Desperately in Need of Top Hat Groom Ears!

KJ1081

Original Poster
My fiance and I are getting married on Castaway Cay in May, and we REALLY want to wear wedding ears for our civil ceremony in port and for the Magic Kingdom photo shoot. I've been looking online and I can't find any of the top hat style groom ears. The few sites that list them have them on back order. My fiance hates to new tuxedo style ears, so I need to find a pair of the top hat ones! Anyone know where I can find any? At this point, I'll take anything, even used ones! Thank you in advance and I appreciate any help you can give!

Sweet Melissa

Do you know your fiancé's hat size? I ask because the top hat ears are on the smallish side and it's possible that your fiancé may be more comfortable in a homemade pair anyway. If that's the case, you can purchase your own top hat (of quality of your own choosing), remove the ears from any old Mickey ears hat, and attach them to the top hat by sewing, staples, hot glue or some other fashion. And if a top hat isn't really his thing anyway, I've also seen people do the same thing with a plain black baseball cap.

DrummerAlly

Ah...yes. I get a bit dopey towards the end of the day. :dazzle:

The Disney Florist has an "Ears to the Bride and Groom" package that includes the top-hat ears - it says to call for pricing (which probably means it costs more than a small car) but possibly worth investigating!

http://www.disneyflorist.com/produc...orldflorist-ears-to-the-bride-groom-1/display

I'm pretty sure the Ears to the Bride and Groom package is in the realm of $150. I also noticed that there's a disclaimer on there saying that anything in the package can be replaced with similar items of equal or greater value (read: ugly tuxedo ears).

My husband and I also went nuts looking for the top hat style ears. We eventually decided to the "just married" buttons brought us way more than enough attention. We did see more than a handful of people wearing the older style in the parks and I believe I recall seeing them in a shop in downtown disney, but we didn't see them many places (if at all).

Good luck!

Do an ebay search with keywords "mickey groom hat". Go to the completed listings. You'll see that one particular seller just sold 3 hats. Send the seller a message asking if there are any more that will be listed.

You can also save a search on ebay (if you're registered) and they will email you when a certain kind of item is listed. Good luck!!

KJ1081

Original Poster
Thanks for the help everyone! I've tried both Disney mail order and florist, and neither has them. According to the author of the Passporters Weddings and Honeymoons book, who I chat with on another forum, the top hat ears haven't been discontinued but are back ordered everywhere. Disney's substituting the tuxedo style ears in gift baskets until the top hat ones are back in stock. Right after we got engaged (on our last Disney trip) he tried the ears on the the Chapeau and he loved them even though they were a little small. Thanks for letting me know about the guy on ebay- I'm off to try that! Thanks for all your help!

ErickainPA

sorry, we had the top hat one, but I finally just got rid of them. They were painful after about 2-3 days of my hubby wearing them when we married in 2001. He had a red mark and slight dent in his forehead from the hat, we went to the buttons after that.

I sent you a PM because the Disney Groom Hat you're looking for was listed on ebay.

There is another one listed right now with a buy it now for $14.99.

Tiggerish

Resident Redhead
Premium Member
KJ1081, stick with your search for the top hat ears, or do as someone suggested and attach ears to a black baseball cap. I've been at WDW all week and have seen a few guys wearing the newer groom ears, and let's just say they are not really a good look for anyone. :eek: (with apologies to anyone reading who may have been wearing them, really sorry.)

HollyBelle

I just asked my DFTW planner and she told me that they were in fact discontinued and at this time they've sold completely out of the item in the parks. :cry: Looks like we'll be making ours!

I'm so with you on the new tuxedo ones, Siobhan. Who designed that thing!? There's just way too much going on there, and NOT in a good way.

KJ1081

Original Poster
I looked for them for you last week while I was in the world. I didn't find them.:(

Aww thank you! Best TA ever! Awhile back I got a used pair as a backup, since he'll be wearing them on the cruise and for the MK photo shoot and he trashes hats, so even though I wanted a brand new pair for the wedding they're better than nothing.

DizneyPryncess

sorry, we had the top hat one, but I finally just got rid of them. They were painful after about 2-3 days of my hubby wearing them when we married in 2001. He had a red mark and slight dent in his forehead from the hat, we went to the buttons after that.

Ditto on this. Making your own seems to be a good option. My husband hated that hat after just hours of wearing it. There's staples in it that dug into his head, and there were dents & red marks everywhere. Not to mention it made his head sweat profusely in the summer heat. If we had to do it over again, I'm certain he'd be on board for making something more comfortable. :)

Good luck!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom