Deputy charged with breaking into car at Disney, stealing kids' money while on duty

Innkeeper's Club

Original Poster
http://articles.orlandosentinel.com..._1_purse-deputies-law-enforcement-credentials

Deputy charged with breaking into car at Disney, stealing kids' money while on duty

By Amy Pavuk, Orlando Sentinel

An Orange County deputy was arrested on charges that he broke into a minivan while on duty at Disney's Hollywood Studios and stole children's' money.

Kirk Smurawa, who has worked for the Sheriff's Office for 10 years, was charged with armed burglary of a conveyance and petit theft.

A Sheriff's Office report released Wednesday said Smurawa was under surveillance by other deputies as he patrolled a parking lot at the theme park Tuesday afternoon.

Deputies watched as Smurawa opened the passenger door of a minivan and walked away from the rental vehicle with a silver or grey purse.

Deputies said Smurawa took the purse back to his marked patrol car, sat in the vehicle, walked back to the minivan, and then tossed the purse on the ground under the driver's side front door.

Smurawa then drove away from the area in his car.

Deputies stopped Smurawa, who confessed to taking the purse and taking cash from two small children's wallets he found inside the purse.

The owner of the purse told the Sheriff's Office there was about $55 in her children's wallets.

Smurawa was arrested, relieved of duty without pay, and his law-enforcement credentials were revoked pending an administrative review.

apavuk@tribune.com or 407-420-5735

Copyright © 2012, Orlando Sentinel

mergatroid

An Orange County deputy was arrested on charges that he broke into a minivan while on duty at Disney's Hollywood Studios and stole children's' money.

Kirk Smurawa, who has worked for the Sheriff's Office for 10 years, was charged with armed burglary of a conveyance and petit theft.

A Sheriff's Office report released Wednesday said Smurawa was under surveillance by other deputies as he patrolled a parking lot at the theme park Tuesday afternoon.

Deputies watched as Smurawa opened the passenger door of a minivan and walked away from the rental vehicle with a silver or grey purse.

Deputies said Smurawa took the purse back to his marked patrol car, sat in the vehicle, walked back to the minivan, and then tossed the purse on the ground under the driver's side front door.

Smurawa then drove away from the area in his car.

Deputies stopped Smurawa, who confessed to taking the purse and taking cash from two small children's wallets he found inside the purse.

The owner of the purse told the Sheriff's Office there was about $55 in her children's wallets.

Smurawa was arrested, relieved of duty without pay, and his law-enforcement credentials were revoked pending an administrative review.

Incredible, 10 year career for $55 :eek:

accord99cutie

Premium Member
Why would you leave your car unlocked???

Not that it is right by any means what the "officer" did, but I was thinking the same thing. Why would you leave your car unlocked? I don't even leave my car unlocked when I go into a gas station! Nevermind if I'm gonna be in a park all day!!!

Innkeeper's Club

Original Poster
I wish Walt Disney World truly would become its very own world & country with its own police department and all.
I already thought they had some rules which the Orlando Police and Orange County Sheriff's must follow while on WDW property.

Plus don't they have rules that the Orlando news media can't actually report on WDW property because I always seen them standing outside the entrance at the Crossroads on 535.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
Something tells me if he was under surveillance, this wasn't an isolated incident

My first thought also.
Why would you leave your car unlocked???
Are we sure the van was unlocked and he didn't jimmy the lock?

I'm not sure of the technicalities of burglary, but it seems to me that burglary involves breaking into something? (if a vehicle is unlocked, wouldn't it just be trespassing?) :shrug:

Slowjack

Are we sure the van was unlocked and he didn't jimmy the lock?

I'm not sure of the technicalities of burglary, but it seems to me that burglary involves breaking into something? (if a vehicle is unlocked, wouldn't it just be trespassing?) :shrug:
Locked or unlocked, I think stealing from a car is larceny. Burglary is breaking into a building with the intent to commit theft or another crime. Trespass also requires property, not a car. In any case, the article says he was "breaking in" to the car so I assume it was locked before he got there.

Not that it is right by any means what the "officer" did, but I was thinking the same thing. Why would you leave your car unlocked? I don't even leave my car unlocked when I go into a gas station! Nevermind if I'm gonna be in a park all day!!!

I was thinking the same thing. Just the other day I went to the gas station and left my kids in the car with the engine running. I thought to myself, self, you should really lock the doors. What if someone comes by and tries to steal the car. I mean really. Besides, I usually keep lots of money in there and I should be more responsible than to just walk away and take for granted that it will be there when I come back.
We all need to have more personal responsibility for our belongings. :lol:

Jakester

And this is why WHEREVER I GO, I ALWAYS lock my truck, and make sure ALL the windows are rolled up.
Can't even trust a police officer

Timekeeper

Locked or unlocked, I think stealing from a car is larceny. Burglary is breaking into a building with the intent to commit theft or another crime. Trespass also requires property, not a car. In any case, the article says he was "breaking in" to the car so I assume it was locked before he got there.

Contrary to common belief, "breaking" does not require an actual "breaking in." For example, even if a window or door is unlocked, simply "opening" it constitutes "breaking" for purposes of establishing the act being prohibited by law.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom