Depp out as Sparrow - Sparrow out of Pirates?

Model3 McQueen

In the Parks
No
Just gotta keep bleeding this series don't they. I enjoyed the trilogy (though I had to watch the 2nd and 3rd a few times to really understand them). 4 was okay, but 5 was atrocious. Why can't they just let these movies go?

Hatbox Ghostbuster

Just gotta keep bleeding this series don't they. I enjoyed the trilogy (though I had to watch the 2nd and 3rd a few times to really understand them). 4 was okay, but 5 was atrocious. Why can't they just let these movies go?
Because of cash money.
200.gif

TROR

Original Poster
Just recast them all with Chinese actors and set it all in China. That's the only place they make any money.

GabeP

I'd think the transgressions leveled against Rush are a lot worse than anything Depp ever has done. If anything, remove Barbossa from the pirate ship battle scene and bring back the original pirate.

Phroobar

I'd think the transgressions leveled against Rush are a lot worse than anything Depp ever has done. If anything, remove Barbossa from the pirate ship battle scene and bring back the original pirate.
I always thought Rush was gay.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Various outlets keep repeating this story from just one not-totally-plugged-in source with various forms of clickbaity titles.

So.... still unconfirmed.

Maeryk

I apologize in advance for this. Why are they against Depp?

I don't know that they are. It might just be Jack that is hackneyed and worn.

There's a bit of a tweet campaign against Depp due to Rowling "daring" to use him in the new movies, based on allegations made and retracted during an ugly divorce.

DanielBB8

Aside from being accused of wife abuse, he is unreliable, deeply in debt, an actual alcoholic and drug abuser, and all around mess. Disney had to cut him loose for his bad publicity and his price is way too high.

DanielBB8

Just recast them all with Chinese actors and set it all in China. That's the only place they make any money.
Not really. At World’s End featuring Chow Yun Fat was cut when screened in China for they found offense with a Chinese stereotype. This type of movie must be specifically made for the Chinese market and it won’t be Pirates. Instead, just give them what everyone else sees. Depp is overdone. He’s out. End of story.

Phroobar

Aside from being accused of wife abuse, he is unreliable, deeply in debt, an actual alcoholic and drug abuser, and all around mess. Disney had to cut him loose for his bad publicity and his price is way too high.
He sounds like Robert Downy Jr. before he cleaned himself up and did Ironman. We will see Depp again after he does that and he will be cheap to hire.

Ismael Flores

I don't know that they are. It might just be Jack that is hackneyed and worn.

There's a bit of a tweet campaign against Depp due to Rowling "daring" to use him in the new movies, based on allegations made and retracted during an ugly divorce.

He is working for Rowling and Warner Bros. he is the main villian in the Potter movies that started last year and continue this year with the second installment

Crunchie9

Is Disney trying to ruin every part of their brand. I know at the end of the day they can cut costs by not having him in it but this is just another key point that Disney is watering down their quality while trying to maintain revenues.
Dark days ahead.

1HAPPYGHOSTHOST

Is Disney trying to ruin every part of their brand. I know at the end of the day they can cut costs by not having him in it but this is just another key point that Disney is watering down their quality while trying to maintain revenues.
Dark days ahead.
Once this new movie bombs they will bring Depp back. All of his Pirate movies made a profit and they need to close the new story they set up with will and elizabeth and the return of Davey Jones. One last film with the 3 main characters again is what it will be. Depp did nothing wrong and the fact people are blacklisting him is shameful. Never should have lost his Harry Potter spinoff role.

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
In the theatrical window:

Pirates 3 didn't make that much profit.
Pirates 4 lost $90M because of the obscene cost of the movie's budget
Pirates 5 had a little bit of a loss.

Guess where most of the budget went? Pirates 5 reigned it in a bit, but still had a net loss.

Depp costs too much and his personal life is an albatross.

1HAPPYGHOSTHOST

In the theatrical window:

Pirates 3 didn't make that much profit.
Pirates 4 lost $90M because of the obscene cost of the movie's budget
Pirates 5 had a little bit of a loss.

Guess where most of the budget went? Pirates 5 reigned it in a bit, but still had a net loss.

Depp costs too much and his personal life is an albatross.
Pirates 3 made a huge profit. all of them made a profit. thats why they kept making them.

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
Pirates 3 made a huge profit. all of them made a profit. thats why they kept making them.
Pirates 4 had a budget of $411M. That is HUGE.

As a rule of thumb, the one that trade papers such as Deadline follows, is that the true cost of a movie once you add in advertising and hidden administrative charges is that the real budget is one and half times that as advertised. Thus the budget for P4 is $617M.

The other rule of thumb is that the Box Office take is split evenly between the theaters and the production company (again, Deadline's rule of thumb given that the split percentages change over time and are not as good for production companies overseas). So, the BO of $1,046M means Disney got
$523M.

That's a loss of $94M.

Last edited by a moderator:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom