News DeSantis moves to bring state safety oversight of the Walt Disney World Monorail including suspending the service for inspections

pdude81

This is one of those things that if used maliciously it could be bad. But if used correctly is a nonissue. If FDOT needs to inspect the monorails, or any of the transportation for that matter, why would it be a problem? Disney should be at the very very least running at state level standards.

If anything the state standard should be an easier inspection than Disneys private standards
It's at a minimum being used for leverage. We'll see whether or not things are on the up and up until the Federal and state lawsuits are resolved to show that the state reeeeeeeeaaaalllllyyyy cares about safety, or whether the idea is to disrupt operations however it can legally be done.

Disstevefan1

It’s not about safety. WDW has already proven safety for over 50 years at WDW.

I worry that this will result in the closure of an already proven to be safe monorail system.

JoeCamel

Otis elevator has proven safety for over 100 years, yet elevators are inspected by governmental safety agencies every year.
Are they or do they collect a fee and issue a certificate with minimal actual inspection? I don't know the answer but like health inspections it may be less than a complete vetting of all aspects of operation

MandaM

He can admit why he is doing it for voters. Politicians and their teams rile people up all the time while carefully crafting it different to how it is said. This is why it is not a quick court case. You can bet lawyers would be getting rich quick if it was easy to decide as unconstitutional.

Often the issue is both sides believe the same thing, that he is punishing a company. He punishing a government affiliation.

Unfortunately for Disney, they had a strength that was a weakness for this kind of thing. If the law does not specially say Disney, but rather local government regulation, than there is not a cut and dry case.

It can be messed up but still not unconstitutional.
In a separate ruling today, in which yet another court found DeSantis violated the 1st amendment, the judge stated that “if a government actor’s controlling motivation behind an adverse action is gaining political benefit from punishing protected activity, the government actor flouts the First Amendment.” There’s no way that doesn’t apply here.

celluloid

In a separate ruling today, in which yet another court found DeSantis violated the 1st amendment, the judge stated that “if a government actor’s controlling motivation behind an adverse action is gaining political benefit from punishing protected activity, the government actor flouts the First Amendment.” There’s no way that doesn’t apply here.

Disney should hope for the same judge...if the ruling actually goes into situation.

You would also need to look at this case, and see if it was a Reedy Creek kind of situation

Adverse action against(as in direct)....that is the key.

Disney is not Reedy Creek. Disney if affiliated with it. We will have to see how the judge(s) on the case when the time comes judges.

I believe this case was on the situation where he suspended an employee right?

Last edited:

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
Disney should hope for the same judge...if the ruling actually goes into situation.

You would also need to look at this case, and see if it was a Reedy Creek kind of situation

Adverse action against(as in direct)....that is the key.

Disney is not Reedy Creek. Disney if affiliated with it. We will have to see how the judge(s) on the case when the time comes judges.

I believe this case was on the situation where he suspended an employee right?
It wasn’t one judge. It was the eleventh circuit court of appeals with a 3 judge panel. Also quite a different case. I still think he will lose this Disney one, but not using this other case as a barometer.

Disstevefan1

In my opinion, the ruling you speak of is not the same as RCID changing to CFTOD.

I am not a fan of you know who. In my opinion, RCID changing to CFTOD was done to obviously hurt TWDC, but I also think could hurt the state, local business and taxpayers, although its too early to tell.

In my opinion, CFTOD will never revert back to RCID. We will have to live with CFTOD and hope it does not do too much damage to the state, local business and taxpayers.

TrainsOfDisney

you were the one that referred to them as monorails, which was incorrect. I'd hope the FDOT would know the difference, but it's not like there are monorails everywhere so it will be a unique experience for them.
I did not, I said the Jacksonville FL system is a monorail and I said the system at Orlando Airport has many similarities to the WDW monorail system (rubber tires, concrete guide, automatic doors, peoplemover system, electric powered).

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
What about the Disney buses and other vehicles in the WDW fleet?
Are those Florida license plates on the back? Then the passenger vehicles in their fleet would be subject to the same inspections. Busses and mass transit, I'm not sure about, since those lack seatbelts and other safety equipment that normal passenger vehicles have, but they'd at least have emissions inspections.

JoeCamel

Are those Florida license plates on the back? Then the passenger vehicles in their fleet would be subject to the same inspections. Busses and mass transit, I'm not sure about, since those lack seatbelts and other safety equipment that normal passenger vehicles have, but they'd at least have emissions inspections.
Florida doesn't have emissions inspections?

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
Florida doesn't have emissions inspections?

It doesn't. Not for over 20 years, and even then only in some counties IIRC.

However, your car is still required to comply with federal emissions regulations. So even though you can get away with registering a car without catalytic converters that spews black smoke in Florida, if a police officer wants to, FL Statute 316.610 lets them stop you and either cite you or order you to take the vehicle off the road for it to be repaired and brought back up to compliance.

JoeCamel

It doesn't. Not for over 20 years, and even then only in some counties IIRC.

However, your car is still required to comply with federal emissions regulations. So even though you can get away with registering a car without catalytic converters that spews black smoke in Florida, if a police officer wants to, FL Statute 316.610 lets them stop you and either cite you or order you to take the vehicle off the road for it to be repaired and brought back up to compliance.
Theoretically, in practice gross emitters are only cited if there are other violations

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom