising new management for taking out TZ, even though this same managment you love to praise has just decided to keep TZ. Hmm, maybe they're not as good as you thought?
Guest relations just needs to remind people of the wait times for GotG. Because it will be extremely popular. Twilight Zone IP has always had a limited shelf life within the Disney universe.
"Limited shelf life." Tell that to Chapek.
Never been but if I had known this I would have also long ago accepted TZ was not a long term IP for Disney. As those more in the know should have realized. Really makes all the gnashing of teeth and fabricated outrage all the more perplexing.
"Not a longterm IP for Disney."

You get a lot of grief, and some of it is occasionally unfair, but posts like this demonstrate why there is a general frustration with your content. Constantly chiding our sources is unfair and rude.

doctornick

If the quote about Epcot becoming “more Disney, timeless, relevant, family-friendly” while maintaining the original vision of the educationally-centered park," is honest, then I can't think of a better mantra for the park going forward.

I wonder if @marni1971 could comment on the direction Epcot is taking. The words from Chapek sound promising -- we all know that we aren't going to see a return to EPCOT Center and we know there will be more IP use but will the overall concepts/themes be harmonious with the history of the park? I'd like to think that this isn't just lip service and that they really are having WDI "dream big" in regards to WDW's troubled second gate.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I wonder if @marni1971 could comment on the direction Epcot is taking. The words from Chapek sound promising -- we all know that we aren't going to see a return to EPCOT Center and we know there will be more IP use but will the overall concepts/themes be harmonious with the history of the park? I'd like to think that this isn't just lip service and that they really are having WDI "dream big" in regards to WDW's troubled second gate.
Don't read too much into the soundbites.

From what I understand there will be more of a cohesive theme, especially in Futureworld. Like there used to be. Some mistakes from the 90s will be fixed. But there are several IPs proposed for various places around the park. Almost every attraction proposed is IP driven. There are other proposed projects not IP driven, and some makeovers proposed that are currently original, but Chapek is determined to drive synergy deeper into the parks.

WDI is dreaming big. And want a colossal budget. But under Chapeks directive.

doctornick

OK. Truth be told, I'd rather see a "dream big" healthy budget approach to the parks that requires IP to be used than the alternative we've seen in the past decade of very little investment. Hopefully, the occasional non-IP passion project might find its way in sometime as well.

Chapek at least seems to be saying (mostly) the right things. Hopefully, the money gets dedicated to making things a reality.

UpAllNight

Bit random but I've sounded off in a few threads about my frustration at Disneys pace....however in 2015 I visited for the first time in ages and to me the place felt stale in places.

Fast forward just over a year and atleast their has been an acknowledgment that DHS and Epcot aren't up to scratch. That's something after a decade of very little at WDW. Atleast there's some excitement that something is atleast happening.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
we are still a bit away from d23 so I imagine plans will be more concrete round summer?
The things to happen first are pretty much a go. There's more down the line that's not confirmed or funded or jostling for position. So far as I know there would have been more announced this week about concrete plans but it was recently pulled.

dreamscometrue

Don't read too much into the soundbites.

From what I understand there will be more of a cohesive theme, especially in Futureworld. Like there used to be. Some mistakes from the 90s will be fixed. But there are several IPs proposed for various places around the park. Almost every attraction proposed is IP driven. There are other proposed projects not IP driven, and some makeovers proposed that are currently original, but Chapek is determined to drive synergy deeper into the parks.

Original ideas would be wonderful. And, I don't have a problem with IP per se, I'd just like some of it to be authentic Disney IP, and not only Marvel or Star Wars.

jt04

You always take the contrarian view, which sometimes ends up being correct. That doesn't mean you're right most or even very much of the time:

Here you are believing the same news everyone else did.

In this instance you're praising new management for taking out TZ, even though this same managment you love to praise has just decided to keep TZ. Hmm, maybe they're not as good as you thought?

"Limited shelf life." Tell that to Chapek.

"Not a longterm IP for Disney."

You get a lot of grief, and some of it is occasionally unfair, but posts like this demonstrate why there is a general frustration with your content. Constantly chiding our sources is unfair and rude.

My spidey senses indicate something new and bold someday. Maybe years from now but I think we will see a Disney IP instead of TZ. Not really a stretch.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Original ideas would be wonderful. And, I don't have a problem with IP per se, I'd just like some of it to be authentic Disney IP, and not only Marvel or Star Wars.

At this point, Marvel and Star Wars are authentic Disney. As much as people now think of Pixar as being Disney.

Don't forget that a lot of what you may consider to be authentic Disney were public domain or bought properties. Alice in Wonderland, Mary Poppins, Pooh, Beauty and the Beast, Peter Pan, The Little Mermaid, the Ice Queen (Elsa), etc... were all adaptations of other people's works. Mickey and friends are one of the few original Disney IPs.

The time will come when you'll be talking to a twenty-something and you'll find out they have absolutely no idea that Star Wars and Marvel were once non-Disney properties. For them, they will have been always authentic Disney.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom