Depp out as Sparrow - Sparrow out of Pirates?

Maeryk

I doubt it. It's not like they are erasing the Depp movies from the collective consciousness. It still moves merchandise, and gets people on the rides, and made Disney a tidy sum. Of course, if he pulls a Cosby or Geoffrey Jones, then you might see Sparrow erased from the rides.. otherwise, I think you will have what you have now for a good decade or more.

Hatbox Ghostbuster

I'd love for them to revert to the attraction's Depp-free original state.

Speaking of, when I was on it last Sunday I noticed they removed the rum-swilling, kitty-loving Old Bill from his post along the banks of the river. I do hope he's alright.

TwilightZone

I honestly believe they will at some point. The pirates movies are not nearly as popular as they used to be. I hope they can keep some of the depp animatronics though. Just reskin them into generic pirates.

Last edited:

Hatbox Ghostbuster

While I don't lament the loss of Davy Jones' mist projection AT ALL, I do kind of miss that subtle transition from cave to "reality" that I've always felt should be accompanied by some sort of mist or fog. Don't get me wrong, I love the new prisoner/octopus/original audio additions...but I would just like more atmosphere as you approach the fort scene.

mickEblu

I like your positive thinking @TROR

Here’s my half glass empty thoughts. Depp out as Sparrow. Sparrow out of POTC. POTC gets Reboot treatment with more changes and maybe some Shanghai tech.

Here’s to hoping it bombs.

mickEblu

While I don't lament the loss of Davy Jones' mist projection AT ALL, I do kind of miss that subtle transition from cave to "reality" that I've always felt should be accompanied by some sort of mist or fog. Don't get me wrong, I love the new prisoner/octopus/original audio additions...but I would just like more atmosphere as you approach the fort scene.

They could easily add 2 or 3 fog machines there and it would be the perfect transition. Old dialogue, new scene, no Davy Jones and Fog.

BasiltheBatLord

The only way the movie stuff will be removed is if there comes a time when the nostalgic appeal of “Original PotC!” becomes greater than the appeal of the movie franchise. Which could plausibly happen one day, but who knows.

George Lucas on a Bench

I don't really like the new part at all. It's not offensive or anything, but it's a random squid and some guy in a cage or something? Somehow, it was more baffling than sort of seeing a squidhead thing in mist and just made me go "What the?" The waterfall was kinda charming and fun to pass through.

D.Silentu

They could easily add 2 or 3 fog machines there and it would be the perfect transition. Old dialogue, new scene, no Davy Jones and Fog.
I don't think they'd have to add anything, simply turn on the mist screen that is already installed.

If they were to remove Jack, I would think the only one that really needs to go is at the ride's end. Both previous finales were better, and I daresay I liked the World of Motion figures even better than the original pirate. He still has a place in the ride anyway. However, I've never thought the third Jack scene works. The supposed "fortune in gold" is paltry compared to what we have seen in the caves. What he has to say is not very funny or interesting, but it is incessant. To me the worst part is that something has always seemed wrong about his character model. He looks artificial. It has been suggested to me that perhaps we are too close to it. This might be the case, as I don't notice the problem in the other two.

It might be fun to leave the first Jack in the ride as a sort of easter egg, seeing as now more than ever he is not the focus of the scene. The other two can go, but not before the original pirate captain's dialogue is restored. Along with the third Jack, I find that is the most distracting change.

Last edited:

TwilightZone

To me the real crime with 2006 PotC has nothing to do with the Jack AA's and everything to do with the script re-writes. The story was simple and required no explanation before (Pirates sack Caribbean town for loot and debauchery), now it makes no sense (Pirates sack Caribbean town for Jack Sparrow... Why?).
I always assumed it was a mix of both for Sparrow POTC.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom